PDA

View Full Version : Newb with an 89 Accord LX

cbolyard
05-16-2012, 11:11 AM
Greetings all, first time Honda owner here. I recently purchased an 89 Accord LX automatic as a commuter because the cost of driving my other vehicle was killing me. I did a little searching around before I registered but I wasn't finding answers to the questions I have so I figured I'd post up and see if anyone has suggestions.

Problem 1- the car has an oil leak. I'm not sure where it's coming from exactly, the kid I bought it from said it was the distributor but there is enough crud on the engine it's hard to say for sure. I need to pressure wash it to try and locate the leak, but I was curious if this is a common place for oil to leak? It isn't coming from the valve cover, and doesn't appear to be coming from the head gasket. Beyond that, I can't tell. I took it to an oil change place so we could get under the car and try to find it, and all we could see was oil dripping slowly down a tube that connects to the upper part of the oil pan... couldn't see the other end of it. It drips on the exhaust and you can smell it even while driving.

Problem 2- occasionally the carb acts funny and wants to idle high. I've checked things over lightly and don't see anything that stands out as an issue. It runs fine and doesn't have any problems when driving. Yesterday was the worst it's been, it was going about 30mph without me touching the throttle at all. When I parked the car the idle speed was about 2500rpm. Shut it off and it was normal again when I left work...

Problem 3- minor but very annoying. The trunk won't latch. I removed the latch assembly and it's all working fine. I tried adjusting it but couldn't get it to latch. I ended up folding down the back seat, crawling into the trunk and forcing the latch closed with some pliers.

Problem 4- also very minor but annoying. The key lock by the driver's seat for the trunk won't unlock. I only got one key with the car which works fine in the ignition, doors, and trunk but won't unlock that one lock. So far I have not been able to figure out how to remove it either to try and see what the issue is.

And the age old question... I've only done one fill up so far and got 27mpg. Is that about average?

I believe that's all for now. Not sure if this forum is one of the "you must post pics" types but she's really not much to look at anyway :lol:

charliekuney
05-16-2012, 01:20 PM
The car has an oil leak.

Exactamundo. Inner distributor seal leaks onto the exhaust manifold. Fairly common with these cars.

Occasionally, the carb acts funny and wants to idle high.

My neighbor's LX had this exact problem. I will text her and ask what she fixed, but I believe it was the fuel floater thing.

The trunk won't latch.

These cars have very, very picky trunk latches. You can slightly unbolt the hook (on the car itself, not the latch on the trunk lid) and move it around until you find the place it's supposed to be in. Minor movements make a difference.

The key lock by the driver's seat for the trunk won't unlock.

Graphite. Next.

I've only done one fill up so far and got 27mpg. Is that about average?

Yeah, that seems about right. The only road trip I've taken in one of these was 600 miles and I got approximately 30mpg at 60mph, but that was on a 280k car.

cbolyard
05-16-2012, 04:34 PM
Exactamundo. Inner distributor seal leaks onto the exhaust manifold. Fairly common with these cars.

I'll dig around and see how hard of a fix it is, thanks.

My neighbor's LX had this exact problem. I will text her and ask what she fixed, but I believe it was the fuel floater thing.

Great, thanks!

These cars have very, very picky trunk latches. You can slightly unbolt the hook (on the car itself, not the latch on the trunk lid) and move it around until you find the place it's supposed to be in. Minor movements make a difference.

I moved it around some, mostly up. I didn't try moving it down because it seemed like it would make the problem worse. Guess I'll try again!

Graphite. Next.

Worth a shot I suppose, but I've wiggled they key in there a bunch and it won't budge at all.

Yeah, that seems about right. The only road trip I've taken in one of these was 600 miles and I got approximately 30mpg at 60mph, but that was on a 280k car.

Good to know. I was hoping for 30 so at least it's in the ball park.
And thanks for your quick response!

HelenKellerrr
05-17-2012, 03:43 AM
I get about 27 MPG "city " driving. I'm being real light on the gas this tank to see if it increases at all. I also have a few things to fix. But mine is fi and only has 102k

LJ1987LX-I
05-18-2012, 06:48 PM
Another place I've noticed is Hondas like to leak from the valve cover, as well. Mine did, but all I did was tighten the cover screws, and the leak stopped. My trunk thing, both in the rear window, and in the floor by the driver's seat don't work either. And I'm getting about 20 mpg's in the city, but I've got some larger injectors in the car.

charliekuney
05-19-2012, 01:16 PM
I had a feeling you might be stuck with a valet key, but valets don't open the trunk, the trunk lock by your feet, or the lock above the rear seat in coupes and sedans.

LJ1987LX-I
05-19-2012, 04:39 PM
I was given two keys, one opens the trunk from the outside, while the other doesn't. But neither key will work in the trunk lock by my feet, nor the lock above the rear seat.

cbolyard
05-22-2012, 06:21 AM
Ok, read over several threads on distributor oil leaks and looking for clarification- is there one O-ring or two to replace?

Jeffrey803
07-12-2012, 09:02 AM
I was given one key when i bought my 89 LX. same key opens doors,trunk,glove box,back window for trunk,shifter,and ignition,also trunk lock on driver's side floor,by turning key to driver's side.

started reading owner's manual,and it states Master Key and Basic Key,Master opens all locks,Basic only opens doors and ignition,for if you want to leave it with a valet parking attendant,he would not be permitted to get into the glove box or trunk.

hope this helps.

HelenKellerrr
07-12-2012, 09:48 AM
I just read that the new average MPG is 23. It used to be. 26. The government reassested all the MPG for cars made before 08

derolph
07-12-2012, 09:53 AM
I just read that the new average MPG is 23. It used to be. 26. The government reassested all the MPG for cars made before 08Where did you get that info? It does not agree with http://www.bts.gov/publications/national_transportation_statistics/html/table_04_23.html

Jeffrey803
07-12-2012, 12:19 PM
I just read that the new average MPG is 23. It used to be. 26. The government reassested all the MPG for cars made before 08

I have a 95 chevy beretta Z26 with a 3100 V6.I have the original window sticker that came with the car new and it says 21city 29highway,when new.I just replaced the engine last august from a 96 corsica with the same engine.

went on a 700 mile road trip from Tn.to Pa.calculated my mileage,was getting 35.7mpg. highway. i know my 89 honda accord Lx is right up there with a V6,my honda has the 2.0 carb.

I was paying between 3.09gal. up to 3.19gal.