PDA

View Full Version : Yet another clutch question

como 2nd gen civic
04-27-2012, 06:32 PM
OK, I've done some (lots) of searching and downloaded the manual, but I still have a few questions about my clutch. It never fully engages and pushes the friction disk off the flywheel, so it creeps in first gear (and wont shift into 1st gear or reverse from a full stop if its running) but it doesn't slip like a clutch with a worn friction disk. The previous owners replaced the clutch cable, but when i picked up the car, the clutch was adjusted so that the cable was always putting tension on the linkage. So I adjusted it correctly, and for about a day it was fine but now its creeping though stop signs again! Also the clutch itself is only about 3 years old.
Basically I think its gotta be either that the clutch cable was damaged and stretched by the improper installation, (or is some how "springy") or that the pressure plate is f'd up. So I was hoping that someone could measure the angle of the clutch linkage lever on the transmission end when the clutch pedal is on the floor, because even with the car creeping like it does now, the clutch linkage is moving, I just don't know if its moving far enough, and it'd be easier to measure that than to pull the trans off or replace the clutch cable.

OK well, hello and thanks to everyone on 3geez!

PS I hope I get to 5 posts soon because ive got some pix to upload, fixing the door/seatbelt light and some other stuff!

Hauntd ca3
04-28-2012, 03:17 AM
chances are that if the previous owner ran around for 3 years with a clutch cable that was to tight, the clutch is prob screwed.
the cable should have the slightest amount of slack in it when the pedal is released, just like a throttle cable.
if it doesnt, its never going to work properly and will end up slipping a wee bit all the time until its stuffed

vteckiller
04-28-2012, 11:46 AM
Mine did the same thing kinda.. was my clutch cable got too tight and it allowed my clutch to sit there and spin while semi engaged causing my clutch to get fried.. i fixed it a week later and luckily i didn't ruin my clutch.
there is a lil adjustment spot like directly above the transmission.. does your clutch finally grab when your clutch pedal is almost all the way up before engaged?

como 2nd gen civic
04-29-2012, 07:35 AM
the clutch cable was only on the car while it sat for like 6 months, but it was adjusted waaaay too tight, but when i re-adjusted it its was fine, perfect, for about a day. and the clutch doesn't "slip" ever, its more like its always grabbing, thats why i wanted to know the angle to the clutch linkage arm on the transmission with the clutch pedal on the floor, so i can tell if somethings bent somewhere or the cable is stretched or if its the pressure plate, instead of just throwing parts at it (which i can't really afford to do anyway.) let me know if this explanation is clear.