PDA

View Full Version : Got my ribs marinating and watching The Indy 500

Bluntman
05-27-2012, 08:12 AM
http://i49.servimg.com/u/f49/12/59/29/63/100_0226.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=800&u=12592963)

2oodoor
05-27-2012, 08:57 AM
Nummy :rockon:
in headed to costco in a few to get up some.
Ive already discovered something else ther its tony romas pre cooked boneless ribs i got some friday and added to Pot of porken beans zomg nummynss

Bluntman
05-27-2012, 09:30 AM
Nummy :rockon:
in headed to costco in a few to get up some.
Ive already discovered something else ther its tony romas pre cooked boneless ribs i got some friday and added to Pot of porken beans zomg nummynss

I have bought those Tona Romas ribs, they are good.

Bluntman
05-27-2012, 09:32 AM
This just may be my next grill. Awesome !!!!!
http://www.hotrodgrills.com/

DBMaster
05-27-2012, 10:04 AM
$695 - ouch!!

Bluntman
05-27-2012, 10:32 AM
$695 - ouch!!

Yes it is expensive though. Yikes:cheers:

Bluntman
05-27-2012, 10:36 AM
I like the start engine button in the link:cheers:

DBMaster
05-27-2012, 04:24 PM
It may not be a huge amount for a "professional" grill, whatever that is. I don't grill too often. I have a 15 year old Char Broil gas Patio Caddie. I just replaced some rusted out hardware and it's good as new. Materials make all the difference. The V8 engine grill has an aluminum shell so that is worth something.

Bluntman
05-27-2012, 06:18 PM
It may not be a huge amount for a "professional" grill, whatever that is. I don't grill too often. I have a 15 year old Char Broil gas Patio Caddie. I just replaced some rusted out hardware and it's good as new. Materials make all the difference. The V8 engine grill has an aluminum shell so that is worth something.

Yes I have one of those $89.99 already put together Brinkmans from Home Depot. You are right on about quality. These cheaper grills tend to rust out burners and the metal plates that go over the burners to deflect the direct flame. The quality ones don't really do that to quickly, but for the price of my Brinkman it works great. My old cheapie the burners and hardware that were rotted would have cost me $60.00 in parts, so I got a new grill for $89.99 and was done with it.:cheers:

DBMaster
05-28-2012, 06:56 AM
Char Broil just recently released a replacement for the Patio Caddie (they came in gas and electric) call the Patio Bistro. Mine cost about $130 back in 1997. It is small and round - not suitable for big backyard parties unless you like being outside cooking a lot. The only parts that seem to wear out are the single cast iron disc and the mounting hardware for that disc. The grill has a single center burner that heats the bottom of the disc. It then reflects heat to a ring of ceramic briquettes around the bottom of the grill. It heats up very quickly. I can hit 500 degrees within five minutes. I can sear a thick ribeye to my liking in just two minutes per side (well done is five minutes per side). The outer case is black porcelain coated steel. and the grill surface is porcelain coated cast iron. Way better than the chrome plated grills and painted metal boxes that most low end grills use. The only parts that are a bit rusted are the bottoms of the legs since they are made of painted steel. I have definitely gotten my money out of this thing. I ordered a "hardware kit" from grillparts.com earlier this year and was basically able to replace all the worn and rusted hardware for under $30.

I should mention that I keep mine covered when not in use. I am sure that's why it still looks good and the thermometer is still original. I have gone through a lot of covers over the years. The UV rays just eat right through them.

Here you go. Mine is black rather than green.

http://bbq.about.com/od/gasgrillreviews/gr/aapr061704b.htm

2oodoor
05-28-2012, 07:17 AM
3times this morning my typing disappeared while making a post @?

Have a great memorial day

Bluntman
05-28-2012, 08:59 AM
DBMaster I do like that grill. Seems good quality and low priced replacement parts for the price.

