PDA

View Full Version : Is It Normal or Am I DOOMED?

NVMyMPG
04-21-2012, 05:52 AM
OK maybe a little melodramatic but.

I have the auto in my 87 LXi. It seems to shift just fine but when I pull it out of reverse into D4 or back up into Park I hear a little grinding noise. Kind of like a synchro grind in a manual when the synchro is getting week and not lining up the gears completely. It still shifts and it doesn't seem too bad. I am wondering if that is normal at 188K and not to worry about it or should I start collecting the parts to convert to a 5speed?

Bassmastry101
04-21-2012, 06:32 AM
If your about to swap for a manual, then I wouldn't worry about it too much.

conozo
04-21-2012, 06:24 PM
The auto transmission in these Hondas will make the quick grinding noise only when changing from between reverse, neutral, drive, or park. It's normal because of the locking torque converter. It locks together to improve gas mileage but will make a quick grinding sound. I want to make it clear that it does not make any sounds when switching from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd and so on

NVMyMPG
04-22-2012, 08:51 AM
Thanks Conozo. Sounds like mine is acting normal. While a 5 speed is in the future I did not want to have to do it for a while so this is great news. Thanks.

ArkyHog88
04-22-2012, 08:22 PM
Mine does the same thing but I'm looking at a 5-speed swap so I'm just hoping it makes it a few more months. @Conozo, how does the lock-up torque convertor have anything to do with the sound? The TC only locks up at around 45-50mph and in top gear. I'm assuming it's a design flaw w/ these autos then?

Dr_Snooz
04-22-2012, 08:43 PM
When you're experiencing any kind of trans issues, it never hurts to start with a flush and TV cable adjustment.

conozo
04-23-2012, 08:19 AM
Mine does the same thing but I'm looking at a 5-speed swap so I'm just hoping it makes it a few more months. @Conozo, how does the lock-up torque convertor have anything to do with the sound? The TC only locks up at around 45-50mph and in top gear. I'm assuming it's a design flaw w/ these autos then?

Yes you are correct that it only locks up around higher speeds, I don't know all the intricacies of how it works but from all the automatic 3gs ive heard. Its normal to have a sound.

2oodoor
04-23-2012, 08:40 AM
The ones I have had make a clack thump sound during these same times.
I was assuming it was mounts or pitching out of the CV axle end play from not having a good lock clip.