PDA

View Full Version : no thermostat at all

GhEtTo 88 HB DX 5spd
10-18-2002, 01:17 PM
who here runs without a thermostat...

does it effect your car in a negative way?

thanks

SiR
10-18-2002, 01:58 PM
Serious?!?! Does your car overcool when your on the highway?

Rooz

anchovies
10-18-2002, 03:31 PM
Yeah engine is optimum at a certain temperature.

BoredRec
10-18-2002, 03:59 PM
No thermostat = no heater, engine takes forever to reach operating temperatures, which causes the computer to stay in open loop longer, affecting gas mileage. That's a few I came up with.

89AccordNate
10-18-2002, 04:26 PM
Hmm boredrec, that sticker in your signature looks familiar :). You know it was in the hands of one of the biggest ass holes on the 3g board at one time right :D :D :D

hahaha!

Nate.

carotman
10-18-2002, 04:43 PM
My thermostat was stuck open 4 years ago (the last time I used that car in the winter).

Sometimes the choke would re-engage because it would overcool on the highway.... not fun when it's minus 10 outside.... I finally put a cardboard in front of the radiator to prevent overcooling (Ghetto repairs)

I got it fixed a week after because it was real annoying.

Lester Lugnut
10-18-2002, 08:09 PM
Engine oil will sludge up when you run without a t-stat.

Mfg put it in the car for a reason.

smufguy
10-18-2002, 09:48 PM
when there is something electcrical in ur car and is part of a major operating system of ur car, and u removing it is in no way gonna benifit you buddy. You aint gaining anything without a thermostat.

rocky2
10-19-2002, 04:59 AM
What will happen is your engine will overheat on a long trip 100+miles. The thermostat blocks coolent flow so radiator will cool it. If coolent is allowed to flow unresticted it will eventully get hot all at once.,like on highway.

AZmike
10-19-2002, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by rocky2
What will happen is your engine will overheat on a long trip 100+miles. The thermostat blocks coolent flow so radiator will cool it. If coolent is allowed to flow unresticted it will eventully get hot all at once.,like on highway.

No, without a thermostat the coolant does flow unrestricted, but the car will not overheat. The coolant will moves faster through the radiator and cool less, but it will also move faster through the engine and heat up less. Leaving the thermostat out when the engine needs cooling is fine. The problem is without a thermostat the engine won't be able to warm up on cold days.

Mike's89AccordLX
10-19-2002, 07:31 AM
Maybe he means temp sensor?

POS carb
10-19-2002, 07:53 AM
nah when you run without a thermostat it just allows the water to flow at the rate the pump pushes it regardless of temp so what will happen is your car will take forever to warm up and you'll get temperature fluctuations (bad for the motor),your car will also run colder on the highway