PDA

View Full Version : hard wood floor in trunk

HelenKellerrr
06-03-2012, 06:30 PM
I was looking a my friends car and he had put fake hard wood floor down in his car in the trunk of his vw. I was thinking of doing something like this for mine. Any ideas on whether i should or not?

something like this
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL1642/7694390/19471084/347735637.jpg

89HatchbackLxi
06-03-2012, 08:19 PM
No offense, but I really don't see a point in it. It won't match the car's interior, and it doesn't really form any type of function over any other trunk cover will. It will be different though, I'll give you that. lol

stat1K
06-03-2012, 08:21 PM
No offense, but I really don't see a point in it. It won't match the car's interior, and it doesn't really form any type of function over any other trunk cover will. It will be different though, I'll give you that. lol

^^ like underglow does?

i think it looks cool, but if you don't have other wood accents, maybe a steering wheel or shift knob, then i don't see it matching very well...

89HatchbackLxi
06-03-2012, 08:26 PM
^^ like underglow does?

i think it looks cool, but if you don't have other wood accents, maybe a steering wheel or shift knob, then i don't see it matching very well...

Ah, I see what you did there.

Then again, my car's exterior isn't a wooden flooring vinyl graphic wrap, so it's not quite the same thing.

stat1K
06-03-2012, 09:47 PM
yeah it really is quite the same. tit for tat, if you're going to question functionality you better be the pinnacle of such.

DBMaster
06-04-2012, 05:05 AM
You could use teak and then we could all say, "Whatever floats your boat." I personally have enough trouble with stuff sliding around my rather spacious, empty trunk. But, it does look cool. It would be easy enough to remove the current carpet to use as a template for fitting the laminate, wood, etc.

And, in a hatchback, if you use the underlay padding that is used with laminate floors you might very well end up with a slightly quieter ride.

HelenKellerrr
06-04-2012, 05:25 AM
I was thinking about thing sliding around. I figured maybe rigging up a box to put my things in. I want to do the flooring cause one, its different, and two, i have the tan carpet and everytime i need to pull my spare tire out, it gets so dirty.

89HatchbackLxi
06-04-2012, 07:51 AM
yeah it really is quite the same. tit for tat, if you're going to question functionality you better be the pinnacle of such.

No, it is not the same thing. I'm entitled to my own opinion and all I'm saying is that I don't think this would be a good idea. Going through all the trouble to end up with a trunk that seems like it would be noisier, doesn't match the rest of the interior, and could actually cause trouble due to sliding when carrying stuff around on it. That was my opinion. Owning underglow doesn't automatically make everything I say invalid...

If you have a problem with the underglow on my car, deal with it. Neither I nor the OP asked your opinion on underglow, so keep it to yourself and find something better to do with your time than to do than trying to pick a fight online.

stat1K
06-04-2012, 09:12 AM
No, it is not the same thing. I'm entitled to my own opinion and all I'm saying is that I don't think this would be a good idea. Going through all the trouble to end up with a trunk that seems like it would be noisier, doesn't match the rest of the interior, and could actually cause trouble due to sliding when carrying stuff around on it. That was my opinion. Owning underglow doesn't automatically make everything I say invalid...

If you have a problem with the underglow on my car, deal with it. Neither I nor the OP asked your opinion on underglow, so keep it to yourself and find something better to do with your time than to do than trying to pick a fight online.

You're right, you have your opinion and no one asked mine on underglow. However, when you offered up your opinion on function over form i found it quite laughable. Which is why i offered my .02 on your statement. I'm pretty sure that you owning underglow does make everything you say invalid about functionality for sure. I wasn't picking a fight merely pointing out that you too have something impractical and we all tried to talk you out of it. Yet here you are and here he is. At least his is something that is different, not a ricer fad.

2oodoor
06-04-2012, 12:17 PM
I just don't know about this. To me this had to have started via a showcar trend for displaying project souveneirs and would do well for that.
If the acoustics change in a car anything like a house, consider that because laminate totally gave mine lake effect sound carrying lol:flash:

HelenKellerrr
06-04-2012, 12:31 PM
hmmmm, good point roodoo. i have no idea now. ill ask around and see what people think. Im beginning to think this is more practical for a hatch

89HatchbackLxi
06-04-2012, 12:50 PM
You're right, you have your opinion and no one asked mine on underglow. However, when you offered up your opinion on function over form i found it quite laughable. Which is why i offered my .02 on your statement. I'm pretty sure that you owning underglow does make everything you say invalid about functionality for sure. I wasn't picking a fight merely pointing out that you too have something impractical and we all tried to talk you out of it. Yet here you are and here he is. At least his is something that is different, not a ricer fad.

I have underglow on my car because I enjoy the effect of underglow (and pretty much anything that lights up as well as futuristic looking stuff). This is also why I also have a knight rider strip in the grill of my car and hope to someday own a DeLorean. Underglow apparently happens to be often used in movies about street racing. Knight rider was on Television (and in a movie), and Back to the future had a DeLorean in it. According to your logic, if the next Fast&Furious (or any movie for that matter) contains a few cars that have wooden flooring in their trunks, anyone who also happens to have a wood floor trunk automatically becomes a ricer, and therefor they have no say on anything and their sense of useful functionality becomes invalid whatsoever.

Ater all, everything on a car that's not in relation to the engine area or performance is still 100% about functionality, not at all about looks right? And Ferraris and Lamborghinis just happen to be designed and shaped they way they are because that's the only way the performance parts they contain will fit the in way they need to, right?

I'm just saying there is no reason to bash anyone's opinion on something and then act as though yours is the opinion everyone should have. I stated my opinion. You stated yours. I don't care if you don't agree with what I put on my car. But don't tell me I'm wrong when I state my own opinion.

