PDA

View Full Version : Se-i steering wheel

89GhostLxi
05-05-2012, 06:43 AM
I have an 89 lxi with cruise control and I know any other steering wheel form the third generation will match up, but considering a Se-i steering wheel has the Bose volume control will it fit onto my car? I found a good deal on one and will buy it if it matches up.

lostforawhile
05-05-2012, 07:24 AM
I have an 89 lxi with cruise control and I know any other steering wheel form the third generation will match up, but considering a Se-i steering wheel has the Bose volume control will it fit onto my car? I found a good deal on one and will buy it if it matches up.

make sure you have the special slip ring with it, the cruise control cars have the ring that has contacts for the cruise switches but that slip ring has additional ones for the controls, it's nearly impossible to find one if it's not there. You can make those controls work with an aftermarket radio, if you get one of the SWI-X units, this reads the resistance values from the wheel buttons and converts them to infrared signals for your stereo. the stereo must have a remote control to begin with though

89GhostLxi
05-05-2012, 07:47 AM
make sure you have the special slip ring with it, the cruise control cars have the ring that has contacts for the cruise switches but that slip ring has additional ones for the controls, it's nearly impossible to find one if it's not there. You can make those controls work with an aftermarket radio, if you get one of the SWI-X units, this reads the resistance values from the wheel buttons and converts them to infrared signals for your stereo. the stereo must have a remote control to begin with though

I have the contact point with the plug in for the cruise control, if I can't get the steering wheel volume control to work will the steering wheel still fit without any mods to it?

lostforawhile
05-05-2012, 08:30 AM
I have the contact point with the plug in for the cruise control, if I can't get the steering wheel volume control to work will the steering wheel still fit without any mods to it?the wheel should fit, but I don't know if the plug to plug into the factory slip ring will fit, you might lose cruise control function if it doesn't

DBMaster
05-05-2012, 10:00 AM
I'll lay odds that you can simply remove the button assembly for the stereo and not worry about it. i had my wheel off recently and could see that the cruise button assembly can easily be removed.

lostforawhile
05-05-2012, 03:25 PM
I'll lay odds that you can simply remove the button assembly for the stereo and not worry about it. i had my wheel off recently and could see that the cruise button assembly can easily be removed.

right, but I think the plug that goes into the slip ring assembly is different then on the lxi, if it is that same plug goes to the cruise control buttons, I suppose you could solder the plug off of a regular cruise wheel on there

89GhostLxi
05-06-2012, 11:39 AM
Well i just found a picture of the back of an Se-i steering wheel and the plug in is different to the Lx-i.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/89-Honda-Accord-SEI-2dr-Coupe-Steering-Wheel-Assembly-w-Cruise-Control-Switches-/310395327362?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item484500d382&vxp=mtr#ht_500wt_1180

if you look at the second picture you can see the plug in.