PDA

View Full Version : automatic overdrive

bryan42688
04-27-2012, 08:58 AM
Feels like it goes in and out I don't even know if the car has od or not I have stage one vac removal is this ok , can i fix it , should I fix it let me know , thanks

Keachman1
04-27-2012, 03:29 PM
Sounds like you need to adjust your TV cable on your transmission. Do a search on here for the procedure or download the service manual. If the TV cable is not adjusted properly, the transmission will shift in and out of overdrive all the time.

A20A1
04-28-2012, 11:16 AM
Check this link on adjusting the auto trans http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40885

89cordcpe
05-12-2012, 07:49 PM
This was very helpful! Was wondering what was going on with my tranny! Thx!

Ayeobe
05-12-2012, 10:56 PM
Well, seeing as the topic is alredy started.. the lock-up, i imagine, is the actual solid drive from the engine to the transmission, which occurs at certain times, correct? I think mine is a bit odd. On the highway, the engine would rev high, and if i press down a certain ammount on the accelerator, itll seem to rev less, but accelerate. To me, it would suggest the lock-up engages when i press a bit lower on the accelerator. It dosnt have to be much, ither, just a bit more than "cruising" pressure, so that if i want that lock-up feel, i have to be accelerating, but if i let off of the gas, the revs would go up again, by maybe 1k or 2k, (never looked seein as i was on a highway at the time) and the car will slow, or keep steady at that speed again.
With the cruise control, itll do the same, with a 5km/h diffrence in speed. if i set it to 100, itll drop to 97, and then the revs will kinda slow by like 1-2k, and itll go back up to 103, and then itll come off, and the revs go up again, and the speed drops.. and the cycle repeats.

Does that sound like the TV cable?

I dont know much about automatics, as i've never owned an automatic, so any help is appreciated.

89cordcpe
05-13-2012, 12:39 AM
Well, seeing as the topic is alredy started.. the lock-up, i imagine, is the actual solid drive from the engine to the transmission, which occurs at certain times, correct? I think mine is a bit odd. On the highway, the engine would rev high, and if i press down a certain ammount on the accelerator, itll seem to rev less, but accelerate. To me, it would suggest the lock-up engages when i press a bit lower on the accelerator. It dosnt have to be much, ither, just a bit more than "cruising" pressure, so that if i want that lock-up feel, i have to be accelerating, but if i let off of the gas, the revs would go up again, by maybe 1k or 2k, (never looked seein as i was on a highway at the time) and the car will slow, or keep steady at that speed again.
With the cruise control, itll do the same, with a 5km/h diffrence in speed. if i set it to 100, itll drop to 97, and then the revs will kinda slow by like 1-2k, and itll go back up to 103, and then itll come off, and the revs go up again, and the speed drops.. and the cycle repeats.

I dont know much about automatics, as i've never owned an automatic, so any help is appreciated.

That's exactly what mine is doing! :wtf:

2oodoor
05-13-2012, 01:01 AM

so think about it, you move the pedel ever so slightly and it affects it, so adjust the tv cable ever so slightly right...
The tv moves at the same time the throttle cable moves, putting the tv lever in a position to allow shift. To make it less sensative you would make the cable longer, by adjusting so the housing is shorter. If you look at the link provided early in this thread you well see.

Any of you that have experience with small engine equipment, bikes or maybe two stroke golf carts should understand how important these cable adjustments are and theory.
another way to check this is to have someone floor the gas pedal, engine off, and go out to see if the tv lever is fully pulled up. If it is then you need to let some slack out, about eight mm. free travel should be at the end, when fully depressed.

Ayeobe
05-13-2012, 08:15 AM
Good stuff. I read the whole thread that was linked, and ill be doing the adjustment tomorrow, once i have time to do so. Looking forward to it being fixed!