As a side note, out of all the users on this forum you are the only one I've ever had a problem with. I don't get why you are even come here. This is a forum for advice and help concerning the 3rd generation accord. I liked this forum because of all the positive and helpful feedback people have here. You are what is known as a Troll. Never once have you posted anything helpful or positive in any of my threads. Ever. Please, just quit being a jerk and save your .02 until it's actually worth something to somebody.

stat1K
06-04-2012, 12:56 PM
tldr for sure, but after skimming it i'd like to say if wood flooring does become a fad it will be a ricer trend, just like jdm has become. The only point i'm making is that you're being a hypocrite. that's all.

i come here because i like the laughs, if you don't like me block my posts. it's not hard, have vanilla show you how.

89HatchbackLxi
06-04-2012, 01:05 PM
tldr for sure, but after skimming it i'd like to say if wood flooring does become a fad it will be a ricer trend, just like jdm has become. The only point i'm making is that you're being a hypocrite. that's all.

i come here because i like the laughs, if you don't like me block my posts. it's not hard, have vanilla show you how.

All I can say is point proven. "for sure".

stat1K
06-04-2012, 01:12 PM
lol so now you're going to attempt to make fun of grammar???

I don't get why you are even come here

89HatchbackLxi
06-04-2012, 01:20 PM
lol so now you're going to attempt to make fun of grammar???

Uhh, no? I had no plan to make fun of grammar usage.

lostforawhile
06-04-2012, 05:59 PM
does anyone still have pictures of pearldrops old car where he put the hardwood floors inside of the car? Now if you did the trunk and the interior like this, and maby a wood grain steering wheel and shift knob, it would actually look pretty cool, you need to do it as a theme,to anyone hating on this, I seem to remember everyone thinking pearldrops car was pretty cool looking

lostforawhile
06-04-2012, 06:01 PM
gius quit fighting, this was thrown out there as an idea, I think if it was an overall theme it would look good, things have been really slow around here and he actually has an idea thats different

stat1K
06-04-2012, 06:26 PM
no fighting, just pointing out blatant hypocrisy, you guys will be happy to know i've been "officially" warned by vanilla, what a shock!!!?!?!?!?!!!!!

i still want to see this actually done, i think it's a cool idea. whether it's "functional" or not...

Vanilla Sky
06-04-2012, 06:37 PM
No more about underglow lights, no more arguing.

Now, onto the issue at hand.

I'd go for it. I have done a couple of these, but if you are planning on using laminate, use the stuff rated for bathrooms. Cars are hot, humid place. Make sure you have enough room for thermal expansion around the edges as well, because I've seen them warp from being in a car.

When I've done them, I've always used hardwood plywood. Oak plywood takes stain well. If you have wood working tools and you're near a port, I'd go on a hunt for mahogany or teak pallets. In Southeast Asia, it's common for pallets to be built out of woods we consider exotic. Normally, these are free, but I've paid as much as $5 each for them. When I break them down, I'll sell the boards. It's sometimes even a profitable venture, because exotic woods are worth as much as they are.

A20A1
06-04-2012, 07:09 PM
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL1642/7694390/19471084/347735637.jpg
Bamboo?

2drSE-i
06-04-2012, 09:03 PM
I used particle board in my trunk. It was covered by the carpet, but I used it. I don't think it looks so bad, even without matching the rest of the interior.

Vanilla Sky
06-04-2012, 09:14 PM
MDF or lauan is what I'd use for something that's going to be covered up. You might be able to use lauan like this, but a single large piece looks a little like cheap crappy plywood. With some creative work and the right tools, you can plank the lauan, tongue and groove it, and use it just like tongue and groove flooring. I've done bathrooms like this, and we sealed the floor with a poly top coat. A decade later, and it still looks brand new.

stat1K
06-04-2012, 09:46 PM
mdf is definitely useful as just a trunk barrier, i've done that plenty of times. i'm assuming with something like this you'd want to start with a base anyway right? just like you would on a normal floor, the concrete is the very bottom then you lay over it.

poly top coat would be a must most definitely.

hatch88lxi
07-06-2012, 12:10 PM
I want this!

Dr_Snooz
07-06-2012, 08:32 PM
I like it as it is. Just me, but I don't think wood accents really work with the design character of these cars. 3g's were very forward looking and futuristic. Wood always makes me think of classic roadsters and old-money privilege. 3g's make me think of Buck Rogers and moon colonies. Just me, of course.

The cheap wood floors are all blowing out of our trunks anyway, so a good wood surface back there would be awesome. I think it would really work for a hatch where people could see it.

lostforawhile
07-06-2012, 09:01 PM
I like it as it is. Just me, but I don't think wood accents really work with the design character of these cars. 3g's were very forward looking and futuristic. Wood always makes me think of classic roadsters and old-money privilege. 3g's make me think of Buck Rogers and moon colonies. Just me, of course.

The cheap wood floors are all blowing out of our trunks anyway, so a good wood surface back there would be awesome. I think it would really work for a hatch where people could see it.

thats what I did, threw the weak wood floor in the garbage and made a new carpeted floor, I have a piece that velcros over the carpet to protect it, I made a hatch in the floor, and my spare tie mounts to a beam that is mounted under the floor, a steel piece not wood, so my tire sits on top of the floor and is secured down, all the loose crap goes under the floor in the old spare tire well and it's accessed via a hatch door that lifts up. I also made a nice upholstered round cover that goes over the top of the tire. The main reason was to put some of the electronic racks under the floor,

dbales
07-15-2012, 10:37 AM
I'm gonna be doing this to the trunk of my cb7, eventually. I wanna make it look like the old school wood truck beds.

Like so:

http://image.sporttruck.com/f/9422691/0802st_02_z+classic_truck_parts_buyers_guide+bed_w ood.jpg