PDA

View Full Version : Amp Install, Best Route to run wires.

sharkyx1x
05-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Hello, i am about to install a new amp into the back of my car. Does anyone have some pics that they have taken while doing theirs that has a clean and easy route. Im trying to do it right the first time around and not have anything look ghetto. ty in advance.

RAZR
05-12-2012, 03:37 PM
Hello, i am about to install a new amp into the back of my car. Does anyone have some pics that they have taken while doing theirs that has a clean and easy route. Im trying to do it right the first time around and not have anything look ghetto. ty in advance.

Run the wires along the sides of the car underneath the carpet. But make sure to put the power on one side and the RCA's on the other. Just remove the door sills and run the power wire under the carpet there. What's the amp for? What amp are u running? What sub? Do u have a box?

SharkyX
05-12-2012, 03:58 PM
Run the wires along the sides of the car underneath the carpet. But make sure to put the power on one side and the RCA's on the other. Just remove the door sills and run the power wire under the carpet there. What's the amp for? What amp are u running? What sub? Do u have a box?

2 Polk audio DXI 12's in a box, with a 500w Fosgate amp

RAZR
05-12-2012, 04:49 PM
2 Polk audio DXI 12's in a box, with a 500w Fosgate amp

Why two 12s? I have a single kicker cvr10 and a kicker 600.4 and it will rattle the car like crazy. Now that's not how I drive that just at 10 on the deck. I ran my power wire from the battery to the driver side firewall where there is a unused grommet put the wire through there and then just ran the power under the carpet to the back. I just ran a ground wire to the shock bolt and used that as a ground. Hope that helps.

ghettogeddy
05-12-2012, 05:04 PM
you dont really have to run them down separate sides but it helps if you get any noise. last setup i did in the sedan had 4 speaker cables and 3awg power with the audio cables all on the same side. never had an issue.. and it was running 3 amps on the other end.

RAZR
05-12-2012, 05:10 PM
you dont really have to run them down separate sides but it helps if you get any noise. last setup i did in the sedan had 4 speaker cables and 3awg power with the audio cables all on the same side. never had an issue.. and it was running 3 amps on the other end.

But it is good practice to run them down opposite sides. It really isnt that much more work to run them down opposite sides.

ghettogeddy
05-12-2012, 10:25 PM
But it is good practice to run them down opposite sides. It really isnt that much more work to run them down opposite sides.

at the time i was doin 2 -4 installs a day out of work lol so unless the was an issue it went in one side. lol

i think my current setup is pass side power and rca down the drivers side... less power cable needed that way

obd0driver
05-13-2012, 08:13 AM
Anyone try mounting a amp in the back seat or front front passenger seat?????

RAZR
05-13-2012, 09:12 AM
Anyone try mounting a amp in the back seat or front front passenger seat?????

Yeah I had my amp on my back seat. Use self tapping screws. I no longer have it there cause of my rear strut bar.

A18A
05-13-2012, 03:36 PM
i had mine under the front seat before. now i've got one below the dash on the passenger side under the carpet, and one in that little console thing in the boot

MessyHonda
05-14-2012, 08:16 AM
I ran the power wire on the passenger side of the car and the audio and aux cables on the drives side. Don't mount the amp on the sub box try to mount them on plywood. its also harder to steal if people break in.

dieselgus
05-14-2012, 08:11 PM
Easiest route is down the sills. There is a great unused grommet near where the accelerator cable goes through the firewall (don't be a loser and run it through the door jamb. Guys that install audio for a living like to take pictures of that sort of thing and then laugh our asses off about it. Do it properly through a grometted hole in the firewall. Less fires also happen that way). Lots of room along the passengers side sill (less OEM wiring running there), run your RCAs and everything down there. No need to run them down seperate sides. That worked well in 1989 when headunits had fuck all for output voltage. Nowdays, provided you have a good ground and have a head unit manufactured within the last 10 years you will be just fine. Bonus points if you use a good clean bolted down ground. Minus many points for stuffing it underneath your seat bolt/trunk latch/other miscellaneous piece of metal and hoping that it will work. Remember, when the amp loses ground, it tries to ground to the next best thing, and that would be through your RCA shield up to your deck. This makes both the deck and amp rather unhappy.

Have fun. Good luck.

charliekuney
05-16-2012, 12:58 PM
I ran my wiring through the bay in that empty grommet like dieselgus said, but I ran all of the wiring from the deck to my sub/amp underneath the carpet, under the center console. It was really easy - all I had to take out were the seats (front and back).