PDA

View Full Version : Car feels like sh#$t on normal idle

pablo3264
05-20-2012, 07:38 PM
On my 86 Prelude Si it feels like total sh*t while idling at 750 which is suppose to be the normal idle on the car, but say if i start it in the morning it idles at 2k for like 2 seconds and then drops to 1500 and sounds and feels fine on idle and driving

But ive been noticing when it finally idles at 750 it feels all sluggish and even when i shift it feels a lil rough. It never really idles at 750 but only after i drive for a long time usually stays around 1k idle.

Ive had a clutch/flywheel replaced like 3 months ago, altenator was replaced 2 months ago, on a 2week old oil change right now, just changed my injectors which were used but tested and worked perfectly(problem was before injectors also) and changed my fuel filter. Timing belt was replaced also forgot when exactly. Also forgot to mention spark plugs and wires were replaced 2 weeks ago along with the oil and filter and also the valve cover gasket if that matters.

What causes this, it feels really good and smooth when its idling a bit high but total shit on normal idle

Dr_Snooz
05-20-2012, 11:06 PM
That's been my experience and the experience of a lot of other members as well. An idle speed of 750 just seems to be too low for these engines. I bumped the base idle speed up to 1k and forgot about it.

2oodoor
05-21-2012, 02:11 AM
I hate to ask what shit feels like but ok feel free to go in to some detail lol
If it's like the motor shaking around then the trans mount and motor mounts could be the reason.
Engine light ever come on?
Air filter? Clean the throttle body is part of a tune up too. I bet that would improve despite any other issues going on.

pablo3264
05-22-2012, 07:09 AM
Haha hard to explain I guess. It feels sluggish at 750 idle mostly idle will stay around 1k which feels great. I did clean my TB didn't really need it but made no difference don't get me wrong my girl runs great I just can't figure out why it feels like crap at that low idle. also when I turn off the car when it idles low the motor powers down and sounds low idk can't explain it maybe other ppl know what I'm getting at haha. maybe ill post a vid or some shit :)

and no engine light ever has come on. use to before I switched out the injectors I used to get the "pgm fi " light but haven't since the new injectors. weird thing about that light was it only came on in 2 places lol I kid u not... one at Jack in the box drive thru near my house another always at my girls house, other than those 2 locations never lol

2oodoor
05-22-2012, 11:17 AM
ahh, I think I know exactly what you're talking about now. :tongue:

My Lxi does the same thing. In the mornings it does good but I can tell just a little but it warms up good it gets worse. Kind of a chug chug chug like a misfire, at idle and up to like you said just over 1500 it smooths out.

The next thing I was going to do was remove the egr valve and clean it, make sure it isn't sticking open and that the gasket hasn't blown through underneath between the two passages. Hidden vacuum leak.

pablo3264
05-24-2012, 12:35 AM
ahh, I think I know exactly what you're talking about now. :tongue:

My Lxi does the same thing. In the mornings it does good but I can tell just a little but it warms up good it gets worse. Kind of a chug chug chug like a misfire, at idle and up to like you said just over 1500 it smooths out.

The next thing I was going to do was remove the egr valve and clean it, make sure it isn't sticking open and that the gasket hasn't blown through underneath between the two passages. Hidden vacuum leak.

Thats what I was also thinking guess Ill give it a shot thanks!

ArkyHog88
06-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Man mine does the same thing. I've done just about everything -> cleaned the tb, egr valve, plugs, wires, cleaned the injectors, bled the coolant system, motor mounts, cap, rotor, fuel filter, checked fuel pressure regulator, cleaned idle air valve, etc. I think at this point I'm just going to live with it until I do a 5-speed swap. It's way worse when it's really warm and my A/C is on. I usually put the car in neutral at lights so it idles at 1,000 and is smooth haha.

The frustraiting thing is like you said, my car feels awesome first thing in the morning. Smooth, strong, quiet. As soon as fast idle is off and the engine gets some heat built up in it, my steering wheel and dash starts to shake like a mf.

Dr_Snooz
06-02-2012, 01:46 PM
I used to get the "pgm fi " light but haven't since the new injectors. weird thing about that light was it only came on in 2 places lol I kid u not... one at Jack in the box drive thru near my house another always at my girls house, other than those 2 locations never lol

What was the code?