PDA

View Full Version : New Rims & Tires on the '89!

gyates93
04-29-2012, 04:45 PM
Hey all,

Bought and installed a nice set of 15" alloy rims (believe they came off of a Mazda MX-6) with Goodyear 205/55R15 tires this weekend! They've got a good clean look and they should be easier to provide rubber for compared to the 13s!

One question:

What pressure do you guys normally run in your 15" tires? I've got a little shimmy in the steering wheel since I put on the new tires (can't feel it in the body of the car) and I think that they're either under inflated or out of balance. There's 32 PSI in them right now. Overall, I'm a happy camper with four tires and rims for 150 dollars!

Obligatory picture:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o183/gyates93/DSC05021.jpg

como 2nd gen civic
04-29-2012, 04:56 PM
whoa, thats an awesome score, and a great look! (esp for 150) My money is on a wheel being out of balance.

import racer
04-29-2012, 05:05 PM
Speaking of air pressure I usually run 28-30.What should I run with 205/40/17,I just got them but need to replace one tire.Sorry for jacking you're thread but couldn't start a thread ,wouldn't let me.

conozo
04-29-2012, 05:35 PM
Looks good, pretty good deal for both.

Regarding the shimmy I would check for any damage on the tires such as sidewall damage first since im assuming that you got them used, then if they look fine get them balanced.

gyates93
04-29-2012, 08:15 PM
Looks good, pretty good deal for both.

Regarding the shimmy I would check for any damage on the tires such as sidewall damage first since im assuming that you got them used, then if they look fine get them balanced.

I can balance them myself at the local car club for two dollars per tire, so I'll have to head in and do that.

I'm still wondering around what pressure to use since the tire size isn't stock, does this usually make a difference?

And thanks for the comments! I thought the rims were a nice look for the car as well! I'm not in to anything too flashy on a car, just clean and simple looking. I'm thinking of some moderate tint for the rear windows to top off her look!

kentwat
04-30-2012, 06:40 AM
I run all my tires at 4 psi under max rating on the sidewall.

DBMaster
04-30-2012, 06:46 AM
I find that my tires actually last longer if I stick with Honda's recommendation of 26psi. Remember that the max pressure is based upon the load rating of the tire and what percentage of that you are using. We use nowhere near the max load rating on these cars. It's all a matter of what works for you.

And, yes, you will have a much easier time finding good tire choices for 15" rims than for 14's, like mine.

obdriver6
04-30-2012, 05:26 PM
Nice find! I have 195/50/15 and I run 32psi

elarson88
04-30-2012, 07:28 PM
Those look good and would look even better with a drop!

import racer
05-01-2012, 09:18 AM
So what are you guys with 17 in tires running for air pressure.

King Peetis
05-01-2012, 04:44 PM
Your wheels look great! I love the style. At a later date you could pimp them out in a dark bronze, dark grey or gunmetal. Then add some tight lug nuts. What OEM car did they come off of..?

gyates93
05-02-2012, 06:44 AM
Your wheels look great! I love the style. At a later date you could pimp them out in a dark bronze, dark grey or gunmetal. Then add some tight lug nuts. What OEM car did they come off of..?

The rims came off of a Mazda, I believe it was an MX-6 or a MX-3.

I'm still having an issue with a shimmy in the steering wheel. The computer balancer says the wheels are balanced and the tires appear to be in good condition. What else should I try?

I'm going to try airing the tires up to 38-40 PSI (Max 44 on sidewall) to see if that will make any difference, but I'm reluctant to put that much air in my tires when the doors say 26 or something like that.

After that if nothing changes I'll swap the ones on the rear up to the front and see what happens. Are there any other problems that could be causing this issue? Are 205/55R15 tires just too big for this car? I may have to go narrower?

The rims seem to me that they fit, although it's a bit of a process to get the lug nuts tightened when they're installed and I had to remove the dust covers off of my back wheels. One hub is able to turn inside the brake drum, but this doesn't really explain a shimmy in the wheel?

