PDA

View Full Version : squeaking???

HelenKellerrr
05-24-2012, 05:08 PM
Everytime i let off my brakes, i get a squeaking noise. It usually occurs after a little bit of driving. It sounds like its coming from the rear brakes, but im not 100% sure. Any ideas what it could be?

Legend_master
05-24-2012, 08:08 PM
Everytime i let off my brakes, i get a squeaking noise. It usually occurs after a little bit of driving. It sounds like its coming from the rear brakes, but im not 100% sure. Any ideas what it could be?

Probably low brake pads, or shoes. They have an indicator to let you know they are low.

HelenKellerrr
05-25-2012, 05:53 AM
I know they should squeak when they are low the when on brakes are on. Is it suppose to even when i let off the brakes?

2oodoor
05-25-2012, 06:49 AM
Yes that is not out of the ordinary, the brake hardware that holds the shoes in place can get worn as well as the shoes.
The self adjuster may not be working and you have a lot of movement there with the shoes having to move out further to contact the drum each time you brake.
The backing plate may be dry and rusty, where the shoes rest against. Those can even wear out too! I've seen a groove cut in the backing plate so far the shoes would hang up, shift sideways, squeak, etc..
A few things can cause this so they may need to be looked at soon, to prevent escalating issues, depending how good the car is stopping now anyway.:)

HelenKellerrr
05-25-2012, 12:04 PM
I hate drum brakes. I know nothing about them. I should just do a rear disk swap.

DBMaster
05-25-2012, 03:39 PM
There are three raised spots on the backing plates for each brake shoe. They are supposed to get a little smear of grease every now and then (wheel bearing or chassis grease is good). Mine did the same thing at one point. You pull the drum remove the brake shoe spring clip and pin (the part that looks like a nail). Do one shoe at a time. Pull the shoe slightly toward you and apply a little grease to each spot (top-middle-bottom). Voila! No more squeaking when you release the brake pedal.

HelenKellerrr
05-30-2012, 05:38 AM
Thanks. Ill have to do this in the next couple of days.