PDA

View Full Version : Cruise control issues.

Legend_master
05-24-2012, 07:46 PM
Trying to get the cruise control working in my hatch. Been going over the shop manual to see if I can figure it out. Here is what I have so far.

I determined the CC unit to be bad, and got a working one from the junk yard. I am going to post up my checklist. In the picture all the marks on the right means it passed, all the ones on the left failed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/Legend_Master/screenshot-1337910426016.png

The only thing I don't get is that none of the wire match up to the location on the plug. The colors match up to the test tho, if anybody has any input on that it would be appreciated. From what I can tell, I am having a problem with the brake switch, cruise light bulb, and the VSS.

Dr_Snooz
05-24-2012, 08:05 PM
Do the wires match up if you look from the back of the plug?

It looks like you have a few things to look over. What are your symptoms at this point? What happens when you try to use the CC?

Legend_master
05-24-2012, 08:13 PM
Do the wires match up if you look from the back of the plug?

It looks like you have a few things to look over. What are your symptoms at this point? What happens when you try to use the CC?

Wow, that's exactly it. I'm an idiot lol. So far the valves on the CC unit work, the diaphram works as well. When driving the CC will not engage at all, the light on the switch works. There is a grinding noise Comping from the cluster as I speed up, I'm thinking that's the VSS gear not engaging. The brake lights work, but the brake switch could still be bad.

Dr_Snooz
05-24-2012, 08:35 PM
Yeah, Honda likes to turn around the harness plug sometimes. I'm honestly not sure why. The VSS is not the same thing as the pulser. The VSS is a hydraulic assembly that sits in the top of the trans and controls steering assist at speed. The pulser is a little magnetic gizmo in the speedo that tells the CC module how fast the car is going. I've never seen one go out, but it's certainly possible, especially if it's deformed somehow and being hit by the needle assembly.

lostforawhile
05-24-2012, 08:38 PM
Yeah, Honda likes to turn around the harness plug sometimes. I'm honestly not sure why. The VSS is not the same thing as the pulser. The VSS is a hydraulic assembly that sits in the top of the trans and controls steering assist at speed. The pulser is a little magnetic gizmo in the speedo that tells the CC module how fast the car is going. I've never seen one go out, but it's certainly possible, especially if it's deformed somehow and being hit by the needle assembly.

it also has a diode soldered on the edge of the circuit board for the cluster, I would check the diode, it's an easy one to replace

lostforawhile
05-24-2012, 08:39 PM
there is both a clutch switch and a 2 part brake light switch, it has two separate circuits, one to disengage the cruise, and one to operate the brake lamps

Legend_master
05-24-2012, 08:45 PM

I just call the whole system VSS, but yes the pulsar is what I am speaking of lol. I'm going to pull the cluster and check out the CC bulb, and pulsar tomorrow. I'm worried that some of the CC wires run through the main harness, since I have a completely modified one and that could be the problem.

A18A
05-24-2012, 09:04 PM
The brake lights work, but the brake switch could still be bad.

How sensitive is it adjusted? I remember I had a issue cause of the switch since there's 2 of them in 1 unit. the brake lights would work like they should, but the switch wasn't adjusted enough for the cruise control circuit to complete itself with the pedal not being touched

Legend_master
05-24-2012, 09:20 PM
it also has a diode soldered on the edge of the circuit board for the cluster, I would check the diode, it's an easy one to replace

Ill check that out.

there is both a clutch switch and a 2 part brake light switch, it has two separate circuits, one to disengage the cruise, and one to operate the brake lamps

I was wondering about that with the brake switch. So its a possibility that part of the switch is bad?

How sensitive is it adjusted? I remember I had a issue cause of the switch since there's 2 of them in 1 unit. the brake lights would work like they should, but the switch wasn't adjusted enough for the cruise control circuit to complete itself with the pedal not being touched

I'm a little confused. It presses the button all the way in when I'm not on the pedal, and completely lets it out when I press the pedal.

lostforawhile
05-24-2012, 10:14 PM
Ill check that out.

I was wondering about that with the brake switch. So its a possibility that part of the switch is bad?

I'm a little confused. It presses the button all the way in when I'm not on the pedal, and completely lets it out when I press the pedal.

it could be i had posted an entire thread with clear scans on fixing the cruise system, let me know if you need the switch, I finally decided to just not install the cruise after all. I have the switch yet and if it came down to it a control box

lostforawhile
05-24-2012, 10:18 PM
here it is the scans are on the first page

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66399

lostforawhile
05-24-2012, 10:21 PM
did you ever check to see if the little plastic button is still in the clutch pedal arm? they vaporize over time or something, but if it's not there the cruise unit thinks the clutch is always pushed

Legend_master
05-24-2012, 10:27 PM
did you ever check to see if the little plastic button is still in the clutch pedal arm? they vaporize over time or something, but if it's not there the cruise unit thinks the clutch is always pushed

Yep that was the first thing I checked lol. Had the same problem with my old hatch, and my old Legend as well. I always replace them with a bold covered with a rubber cap.