PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use OBD Scan tools software w/ Laptops

A20A1
05-30-2012, 08:10 PM
I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with OBDII or real time data logging Laptop software. If I'm going to spend money I don't want to buy the run of the mill reader, I want something that will do more then just give me a code.

I looked for some and this is the first one that popped up
http://www.scantool.net/scanxl-pro.html

Anyways my Chevy Cobalt 2006 2.2 just got a CEL

No experience with EFI, If anything I'll work my way form the fuel tank to the injectors, since I know I haven't replaced the fuel filter(s) since I owned the car, and it's been almost a year now. I suspect it's something to do with fuel since two of the plugs (replaced recently) are white, the engine runs hot, and it seems to want to stall when I stop. Changed oil recently too. Dash says I have 71% life left but I'll be changing it again soon when I hit my mileage mark.

I have a laptop (very old Dell Inspiron) and it is running Ubuntu and I also have a HD with XP on it so anything compatible with those would work. USB ports are not working but I have a new port ready to solder in when I have the time.

Small complaint.

No radiator cap? No Trans dipstick?
I'm sort of paranoid that I can't check these fluids readily. I have to assume the coolant is okay based on the reservoir and feeling the hoses and the trans based on whomever worked on it last.

Oldblueaccord
05-31-2012, 02:01 AM
I have looked a little but :eek: i dont have anything that I can tune excpet the wifes Subaru and who cares what that thing is doing.

I see http://www.autotap.com/techlibrary.asp pop up all the time as a good one.

My friend does that app on his phone that makes a "dashboard" to see all his sensors and stuff. He uses bluetooth with it. I think the app was just a few bucks.

wp

Hauntd ca3
05-31-2012, 02:31 AM
you gotta watch those gm things.
even though it may have an obd 2 port, alot of them require dealer only tech 2 or tech 3 scan tools.
i have a $10k scan tool at work and it wont read some gm products.
the snap on pos scan tools will tho.

gp02a0083
05-31-2012, 03:23 AM
you gotta watch those gm things.
even though it may have an obd 2 port, alot of them require dealer only tech 2 or tech 3 scan tools.
i have a $10k scan tool at work and it wont read some gm products.
the snap on pos scan tools will tho.

Thats the kinda reason my father kept both of his scanners. The OCT genisys is a good scan tool,but his ol snap on red brick will read almost anything

2oodoor
05-31-2012, 03:24 AM
Some of the parts franchises' will read your codes for you at little to no charge.

Runs hot? but not overheating I assume?

If the thermostat isn't closing fully then the engine may run leaner than it should right because the ECM thinks it's warmed up and it's not.

You are right in changing the fuel filter, the best path to take in diagnosing EFI is to keep it to simple PM things first .., like cleaning TB , repl. filters, clean the MAF sensor (CRC MAF cleaner only) cleaning batt. terminals etc...The codes are only a piece of the puzzle but I'm sure you've heard that before.
The other rule of thumb is don't condemn a sensor just because the scanner says something about it, read all the actual data and compare the parameters to what they are supposed to be.
And yet another rule is the ECM do not always catch 'violations' and there can be symptoms with no code. Out of parameter with no code as well.
Edit: sorry if this isn't answering your question but something else, we get an alarming number of GM cars in the early 2000's that get a CEL for "EVAP" system. PO440 -PO44x-This is usually where owners keep filling up the car after the pump clicks off, they continue to put gas in and all they are doing is filling up the filler neck which sets off the code. Also the gas caps set off the same code. The other common EVAP code is the solenoid up by the TB, which also will cause idle issues.

We use the OTC Genysis evo at work.

conozo
05-31-2012, 07:14 AM
If you have an Android phone you can use one of those bluetooth adapter to read codes and get live data to log.
The app is called Torque and its very good. Its $5 and you can see it here https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en
Then you can get any cheap OBD2 ELM327 Bluetooth adapter from ebay. I got this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELM327-OBD2-OBDII-CAN-BUS-V1-5-Bluetooth-Auto-Car-Diagnostic-Interface-Scanner-/290668240072?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item43ad2d5cc8&vxp=mtr

So in all its $22 and you can do a search to double check and see if people had problems using it with your specific car.

ecogabriel
05-31-2012, 07:31 PM
Get the code read (autozone does not charge for it) and then go from there. One thing: do not buy anything they would tell you it will fix your problem.

A20A1
06-01-2012, 08:27 AM
Some of the parts franchises' will read your codes for you at little to no charge.

Runs hot? but not overheating I assume?

Nope not overheating.

I may just go to a store to get it checked, no Autozone here, mostly Napa and Orileys are all I see.

EDIT: My car beat me to the punch. I started it up today and no more CEL. hrmmm?