PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Advance Question

ArkyHog88
05-02-2012, 11:35 AM
Are the two diaphrams completely separate? Right now if I pull the hose off of diaphram B (cold start advance line) vacuum is being pulled through the nipple from the hose connected on diaphram A. There is still advance function even though it "seeps" vacuum. Is my advance unit shot?

lostforawhile
05-02-2012, 12:49 PM
Are the two diaphrams completely separate? Right now if I pull the hose off of diaphram B (cold start advance line) vacuum is being pulled through the nipple from the hose connected on diaphram A. There is still advance function even though it "seeps" vacuum. Is my advance unit shot?

Yep

ArkyHog88
05-02-2012, 01:29 PM
Thanks man. Damn, looks like I'll be headed to the yard to find a dizzy.

lostforawhile
05-02-2012, 03:00 PM
Thanks man. Damn, looks like I'll be headed to the yard to find a dizzy.

you should be able to buy just the advance new

DBMaster
05-02-2012, 04:02 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't mess with any junkyard distributors/parts for these cars. The things just wear out.

Dr_Snooz
05-02-2012, 08:51 PM
Hee hee! I'm running a junkyard advance diaphragm right now! Of course, if I could have found a new one, I would have bought it instead.

A20A1
05-02-2012, 09:10 PM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b351/Wendy_girl/distributor/DSCN2642.jpg

ArkyHog88
05-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the pic that's dedication right there ha! As far as the yard goes, I've got a pretty good source for parts here where I'm at. He's only charging me $40 for the entire dizzy. A new vac unit costs about 60 bucks plus I'll have some spare parts. I'll prob go ahead and give the yard unit a shot. Thanks for the help guys!

A20A1
05-03-2012, 09:03 PM
I'll melt my car down to it's base metals if it helps fix someones car. :)

2oodoor
05-08-2012, 08:21 AM
I believe that!
Hey sometimes you luck up on a "new" distributor in the junk yards, among other recently replaced parts before the car found it's way to the yurd.

ArkyHog88
05-29-2012, 10:22 AM
Went to the yard and found a unit but it had a leak also. After looking the past couple of weeks I have found that they have quit making new vac advance units for us Lxi guys.

I really, really don't want to buy a whole new dizzy. Looks like I'll be making a post in the wanted section...

2oodoor
05-29-2012, 10:54 AM
You could try cleaning out the distributor and lube up the centrifugal advance as well as the advance mechanism the vacuum motors pull. This would make it easier moving so the issue of the diaphragm plunger cocking sideways inside, in case it is only intermittently leaking down, would be helped.
That is only if the diaphragm isn't completely busted in which case replace it.

It's a shot in the dark but I have seen it work, being optimistic.

ArkyHog88
05-29-2012, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the tip man but it's a fairly significant leak between the two chambers. :(
I had already cleaned the centrifugal advance because it was completely frozen. It works great now, if I could just get the diaphram situation taken care of.

Dr_Snooz
05-29-2012, 06:43 PM
Have you tried Rock Auto for the diaphragm? It looks like they have heaps of them.

ArkyHog88
06-01-2012, 10:22 AM
Yeah man unfortunately their listing was off. After I tried to order one they realized no one is manufacturing them anymore for EFI setups. They called me and told me none of their suppliers had them anymore. I've noticed since then they took the EFI part numbers off the listing. All of the EFI diaphrams are clocked differently even though some look the same as carb'd versions. You end up with the hoses pointing down towards bellhousing. I did manage to finally find a NOS piece on Ebay though.

My advice is that if you come across one, you better grab it up because they're getting rare.

Dr_Snooz
06-01-2012, 07:37 PM
Good to know. I scavenged my current one from the junkyard. There are those guys selling new TEC distributors on eBay with the diaphragm included. I wonder if they would sell a diaphragm separately.

ecogabriel
06-01-2012, 11:38 PM
My advice is that if you come across one, you better grab it up because they're getting rare.

Mine is also running from a jy unit.... I'd better get a spare then.

ArkyHog88
06-02-2012, 11:33 AM
There are those guys selling new TEC distributors on eBay with the diaphragm included. I wonder if they would sell a diaphragm separately.

I was thinking the same thing. You can get rebuilt TEC units at local parts houses too. Either Cardone has a stash built up or someone is making them over seas possibly. Couldn't see spending around $250 for just a vac unit though, haha!

Dr_Snooz
06-02-2012, 01:48 PM
I couldn't see spending $250 on anything from Cardone. LOL