PDA

View Full Version : How to use muffler hangers from auto parts store

derolph
06-03-2012, 08:41 AM
The muffler I'm replacing on my 88 Accord LX-i had hanger prongs welded to it. That muffler needed replacing and I bought a universal muffler that has no hanger prongs welded to it. So, I think my options are to have hanger prongs welded to it by repair shop or use a simple hanger like the one shown at http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/3A-Racing-10-in-black-rubber-exhaust-pipe-strap-hanger/_/N-25vy?itemIdentifier=255969&_requestid=588788

Anybody familiar with this type of hanger? Apparently, I would use two of them, one to connect to each of the hanger prongs on the underside of the car, and I would use a muffler clamp on the tailpipe to hold these hangers to the pipe and thereby support the muffler. Seems like this should work OK. Do you agree? Any opinions?

import racer
06-03-2012, 09:38 AM
The one at the bottom of the page is a better hanger,top one on the right swivel hanger.Just put clamp over it and tighten down .You may have to find a hole or drill one on the under side of the body.

Vanilla Sky
06-03-2012, 09:47 AM
Do you have any friends with a welder? In all seriousness, it won't cost much more to simply have the proper hangers welded on, even if you take the muffler to a shop for the welding. If you were local to me, I'd weld it up for you for a six pack.

derolph
06-03-2012, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. The idea of having hangers welded to the muffler really seems like the ideal situation to me. So, I think I'll call a shop tomorrow that recently welded a flex section in the exhaust of my other car and discuss this.