PDA

View Full Version : HIDs

DX88
05-16-2012, 06:41 AM
What is the best HID brand/kit to put in my 86'. Just curious as to know which...if this isn't the right thread let me know...still a little new at this :)

2ndGenGuy
05-16-2012, 08:47 AM
They are pretty much all the same. I know someone's going to come in here and say that they're not, but they are.

http://www.webcitation.org/5mc0CuxTZ

The ones that say "bosch, phillips, siemens" etc... all fakes.

elpuma
05-16-2012, 09:14 AM
They provide life time warranty

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W

DBMaster
05-16-2012, 09:35 AM
Yes, there is a lot of disagreement here about HID's. Since there are no retrofit reflector assemblies for these cars specifically designed for GOOD HID capsules your results will be iffy. Cars with HID lights from the factory have reflector and lens assemblies designed specifically for HID.

With that said people are still going to do what makes them happy. Blue light that blinds oncoming traffic seems to be in vogue these days. The DOT has received more complaints from the public about HID lights than from any other automotive feature.

DX88
05-16-2012, 12:38 PM
I myself prefer having HID's because I have a lot of trouble seeing when I drive at night. When I drove my blazer, it was very difficult and I can only imagine how bad it's going to be in a much lower car. When I did drive a car with them in it I can see 10x's better.

charliekuney
05-16-2012, 12:47 PM
Since there are no retrofit reflector assemblies for these cars specifically designed for GOOD HID capsules your results will be iffy.

What about Hella and Autopal? From what I've read on here, people seem pretty satisfied from those.

The DOT has received more complaints from the public about HID lights than from any other automotive feature.

Source? My question is, how does the general public know the difference between HID's, LED's, adjustable head lights, or just idiots with their high beams on?

When I drove my blazer, it was very difficult and I can only imagine how bad it's going to be in a much lower car.

This is why head lights are aimed differently on different cars.

DBMaster
05-16-2012, 01:42 PM
I doubt the general public knows squat, but they can certainly tell blue lights from yellow ones. Whether or not they can tell "real" HID from blue tinted bulbs is another story. DO NOT take my comment as an endorsement of the intelligence level of the general public. I can tell the difference between the real and fake easily. Even some of the OEM units on expensive cars are pretty darned bad on my eyes. It doesn't take too much effort to avert my eyes from the beam, though.

A quality reflector assembly is bound to be better than a cheap one because st least they spent some money developing a light pattern, but there is a big difference between what an H4 bulb puts out and an HID capsule. I am not talking about Lumens, though, but dispersion.

I am going to bail on this thread because there is no point in disputing since I do not have HID's. I have H4 conversion housings (Maxtel with glass lenses). They are OK, but they don't have a good enough light pattern for an HID. I don't drive anywhere that additional light would be needed so I have not seriously entertained the conversion to HID.