PDA

View Full Version : cold mornings making car start like crap

tyne89
10-18-2002, 05:15 PM
the only way it will start is by cranking till it starts, giving it alot of gas once it starts while continuing to crank it. if i stop cranking once it starts alittle it will stall out fast. any tips/ ideas?

Dutchboy
10-18-2002, 05:22 PM
your choke is probably not working...

take a look in the morning when its cold and see if the flap is closed...check the linkages to see if they arent allowing it to move...

im not sure on the chokes too much...

Ben

smufguy
10-18-2002, 06:11 PM
yep, Ben is right. THe choke is not working. U either get another one, or just get a new webber. U gotta manually have the butterfly valve open to make carb NOT gag.

Mike's89AccordLX
10-18-2002, 09:47 PM
Yeah, your choke is probably not working properly. Mine isn't either, and i'm too lazy right now to fix it. I just re-did all of my power windows. Took me awhile. So I'm just a bit tired too fix anything for like a day. Is the choke on my 89 lx , on the drivers side of the carb, or where? I just got more confused when someone posted a pic of where it was. Thanks in advance :bow:

Neuspeed007
10-19-2002, 10:15 PM
tyne; turn on your defroser on in the morning and let the car warm up! for atleast 10 minutes!

My car takes a while to start in the morning too, all i need to do is turn the key and feed it some gas. It starts up, but it has to warm up in order to not stall. unless it wasent that cold of a night.

a good idea is too let it sit and warm up for about 5-10 mintues, and when your ready to go, tune down the defroster if it is on high, and tune it to low when shifting your car out of park. my car has stalled on me when i shift out of park, because in the morning it is so out of use.

hope that helps.

rocky2
10-20-2002, 06:11 AM
I accidently bent my choke linkage on top,then after looking at the photos on this site of carbs> I just bent it back then my choke worked again.