DBMaster
05-28-2012, 11:25 AM
Let's just say that if I did more than grill an occasional steak or piece of salmon I would need something a bit bigger and more substantial, but this one has suited my needs. Funny, I almost gave it away a few months ago. I actually prefer my steaks pan fried in the cast iron skillet with butter. My French relatives do it that way and if you have never tried it, you need to do so.

Bluntman
05-28-2012, 11:46 AM
Let's just say that if I did more than grill an occasional steak or piece of salmon I would need something a bit bigger and more substantial, but this one has suited my needs. Funny, I almost gave it away a few months ago. I actually prefer my steaks pan fried in the cast iron skillet with butter. My French relatives do it that way and if you have never tried it, you need to do so.

I have done that. And cast iron is the only way to go when you fry anything. My grandmother was old school from North Carolina and Sunday was church and then fried chicken dinner. And always said you gotta fry chicken in a cast iron skillet. I still have that skillet that she use to use and to this day if I pan fry that is my go to skillet. Bottom line is cast iron is the way to go. I really enjoy cooking.

DBMaster
05-28-2012, 01:02 PM
Cast iron, I guess, is go-to because they just don't put enough metal into affordable aluminum cookware. The chief advantage of the cast iron skillet is that it is so heavy and thick that it tends to maintain a consistent temperature over a broader range of conditions than a current thin aluminum pan. I have made fried chicken a number of times in my cast iron skillet. It is 23 years old and predates the pre-seasoned cast iron cookware trend. Using my infrared trigger thermometer I have verified that it maintains constant temperature pretty well. A gas range helps as it is easier to visually "see" the amount of heat you are applying. I got my fried chicken recipe from a Food Network special and it is damn good. As your grandmother would attest, the most important ingredient is LOVE. If you care enough about your cooking to put in the effort you will be rewarded.

BTW, I only clean my cast iron skillet with paper towels or the occasional "plastic steel wool." No soap or detergent EVER. If you clean non-stick cookware with a paper towel it will stay "non-stick" and last a lot longer. I got that tip from a neighbor who was a chef.

Dang! Now I'm in the mood to make some fried chicken.

Bluntman
05-28-2012, 01:24 PM
BTW, I only clean my cast iron skillet with paper towels or the occasional "plastic steel wool." No soap or detergent EVER. If you clean non-stick cookware with a paper towel it will stay "non-stick" and last a lot longer. I got that tip from a neighbor who was a chef.
Exactly!:cheers: I been around the block a few times myself. LOL. But I really enjoy cooking. No healthy stuff. Meat, Gravy, fried chicken etc. Oh and I cook with tons of butter. Paula Deen doesn't use enough for me. LOL. And I will drink gravy Hahaha. When I fry pork chops in that iron skillet the grease make that nice greasy "Pan Drippings", I spoon that over my chops.... so good.

2oodoor
05-28-2012, 02:38 PM
Bluntman what the heeeeck are you doing in OC Cali !!
Just kidding

Mike you hit the nail on the head, it takes love.... Oh and marinate in buttermilk :lol:

Bluntman
05-28-2012, 03:15 PM
Bluntman what the heeeeck are you doing in OC Cali !!
Just kidding

Mike you hit the nail on the head, it takes love.... Oh and marinate in buttermilk :lol:

I see you are in Georgia, so you know what we are talkin' about. My Mom and Grandma were born and raised in North Carolina, me born and raised in Cal. But I got the cooking thing from my grandma and my mom.

DBMaster
05-29-2012, 06:24 AM
I am actually in the Dallas, TX area. I used to watch a lot of cooking shows, even before I had satellite (Food Network). I used to watch the PBS cooking shows on Saturday afternoons. I'l have to try that buttermilk marinade. My current process is.

Dry rub the chicken (with skin on, of course!) with your favorite dry rub.
Dredge in seasoned flour.
Dip into mixture of egg, buttermilk, and water (to achieve desired viscosity).
Dredge in flour again.
Rest in refrigerator for 30 minutes to an hour.
Fill iron skillet about halfway with corn oil (What is your preferred oil, Bluntman?).
Add chicken to skillet when oil reaches 350 F.
Cook on each side until coating is golden brown - takes about 20 min per batch.

