PDA

View Full Version : new head gasket, leaking oil

uncledoob
06-03-2012, 11:54 PM
86 carb accord

just finished putting new rings, bearings, intake / exhaust mani gaskets, new head gasket, reconditioned the head

got it started first go running very nicely, went around the block and then was checking to see how everything was, and theres an oil leak coming from what looks like the head gasket, under the intake manifold, just behind the 2nd piston.

cant see it exactly, but its around that area. but its not from the oil sensor thingy, or oil fliter etc, can see very very small drops / spray while its idleing with a torch pointed in that area, its leaking i'd say a bit more than a few drops a minute, which is to much to ignore

was wondering why / what could be causing it ?

cheers

LJ1987LX-I
06-04-2012, 01:42 AM
Never heard of oil coming from the head gasket???

uncledoob
06-04-2012, 02:37 AM
guess i should have said first time i have rebuilt an engine...
and no, i have not heard of this much oil comeing from a new head gasket.

HelenKellerrr
06-04-2012, 05:32 AM
who reconditioned the head? and are you using an oem headgasket or some cheap one? That makes a BIG difference right there. If you have oil leaking from the head gasket, which i dont know how it would happen, it could be something with the valves. I personally have never taken apart an engine, but from my understanding of how they work, you could have oil leaking down through the valves. Is you exhaust blue smoke?

uncledoob
06-04-2012, 02:19 PM
head was reconditioned by a reliable shop, it had new valves, valve seats, and a couple worn valve guides replaced, no blue smoke - its not burning any oil, it runs perfectly, just that oil leak, but i have to say that it was a cheapish gasket (money restraints)

but, even so i didnt think it would leak oil, now thats its cooled overnight im going to re-torque the head bolts and see if it makes any difference

Bluntman
06-04-2012, 03:09 PM
In the second post in this thread you will see 2 videos on oil dye. It is very helpful to find oil leaks. They sell kits in auto parts stores that come with a black light and dye. It does help find those tricky oil leaks.http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77567

HelenKellerrr
06-04-2012, 03:42 PM
If anything, it could be the gasket. OR if the head isnt retorqued to the right specs, that may cause problems.

again, i've never done anything with the cylinder head and going off of what i've learned, so what i'm saying maybe invalid (i hope not though)

take a pic if you could. itll help us see where exactly the problem is

Keachman1
06-04-2012, 06:03 PM
Did you remember to install the oil control jet and O-ring in the top of the block between #2 & #3 pistons at the rear of the block. It controls the amount of oil that goes to the head and goes between the head and the block. See the service manual parts breakdown if you are not familiar with it.

uncledoob
06-04-2012, 06:22 PM
Did you remember to install the oil control jet and O-ring in the top of the block between #2 & #3 pistons at the rear of the block. It controls the amount of oil that goes to the head and goes between the head and the block. See the service manual parts breakdown if you are not familiar with it.

i think that may be the problem right there, i re-torqued the head, still oil coming out, i changed alot of o-rings when i rebuilt it, but i think i may have actually forgotten that 1 somehow.

i think i'll order a proper head gasket and pull it apart again, and replace the o-ring and maybe the oil jet too, if i can get another.

cheers for the advice from everyone ^ - hope its fixed after i do that!

ecogabriel
06-04-2012, 07:01 PM

x2. I thought about mentioning it but did not remember whether the A engines had it (only took apart a D15). Someone suggested adding dye to the oil, and I believe it is a good idea.

POS carb
06-07-2012, 02:35 PM
you may have left out the oil control jet or installed it upside down

88Accord-DX
06-25-2012, 08:24 PM
Cheap head gasket will leak oil & not installing the oil jet right.. Personally, I like to tighten the head bolts to 60 ft. lbs after 1k miles.. I never like the torque on these head bolts & learned the hard way using a cheap head gasket..Go with FELPRO or OEM headgaskets!