PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket muffler for carbed 1989 lx

1989 Accord lx
05-16-2012, 04:10 PM
Hey guys newbie here! I have a bone stock (exept audio) 1989 accord lx carberated sedan. I wanted to replace the muffler with an aftermarket one to give it a better sound. I am considering a cherry bomb glasspack. But I dont want to sound like a ricer. Anyone have some input?

ShyBoyCA6
05-16-2012, 04:26 PM
Hey guys newbie here! I have a bone stock (exept audio) 1989 accord lx carberated sedan. I wanted to replace the muffler with an aftermarket one to give it a better sound. I am considering a cherry bomb glasspack. But I dont want to sound like a ricer. Anyone have some input?.

Yeah I got some imput....Search.

cygnus x-1
05-16-2012, 04:52 PM
Hey guys newbie here! I have a bone stock (exept audio) 1989 accord lx carberated sedan. I wanted to replace the muffler with an aftermarket one to give it a better sound. I am considering a cherry bomb glasspack. But I dont want to sound like a ricer. Anyone have some input?

Glass packs in general don't reduce noise much, so replacing the muffler with a glass pack will probably result in it being pretty loud. I don't have any specific recommendations, but a typical performance type muffler would probably work well if you still have a cat.

C|

1989 Accord lx
05-16-2012, 05:10 PM
Guess what... I searched BEFORE i posted

1989 Accord lx
05-16-2012, 06:43 PM
Glass packs in general don't reduce noise much, so replacing the muffler with a glass pack will probably result in it being pretty loud. I don't have any specific recommendations, but a typical performance type muffler would probably work well if you still have a cat.

C|

I have decided to go with a cherry bomb turbo. How hard would it be to install myself, dont want to spend the money if i can do it.

charliekuney
05-17-2012, 10:04 PM
Yeah I got some imput....Search.

If you searched the word "search" nothing but ShyBoyCA6 posts would show up.

The_Biker11
05-18-2012, 07:46 AM
I have spent a lot of time trying different exhaust setups on Hondas to try and get that perfect sound. On my Accord I have stock manifold, straight into a round truck turbo muffler, then into a glass pack, then 2.25" pipe all the way to the back. It has a very deep tone, and isn't annoying at all! I can post pics of it if you wanna see it. But as far as ordering a kit for your car. I actually can't find a company that makes one. Does anybody know of one?

2oodoor
05-18-2012, 08:40 AM
I have decided to go with a cherry bomb turbo. How hard would it be to install myself, dont want to spend the money if i can do it.

Exhaust work is so aggravating without the right stuff to do it with, including a lift.
As for the CB turbo, if you get the correct I.D. and O.D. size as your oem even if you have to use adapters, it should be a bolt on affair.
Make sure you use good hangars, also get the outlet extension just out past the bumper cover or it will be too loud inside the car no matter what muffler you wind up with.

cygnus x-1
05-18-2012, 08:44 AM

Depends on what tools you have available. You'll need a way to cut the old muffler off and attach the new one. Many times they use hangers welded to the muffler to hang it, so you may need a welder. You might be able to use pipe clamps to attach the tubing but it's better to weld the tubes together.

I have spent a lot of time trying different exhaust setups on Hondas to try and get that perfect sound. On my Accord I have stock manifold, straight into a round truck turbo muffler, then into a glass pack, then 2.25" pipe all the way to the back. It has a very deep tone, and isn't annoying at all! I can post pics of it if you wanna see it.

I'm big a fan of the glass pack + turbo muffler combo, although in my case it's the glass pack first and then the muffler (probably doesn't matter). It has a great sound without being too loud or raspy. If you still have a cat just leave out the glass pack.

But as far as ordering a kit for your car. I actually can't find a company that makes one. Does anybody know of one?

Pacesetter? Pretty sure they still make a cat back system for the 3g. Jegs has it listed.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Pace+Setter/766/88-1416/10002/-1

C|

cygnus x-1
05-18-2012, 08:47 AM
Exhaust work is so aggravating without the right stuff to do it with, including a lift.
As for the CB turbo, if you get the correct I.D. and O.D. size as your oem even if you have to use adapters, it should be a bolt on affair.
Make sure you use good hangars, also get the outlet extension just out past the bumper cover or it will be too loud inside the car no matter what muffler you wind up with.

