PDA

View Full Version : Car dying while driving

CzEcHy
04-27-2012, 11:36 AM
Its happened 4 times now. Random times, twice while driving down the freeway at around 65 mph and around 20 minutes of driving. The other times just got into my car so like a minute of driving and between 15-25mph.

Car will suddenly lose engine power like its not getting fuel, and will just slowly lose rpms until I put it into neutral then it dies completly. First time it happened it started right back up perfectly and I went home 15 miles away with no problems.

But now its starting to not start after it happens. Engine just cranks but won't turn over for 5 to 10 minutes. Then it'll all of the sudden start perfectly fine and be on its way.

Car is 89 lxi 5 speed, no engine codes no engine light.

Any ideas?

CzEcHy
04-27-2012, 11:15 PM
K. Hung out with itzdave tonight, on the way back home it lost power, died, took 5 minutes till it would start up. Got 2 miles down the road, same thing, then got 7 miles and it lost power and wouldn't start again. Got towed home.

Anybody have any ideas?

Also, does the fuel pump make noise when the ignition is on? Cause I took the cover off while waiting for a tow and it was dead silent with the key turned on/trying to start car.

A18A
04-27-2012, 11:35 PM
yes the fuel pump is supposed to make noise. you probably have a faulty main relay. very common problem with hondas. search the forums for main relay replacement or fix and you should be sweet

CzEcHy
04-28-2012, 01:01 AM
Would that cause it to randomly die, then have a hard time starting after it dies?

It starts, idles and drives perfect any other time.

A18A
04-28-2012, 01:04 AM
yup.

CzEcHy
04-28-2012, 12:55 PM
Took out relay, saw one pin was missing solder so I added some solder crappily and voila. Problem seems fixed until my new relay arrives. Guess that was the issue? Hope so..

Oldblueaccord
05-02-2012, 03:49 PM
Main relay also control spark I believe. Pull the drawing up its 2 relays in one. One for the pump and one for spark.

if you checked for spark I would say you had none.

wp

rodan32
05-23-2012, 05:51 PM
Did replacing the relay fix your problem? I'm having the exact same problem in my 88 LXi hatch and would love to know if that did the trick.

rodan32
05-23-2012, 08:15 PM
I went ahead and pulled the thing out anyway; the symptoms are so close I figure it's got to be this. I was pulling off the freeway today and it just killed when I was downshifting on the offramp. I pulled over and fiddled with stuff, and about 10 minutes later, it just started up. I got home without an issue, but I would hate getting stranded with my commute (I-405 between Kent and Bellevue, WA - it's a mess).

I'll let you guys know if this solves it. In the meantime, I guess it's motorcycle weather. . .

rodan32
05-24-2012, 04:35 PM
No luck with a new relay. I'm thinking fuel pump at this point.