PDA

View Full Version : help on choosing suspension

cruisinSLOWly
05-01-2012, 06:54 PM
hey whats up 3geez .. im VERY confused about suspension everywhere i look its either the same thing .. sorry if this question has been asked many times but im not sure what shocks can fit .. im looking on buying aftermarket suspension ... i already have eibach groundcontrol sleeves on my car and im investing in some different shocks .. trying to get aftermarket like skunk 2 shocks ... they say EGcivics in the front and CBaccord suspension in the back .. but then from what i have read people have used EF/CRX suspension .. so to cut a long story short what other shocks can i switch out for my stock .. i was told EFcivic hatch shocks can go in the rear but can i use the front struts as well so i can just order a set of EF suspension??? (strut wise)

once again im sorry for asking a question that has probably been answered before .. but they talk about stocks shocks tokico kybs and bilsteins :confused:

88lxi-shortram
05-01-2012, 06:59 PM
It really depends how low you are.

cruisinSLOWly
05-03-2012, 06:23 AM
Well im trying to get a nice drop not too low but just no wheel gap with some tucking ... Right now i have the ground controls on my stock struts ... But i think my shocks were from 1988 theyre so blown hahaha but i wanted to get some better struts ... I know i could order some tokico blues for my year but thats it and i wanted to get better struts that can handle a drop ... On my old civic i had a simple setup with skunk2 shocks with Ground control sleeves... Its alright pretty stiff couldnt really complain ... Here i go going off topic again -___-'

But yeeah i was wondering what car eould you suggest to order them for? Eg ef cb??

Vanilla Sky
05-03-2012, 06:37 AM
Yeah, the Blues just aren't enough to handle more than an inch of drop and about a 10% increase in spring rate. The springs they sold to go with the dampers were too stiff and too short, leading to short life, even with a "matched" setup.

If you're looking for direct bolt on, there is a set of Koni Reds in the marketplace. They were display models, so they were never installed. The same gentleman also has a set of used Koni Reds, but I'd personally have them rebuild and converted to Koni Yellows.

His for sale thread is here. http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76195

2oodoor
07-24-2012, 09:19 AM
^^^ so here we have the op question unanswered and further confusion added with conflicting information compared to other threads
...and I don't think he is going to be buying koni's as a solution.

So tokico blues with GC adjustables are garbage now?

Im just trying to find a clear set of choices without spending a grand on springs and shocks alone<>

cruisinSLOWly
07-24-2012, 09:54 AM
i hear you man ... its very hard to find some that fit but on the lighter note ... alittle UPDATE!

im rocking SKUNK2 STRUTS from an EF and also GC sleeves from a CB did the pitchfork mod aswell as the Extended Top Hat Mod at first i lowered it without the pitchfork mod and the tophats and it was SOOPER STIFF .. and HIGH with a 2 FINGER GAP!! :( but after the mods my front is somewhat tucking and it has an overall smoother ride

its only been a week so ill keep you guys updated!

2oodoor
07-24-2012, 10:01 AM
that's probably what I'm going to end up doing,, top hat mod

import racer
07-24-2012, 02:39 PM
What years were ef civics.

Legend_master
07-24-2012, 03:52 PM
What years were ef civics.

1988 to 1991 civics. (http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47746&highlight=civic+struts)

import racer
07-25-2012, 11:01 AM
So we can choose better shocks for the civic and put them on the front is that right.

2oodoor
07-25-2012, 12:44 PM
So we can choose better shocks for the civic and put them on the front is that right.

According to the linked thread Legendmaster provided above your post, this is a possibility under certain circumstances.
If I understand correctly, the benefit of using Civic shocks is there are many more choices and the cost is lower because more are produced as compared to the limited production of 3rd Gen Accord performance shocks.
There are details for mounting them that are out of the ordinary installation procedures for the Accord.