PDA

View Full Version : Hi and HELP! #5 fuse gets real hot!

Aquarius0128
05-06-2012, 10:42 PM
I've had my 89 Accord LXI for about 6 weeks, ran great for 2 weeks, then starting having a starting problem. Sometimes it would start, others it would crank and crank, but not start till it seemed like it descided to. I deliver pizzas in it, so I was so glad to find the problem to be the coolant temp sensor which only cost $17. It was bad, so the ECI would think the car was cold when it wasn't causing too much fuel .......

My problem now is that the #5 fuse under drivers dash gets super hot and the ac compressor doesn't kick on. When I first discovered the blown fuse, I replaced it and the ac blew cold for about 6 miles, then blowed. Replaced the fuse which started blowing in 2 or 3 minutes. Tried using a circuit breaker fuse, but it keeps kicking on and off. So I put a 30 amp in there, it doesnt blow, but get so hot, that it almost melted. The light for the ac comes on, but no cold air. Funny thing though the vent light rarely works, but does some, sometimes really dim or not at all, but occasionally lights bright as can be. All the other setting's lights work. How do I troubleshoot this problem?

89HatchbackLxi
05-06-2012, 11:20 PM
I've had my 89 Accord LXI for about 6 weeks, ran great for 2 weeks, then starting having a starting problem. Sometimes it would start, others it would crank and crank, but not start till it seemed like it descided to. I deliver pizzas in it, so I was so glad to find the problem to be the coolant temp sensor which only cost $17. It was bad, so the ECI would think the car was cold when it wasn't causing too much fuel .......

My problem now is that the #5 fuse under drivers dash gets super hot and the ac compressor doesn't kick on. When I first discovered the blown fuse, I replaced it and the ac blew cold for about 6 miles, then blowed. Replaced the fuse which started blowing in 2 or 3 minutes. Tried using a circuit breaker fuse, but it keeps kicking on and off. So I put a 30 amp in there, it doesnt blow, but get so hot, that it almost melted. The light for the ac comes on, but no cold air. Funny thing though the vent light rarely works, but does some, sometimes really dim or not at all, but occasionally lights bright as can be. All the other setting's lights work. How do I troubleshoot this problem?

Welcome to the forum!

The vent light (as well as all of the climate control buttons) tend to flicker and not light quite commonly on these cars. You'll need to re-solder the lights with new metal to get them to work and stop flickering, or just ignore them like I do, haha.

And I really wouldn't recommend putting the wrong amp fuse in there, especially if its getting super hot. Sounds like you might have a wiring problem...

Hauntd ca3
05-07-2012, 01:22 AM
i'd say that if fuse 5 is the a/c fuse, that the big electromagnetic clutch on the front of the a/c compressor has a short circuit and is bout stuffed.
get it fixed properly or you risk having a big electrical melt down or at worst an electrical fire.

obdriver6
05-07-2012, 10:40 PM
^ Listen to what he says...... BTW Welcome!

Vanilla Sky
05-07-2012, 10:55 PM
I agree. This sounds like a clutch or a clutch wiring issue. Investigate it before it's a fire.