PDA

View Full Version : Double DIN in the tape holder thing

Brennan
05-07-2012, 05:29 PM
I was looking at the interior today and was thinking this would be really cool. I can post pics if I need to clarify what I'm referencing, but it's the thing that has slots for cassettes where you might throw your phone while it's charging for example. The area right below the ashtray and cigarette lighter. You know that thing?

Just wondering if any company has made a mount for a double-din stereo that would replace that area. Anyone know? Then just use the space from the stock stereo for a phone / whatever holder.

I want it to look nice / professional, anyone done this? :)

catalin
07-08-2012, 09:47 PM
I've never seen a double din kit available for the location that you're asking about. It would have to be a custom install... As far as the stock location goes there is a universal pocket available for that;

http://metraonline.com/part/Mitsubishi_Subaru_Dash_kit_98-8999

charliekuney
07-11-2012, 08:14 PM
Actually, you can get the factory or even a dealer-installed slaved disc player or equalizer and just swap it out with some modification. I know there's a hatch on here with a double-din full-sized touchscreen down there.

Deathconfess
08-15-2012, 04:46 AM
I'm working on a custom housing for my double din. Going to fit in the space under the dash where the factory radio slot it.

Brennan
12-23-2012, 01:57 AM
That sounds awesome. Reason I posted this was actually that I have a second of those cassette holder things and am thinking I could cut out the back to fit a DDIN setup. I'll have to do some measurements - what's the standard for Double-DIN?

AccordB20A
12-23-2012, 03:06 AM
it would work if you used a shallow stereo etc in it. a normal sized one will hit the floor.