If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate some help.

import racer
05-02-2012, 08:47 AM
If the shimmy is in the front check the radius rod bushings in the front cross member.And 38-40 is way to much air,since no one answered my question about how much air to run I'm gonna stick with 30 psi.

DBMaster
05-02-2012, 09:26 AM
According to the tire dealers, OEM's, and tire manufacturers run the pressure recommended on the sticker in your door jamb. For me it's 26. For you it very well may be 30. Beyond that you can play around until you get the balance of handling/treadwear/ride comfort you want. I have run everything from 26 to 44. I get the best compromise at 26.

gyates93
05-02-2012, 09:39 AM
The front end shouldn't be causing this trouble, since the problem only started the second the new rims and tires were installed. Looking out the window while the vehicle is moving, you can see a noticable strangeness in the way the tire rotates, as if either the pressure is low or the rim is warped.. I'm going to check and make sure they're tightening down well and maybe spin them on the balancer again to check for warps.

I doubt its very likely that more than one wheel would be warped and all of them still look in excellent condition?

DBMaster
05-02-2012, 11:03 AM
How old are the wheels? I am on my third set of wheels and I have had the car since new. I hate to say it, but wheels DO wear out. Over a lifetime of pounding from bad railroad tracks and potholes they will get out of true. If they are expensive or hard to replace a wheel shop can fix them, otherwise it's a new set of wheels every ten years or so. The tire guys actually call me out to the shop to show me how the wheels don't run straight when they get bad. Get a set of used wheels from someone who hit a curb - even once - and all bets are off. I would say you have a least one bad wheel.

2oodoor
05-02-2012, 11:19 AM
Make sure those wheels are setting on the hub flush, sometimes the centers won't fit quite right even if the lug pattern fits.
A wheel that is a little bit bent can also go on the back and cause no issues if it balanced.

DBMaster
05-02-2012, 12:09 PM
^^Yeah, that too. My aftermarket wheels - both sets - came with hub centric plastic rings. The heat causes them to crack into pieces after a few years. I keep an extra set around.

gyates93
05-02-2012, 12:28 PM
Hub centric rings? What are these and what purpose do they serve?

import racer
05-02-2012, 06:26 PM
I just figured with the less sidewall that 26 would be to little air pressure.

gyates93
05-02-2012, 06:43 PM
Well, after all this talk of hub-(centricity?) I took my car in to the auto club for another look, and finally fixed the problem by pulling the 15s off and replacing them with my 13" winters.

Turns out the centre holes are SLIGHTLY too small to fit over the hubs in the rear, causing play and bad things. It's too bad that they don't fit properly because I like the look of the rims. If they're useful to anybody here near my area just drop me a PM, you can have them for what I paid!

DBMaster
05-02-2012, 08:45 PM
http://www.prestigewheel.com/Catalog/HubRings66_67.pdf

It's not that easy to pick just the right size from taking measurements, either. I have been fortunate enough to get the right size from the tire dealer and just buy replacements when they start cracking.

import racer
05-03-2012, 03:50 PM
Well I ordered a tire today and I asked the Eagle dealer about air pressure,and he said rule of thumb is 32 psi in low profile tires.

Oldblueaccord
05-03-2012, 04:46 PM
Hub centric rings? What are these and what purpose do they serve?

Most aftermarket rims are lug centric meaning the lugs center them. Most factory rims are hub centric so the hub matches the rim
A hub centric spacer is an adapter for matching up rims and the hub.

AFA tire pressure on a speed rated tire i run 35 front 25 rear. I have an lxi with sway bars etc yours may vary.

wp

DBMaster
05-04-2012, 06:00 AM
Opinions on tire pressure are about as varied as the answers to the question, "What kind of oil do you use and why." It's hilarious.

A18A
05-04-2012, 06:20 AM
haha. I run 40 psi in my 205/55/15 wheels. car looks awesome btw. it actually suits the black bumpers