PDA

View Full Version : Steering Wheel Part

DBMaster
04-17-2012, 06:12 AM
I do not know exactly what the part is called, but it's a plastic ring-type connector just inside the steering wheel. Mine makes noises as the wheel rotates, especially when it's cold outside. I tried teflon lube spray on it last year and it quieted it down for a bit, but the noise is back. Majestic no longer carries the part.

Have any of you successfully lubed the thing, or do I need to go to the J/Y?

Thanks!

Dr_Snooz
04-17-2012, 07:50 AM
Can you post a pic of the part?

DBMaster
04-17-2012, 11:25 AM
Maybe after I pull the steering wheel. :)

I am going to try to get a bit of white lithium grease squeezed in there, but I'll take a pic while I'm at it.

What I think the part does is allow the cruise control switches on the wheel to maintain appropriate electrical connections while spinning freely as the SW turns.

ShyBoyCA6
04-17-2012, 11:56 AM
Are you talking about the white plastic for the turn signals?

DBMaster
04-17-2012, 12:27 PM
No, it's actually black plastic and it has an inner ring that rotates with the steering wheel within an outer ring. I am pretty sure it is connected to the cruise control buttons. I'll post a pic when I remove the wheel.

ShyBoyCA6
04-17-2012, 01:31 PM
I think I know what your talking about. You can try greasing it up a bit. But if it was me I would replace it with a JY one.

DBMaster
04-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Yeah, it's definitely connected to the cruise control switches. I just pulled the SW. I guess the problem is that it seems to spin smoothly so now I am not 100% sure that's where the noise is originating. It could be a bearing in the column. Right now it's just not worth the effort to start further disassembly of the column. It does seem like my teflon spray lube (Super Lube brand) was effective. I think my next project is going to end up being replacement of the D/S power window motor so I'll leave this minor annoyance alone for a while.

Sorry, Snooz, too lazy to mess with a photo, but when you pull the wheel on a cruise control equipped model you have to pull a three-pronged plug from the part I am talking about. The wires connected to that plug come from the cruise control buttons.

DBMaster
04-18-2012, 06:10 AM
Want to hear something weird? After checking this part it seemed like there was no reason it should have been noisy. I spun it round and round and the operation was 100% smooth. After putting the wheel back together the noise is gone. Now, I know that "machines don't fix themselves" (quote form the movie "Brazil"), but this is strange.

My cruise control still works but I NEVER use it. Makes me think I should just yank everything.

import racer
04-18-2012, 05:28 PM
Two of the contacts are for cruise and one is for horn.so if you take it out you have to connect the blue wires so the horn still works.I used di-electric grease on mine and it didn't make any more noises.

obdriver6
04-18-2012, 06:02 PM
Mine did that a while ago. I just reused some of the extra grease that was in there since I didn't have any grease at that time.

conozo
04-18-2012, 06:17 PM
I think the part your talking about is called the clock spring.

its possible you fixed it because an unecessary broken price fell out as you were taking it apart

DBMaster
04-19-2012, 05:40 AM
^^lol!

senor honda
05-09-2012, 10:41 AM
Is it possible the rubbing noise is coming from somewhere
that is not the ring? Sometimes the housing around the s-wheel
is rubbing, sometimes due to a missing screw.-Bob