+1 on everything above. I did my own exhaust without a lift. Even though I have a welder, grinders, etc. it was still a huge pain and took forever. I'm not sure I would do it again.

C|

A20A1
05-18-2012, 09:11 AM
I also suggest 2.25
and stay away from glass packing, if you can get stainless instead.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b351/Wendy_girl/th_DSC00007_muff2.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b351/Wendy_girl/?action=view&current=DSC00007_muff2.jpg)http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b351/Wendy_girl/th_coated_header_1-1.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b351/Wendy_girl/?action=view&current=coated_header_1-1.jpg)
I put a 2" Volkswagen muffler on my header to quiet it down, it was the only muffler I had that would tuck under the car. I thought it sounded pretty mean.

Without a lift you should keep the full stock exhaust as a template. I would have had an easier time customizing the fit of the header and the exhaust afterwards if I had something to match it to.

I also had a generic stainless muffler, a solid stainless tip. Inside it was all stainless packing covered by a rippled perforated stainless sheet. I can't say what effect the rippling had other then possibly to act as pseudo baffles, but it sounded nice. It was el-chepo, die bent 2.5 to the cat, and then I later went cat-less for a while.
[/URL]
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b351/Wendy_girl/a20a1250flexpipeback.jpg

lostforawhile
05-18-2012, 10:44 AM
If you want a glass pack go with the porter stainless one, regular ones burn right ouut

The_Biker11
05-18-2012, 11:03 AM
If you want a glass pack go with the porter stainless one, regular ones burn right ouut

Oh yeah, thats a good point! Especially getting that exhaust directly out of the header.

1989 Accord lx
05-18-2012, 01:55 PM
I also suggest 2.25
and stay away from glass packing, if you can get stainless instead.

I put a 2" Volkswagen muffler on my header to quiet it down, it was the only muffler I had that would tuck under the car. I thought it sounded pretty mean.
Without a lift you should keep the full stock exhaust as a template. I would have had an easier time customizing the fit of the header and the exhaust afterwards if I had something to match it to.
I also had a generic stainless muffler, a solid stainless tip. Inside it was all stainless packing covered by a rippled perforated stainless sheet. I can't say what effect the rippling had other then possibly to act as pseudo baffles, but it sounded nice. It was el-chepo, die bent 2.5 to the cat, and then I later went cat-less for a while.

Looks good, my car's exhaust is all stock and still has a cat. Its just too quiet for me, lookin forward to swapping the stock muffler for a cherry turbo. From what I read it should sound good

lostforawhile
05-18-2012, 01:58 PM
Here's my project http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74744

I'm looking for the video with the mainly stock engine and the cherry bomb

1989 Accord lx
05-18-2012, 02:03 PM
Depends on what tools you have available. You'll need a way to cut the old muffler off and attach the new one. Many times they use hangers welded to the muffler to hang it, so you may need a welder. You might be able to use pipe clamps to attach the tubing but it's better to weld the tubes together.|

I know i can get access to some tools to cut the muffler off. What I dont know is if i will be able to use a welder. I know where i might be able to get access to one, but I dont know if its worth the hassle. I will probally go the easy route and just use clamps.

lostforawhile
05-18-2012, 02:06 PM
here's the video, the cherry bomb isn't bad, the issue is the packing burns out quick, if you use a stainless one with stainless packing it would be fine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgyhiisKun4

import racer
05-18-2012, 03:59 PM
I had a cherry bomb turbo on my last accord and It sounded good not too loud.I don't think you can get one the size of stock pipe but if you weld an adapter on it should be fine.

lostforawhile
05-18-2012, 05:27 PM
I had a cherry bomb turbo on my last accord and It sounded good not too loud.I don't think you can get one the size of stock pipe but if you weld an adapter on it should be fine.

you can get a reducer and just use some muffler clamps, they should have all those fittings at most of the auto parts stores, the cherry bombs don't last very long though, I think part of the issue is the converter, I've heard the exhaust temps are hotter past the converter.

1989 Accord lx
05-19-2012, 06:00 AM
Another thing that I was wondering about is what size cherry turbo should i get? should i get the size that is close to that of the stock muffler?

cygnus x-1
05-19-2012, 07:05 AM
Another thing that I was wondering about is what size cherry turbo should i get? should i get the size that is close to that of the stock muffler?

In general the larger the muffler, the more sound deadening you get (all else being equal). For convenience I would say start with the stock size.

C|