PDA

View Full Version : 89 accord LX HELP.

Primonious
04-26-2012, 11:35 AM
i have a 4 door auto 89 accord Lx that was idling between 2000 & 2500 so i checked it out and saw that the choke lever(?) or the linkage so to speak wasnt connected which was leavin my choke plate hangin open. so i slipped the lever back in place then i went to start it up cold and it went to 2000rpm then dropped to 1000 then died out all within a matter of seconds. now it wont start at all, the engine's turnin over it just wont start. so i pulled the lever back out to how it was but it still wont start. 99% sure its the choke since thats what made it stop startin lol but thats all ive got, what should my next move be?

2oodoor
04-26-2012, 01:18 PM
I dont know how you feel about thinkin outside the box but since you are familiar with the pieces there. Why not just remove that fast idle diaphragm with the choke linkage alltogether. I did that and all the haunted idle issues left and the car always started up fine without the choke. Put the screws back in it though after removing parts.

A20A1
04-26-2012, 07:54 PM
If the manifold is flooded with fuel it may take a while to start again. What does your car usually idle at? Maybe your idle speed was set too high and now it wont work with the choke properly. as for the fast idle I would toss it as roodoo2 suggested then rework the idle adjustments from there.

Primonious
05-01-2012, 10:56 AM
It idles at about 2250-2500 cold, and 2000 at operating temp..no matter how long I drive araround it won't drop below 2000rpms in park. I was thinkin the same thing a20a1 about it being set too high, but I'm not sure where the idle screw is to adjust it. And I'm considerin chuckin the fast idle if this doesn't workout.

A20A1
05-01-2012, 08:19 PM
Idle diaphragm screw is in the front of the carb near the throttle cable. There is also a throttle stop screw that is a black knob at the back of the carb, but I would only lower it if lowering the idle diaphragm screw has no effect.

So to check I would unscrew the idle diaphragm screw until it no longer presses against the throttle linkage or effects the idle speed. Then you can go to the back of the carb and lower the idle more with the throttle stop if you don't see a change in idle speed. Oh and also make sure the throttle cable isn't too tight or it will hold open the throttle.
more details can be found here
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46572

Primonious
05-05-2012, 02:43 PM
thanks i really appreciate it, ill check it out this week and let you know how it works for me.