Since I really prefer thighs and wings I can get away with shorter cooking time. Big, mutant chicken breasts take the longest, of course.

2oodoor
05-29-2012, 06:42 AM
:I miss Justin Wilson

Bluntman
05-29-2012, 07:17 AM
My preferred oil is corn oil, or sometimes I fry my chicken in Crisco the kind that is in a can (old school like my grandma use to do). But other than that rare Crisco occasion I use corn oil. The Crisco is in a can/tub and looks like lard.

Bluntman
05-29-2012, 08:00 AM
Here is prime rib I made in our hotel room we had for News Years. And the two of us had a plate like that each.:cheers:
http://i49.servimg.com/u/f49/12/59/29/63/31830610.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=804&u=12592963)

DBMaster
05-29-2012, 02:25 PM
^^I just soaked the front of my shirt with drool - like Homer Simpson. I wasn't even hungry and my stomach started doing flip-flops and growling.

Glad to hear you like corn oil, too. It takes heat well and is pretty inexpensive. I've never been a big fan of canola oil for frying. It seems to turn bitter too easily. Crisco shortening might be an even better thing to use as it would take heat even better and would be easier to dispose of when you're done with it. Peanut oil, I think, is often preferred in the South. It is a bit pricier but I may have to try that, too.

Damn! I really want some of that prime rib!

Bluntman
05-30-2012, 04:06 PM
LOL DBMaster. We did it on a whim. Since our hotel room had a full kitchen, plates and utensils we ran to the store a got a nice 2 rib prime rib roast (But it was big), and some garlc powder, salt and pepper and some oil to rub it down with. And it came out perfect. Pink on the inside and nice and brown on the outside. And the juice it made was amazing. :cheers:

A20A1
05-30-2012, 08:23 PM
We need a food sub forum for recipes and such. :) You guys are making me hungry.

Bluntman
05-30-2012, 09:03 PM
We need a food sub forum for recipes and such. :) You guys are making me hungry.

The other night I couldn't decide whether to make Rib Eye steak or spaghetti. So I made both.LOL That's how I roll.:cheers:
http://i49.servimg.com/u/f49/12/59/29/63/100_0229.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=806&u=12592963)

2oodoor
05-31-2012, 03:40 AM
You must have your meat cut to order? we normally don't get bone in ribeye unless we ask for it.

A18A
05-31-2012, 05:14 AM
god dammit I'm hungry now

Bluntman
05-31-2012, 07:18 AM
You must have your meat cut to order? we normally don't get bone in ribeye unless we ask for it.

No not cut to order. They are very common out here in the markets. Some of the chains out here such as Stater Bros. also have a actual meat counter where you can choose your steak or whatever from the meat case, instead of already packaged. When Rib Eyes go on sale like around the holidays and such, I stock up.

Hauntd ca3
05-31-2012, 09:36 PM
only 2 things to say.
get a gun and shoot a wild pig and make your own ribs,bacon, ham etc.
and dixon got screwed again, as always.

Bluntman
06-02-2012, 04:20 PM
Making carne asada tacos, and I "made" this for dessert:D:bowrofl::cheers:
http://i49.servimg.com/u/f49/12/59/29/63/100_0230.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=807&u=12592963)

2oodoor
06-02-2012, 05:25 PM
Eatin good in the neighborhood I see...that would be a meal for me with some blue bunny vanilla ice cream mmmm

Bluntman
06-02-2012, 05:32 PM
Eatin good in the neighborhood I see...that would be a meal for me with some blue bunny vanilla ice cream mmmm

Not Blue Bunny, but I have it handled LOL.:cheers:
http://i49.servimg.com/u/f49/12/59/29/63/100_0231.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=808&u=12592963)