PDA

View Full Version : Carb Mounting Base

Andy
05-31-2012, 06:26 PM
I am working on replacing the carb on the beloved honda and hosed my the carb mounting surface on the intake manifold. What to do now? These are the options running through my head....

1) Nothing
2) Apply some permatex metal filler and sand flat
3) Get another intake manifold and hope things go better on the next one
4) Spray some of the permatex copper stuff

Anyone have experience with such a gouge or thoughts?

Was going to post a pic on but don't see anything I can figure out as how to paste/insert a pic.

Thanks

turabaka
05-31-2012, 07:08 PM
Assuming it's pretty bad I would either grab a new manifold from the junkyard, or take your current one to a machine shop and see what they can do for you. Either of those options should be pretty cheap.

using metal filer and sanding it flat is never going to be perfect enough, and unless the gouge is really really tiny I doubt using the copper permatex would work since I don't no how it holds up to gasoline.

Dr_Snooz
05-31-2012, 07:34 PM
Black RTV?

Andy
06-02-2012, 02:41 PM
Hadn't considered the machine shop. Called one up and they can do if it lies flat. Looks like it probably would if one took out the mounting studs. Not sure how crazy I am about though with worrying about getting them out and then back in tight enough for the nuts to be properly torqued. Went to the JY today and took apart one car only to have mud come out of the intake manifold cooling lines. Moved on from there to a second car. Looked pretty clean. Got the manifold on the ground and was cleaning it up a little and the large vacuum pipe that Y's on the back of the carb came right on out. Was pretty unhappy at that point. Bought the thing anyway and I guess I am going to look into seeing if I can get brazed or welded to seal it up.

cygnus x-1
06-03-2012, 07:19 AM
Got the manifold on the ground and was cleaning it up a little and the large vacuum pipe that Y's on the back of the carb came right on out. Was pretty unhappy at that point. Bought the thing anyway and I guess I am going to look into seeing if I can get brazed or welded to seal it up.

You're talking about the large steel fitting on the back of the manifold? No need for anything difficult. Just mix up some 2 part epoxy, spread a thin layer on that tube, and jam it in. Job done.

C|

Dr_Snooz
06-03-2012, 07:03 PM
Nobody likes the RTV idea?

POS carb
06-05-2012, 12:39 PM
every time I've tried some kind of rtv on the intake the gasoline kills it in a month

i'm not 100% sure on what the broken part is. Are you talking about the black preheater?
#3 on the illustration
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/catimgs/13se001_e03.png

that's plastic, you may be able to epoxy it or plastic weld it.

DBMaster
06-05-2012, 02:03 PM
When you say you "hosed" the mounting surface do you just mean that you have some deep gouges in it from scraping off old gasket material?

A20A1
06-05-2012, 09:11 PM
Get a photobucket account or something similar then link the images by copy and pasting links they provide you.

For the flange I would use the metal epoxy and maybe a Bondo knife to smooth it out or just wait till it cures and sand it. As for the rear pipe, that can be epoxied in as well with a thin layer but apply the epoxy away from the front edge of the pipe to avoid it squishing past the pipe into the manifold when you insert it back into the hole.
I think on one of my manifolds I ended up taping threads for a brass fitting in place of the T.

Andy
06-18-2012, 07:33 AM
Yea i had i deep gouge. I called around a little to the welding/brazing shops in the area, but no one really wanted to touch it. One guy did look at it and said take it to the machine shop close by. The machine shop did it no problem. Not really sure what he did, can't see anything but it ain't moving none now. Paid $20 for it, which is more then the whole manifold cost me, but I really didn't feel like spending another couple of hours pulling another one which may not have been in any better shape anyways.

2oodoor
06-18-2012, 08:39 AM
I know you got this resolved but....
This works perfect on a carb or throttle body mounting base. I would use it for MINOR imperfections in the surface. Possibly over a small wipe of metal epoxy in any deep gouges.
The copper coat, and or old school gasket shellac would be alternatives. NO RTV:wave:

http://www.permatex.com/images/DisplayImage.asp?210|/images/ProductPhotos/80063.jpg