PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Alert

Mujuce
06-04-2012, 12:16 AM
So I am a complete newbie. By this I mean that I am just starting to wrench my own vehicles. I am also brand new to towning Hondas and an 87 lxi accord at that. I have lots of questions and I am hoping for solid reliable answers from the forums. Anyone that thinks they can help let me know.

Lots of problems since I got it running. ( brief rundown)
Have had to retap 2 cylinders haveing blowby out of cylinder 2(didnt do that one lots of confusion there)
Won't start when hot which I am gonna do research on how to fix thAt. Not sure where it is or how to get to it( biggest problem)

Had some minor part replacements power steering hose went through ignition control module and starter coil thing that was the original problem but I was wrong.

But yea any helpers with some of the same issues feel free to lend advice I am always open to suggestion. Just want my car to be reliable and fun to drive.

Thanks for your time

Mujuce.

LJ1987LX-I
06-04-2012, 01:10 AM
Mine does the failure to start when it gets hot outside, too. But will start eventually. I've been told it's the main relay. I'm about to replace it here soon, though.

Vanilla Sky
06-04-2012, 09:25 PM
You've come to the right place. We're a bunch of guys that just love to see these old cars staying on the road, perhaps to be remembered fondly as someone's first car.

The hot start issue can be several things. The main relay is one of those points, as is the coil, and starter relay. A search is a big help here, as every hot start problem has been addressed at some point.

Spark plug threads are always an issue with the cylinder heads these cars came with. They are aluminum, and the plugs are inserted at an angle. Most people attempt to thread them in straight, and it strips out the threads. When my head goes back to the machine shop, I'm having thread inserts installed to eliminate the problem. I think that's a good thing to do if you ever rebuild one of these cylinder heads.

We do have an electronic repair manual available, you can find it at the top of the General section. It will walk you through diagnosing and replacing literally every single parts in these cars. It's a great help to us as a community to have such a great free repair manual.

That's all I have. Try the veal, and don't forget to tip the waitress.

pickupman6
06-10-2012, 08:16 PM
Welcome from south alabama! The tw sensor could also be the cause of your hot no start issue. But unless your pgm-fi light is on that's probably not it, probably.

obdriver6
06-10-2012, 10:07 PM
Welcome from Nevada!