PDA

View Full Version : Car is Toast

DBMaster
06-07-2012, 04:15 AM
I spun out on a wet patch on the highway last night. My tires are about 2/3 worn out and I literally just "floated" over a section of highway, spinning around and ultimately hitting the wall. Three out of the four wheels are badly tweaked and the body (which looks a lot better than it should) is tweaked enough for the trunk not to close. I am done. I do not have the time or money to fix it from this. I would much rather see it go to someone here because this car is so immaculate you could practically rebuild yours with my parts. Here is a listing of things I have done to it in recent years.

New struts and mounting bushings (Monroe Sensatrac) - 2011
Timing belt, water pump, and drive belts - February 2012
Front UCA's (Moog) - 2010 - Moog made by 3-5
Rear UCA's (TRW) -2011 - TRW made by 3-5
Rebuilt Automatic Transmission from Howard Engineering - 2009 - has about 60,000 miles on it and it shifts like a new one. Cost me $2,500 installed in 2009.
New alternator (aftermarket) - 2009, but I still have the original which I put new brushes into.
NEW (not rebuilt) distributor - TEC - 2008. I also have the original which I completely rebuilt before finding the new one on eBay. This was not the "lazy man's rebuild." I put only about two months of use on it before putting in the new one.
Brand new power window control module - 2012
Relatively new radiator fan assemblies - little one installed in 2007, big one installed in 2010.
Denso compressor - brand new when installed in 2010.
Immaculate interior - looks better than you can picture.
H4 conversion housings (Maxtel) with glass lenses and Hella 55/60W bulbs.
Renewed power steering pump this year with a complete new seal kit.
Denso blue ignition wires - super clean - 2010
E3 spark plugs with about half their useful life remaining.
Ignition coil - 2008
EGR valve - Perhaps five years ago?
Replaced all LED's behind the climate control buttons about five years ago.
4-year old Optima Red Top battery - my last one lasted six years.
3-year old master cylinder. Was brand new when installed.
New rotors treated with Brake-Tru resurfacing kit.
Raybestos Quiet Stop (ceramic) brake pads with 75% of lining left on them.

There must be more as it seems I have been messing with it pretty often lately - the curse of old cars. It has a decent stereo in it, but the CD player no longer works. I use it only for the radio and MP3 player input jack. The rear speakers are 6x9 Clarion 2-ways with graphite impregnated cones. The fronts are poly cone 5.25" Rockford Fosgate 2-ways.

I think that all this stuff justifies asking $1,000 for it. Somehow, the engine compartment and passenger compartment escaped any damage. This car really is a "must see to appreciate." I am about as upset as I can be. Only a person's passing could be worse for me right now.

A18A
06-07-2012, 04:24 AM
that sucks, lots of people crashing lately :( least you didn't get hurt by the sounds of it.

2oodoor
06-07-2012, 04:39 AM
That is terrible, I'm glad you are ok for the most part though.

Oldblueaccord
06-07-2012, 05:56 AM
Well it sounds like you are ok.Sorry about your car.

wp

DBMaster
06-07-2012, 06:18 AM
Thanks, guys. I am so lucky that there were no other cars hit and no cops involved. They always want to write citations around here.

Legend_master
06-07-2012, 06:26 AM
Say it aint so! That is a damn shame man, glad you are ok. I wish I had the cash, I am in your area and would snag this car from you. What color is the interior?

DBMaster
06-07-2012, 09:04 AM
I PM'd you, Legend Master.

DBMaster
06-07-2012, 10:09 AM
I know a lot of you like pics, so at the risk of making myself ill all over again...

Wrinkled sheet metal on passenger side
http://mysite.verizon.net/res1ul76/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/89acc01.jpg

D/S front wheel with what I assume is a bent lower control arm. Upper looks fine. Wheel is all gouged around the rim and most likely bent as well.
http://mysite.verizon.net/res1ul76/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/89acc02.jpg

Don't know why I bothered, but I was able to do a temp fix on the D/S mirror with metal repair tape. I just couldn't stand to see it hanging there.
http://mysite.verizon.net/res1ul76/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/89acc03.jpg

Rear D/S quarter. Wheel is also gouged. Lower control arm badly bent. Paint scraped off and miscellaneous dents. I also think the rear quarter is tweaked because I cannot close the trunk.
http://mysite.verizon.net/res1ul76/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/89acc04.jpg

Another view of the D/S rear. Bumper is toast, wheel is toast.
http://mysite.verizon.net/res1ul76/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/89acc05.jpg

2oodoor
06-07-2012, 10:37 AM
I'll be a sob you weren't bull shittin toast, dam that sucks:sad2:

ecogabriel
06-07-2012, 12:33 PM
f#@king bad luck!

At least you are fine and nobody else got hurt. Still sucks though

nswst8
06-07-2012, 01:01 PM
Just glad that you are okay. A shame another accord bites the dust.

DBMaster
06-07-2012, 03:25 PM
I sure would like to see these parts go to people who need them, but I don't have a whole lot of time and desire to post them individually on eBay and such. There are SO many good, quality parts in this car that were installed over the past few years. The engine/transmission could simply be dropped into another Accord. No leaks. I could never hope to make a comprehensive list of everything I have done to keep it running and looking like new.

Dr_Snooz
06-07-2012, 08:59 PM
My heart is broken for you. :(

Vanilla Sky
06-07-2012, 09:27 PM
Man, even as nice as your car was, it was still JUST a car. You're here and able to tell us about it, that's what counts.

DBMaster
06-08-2012, 06:14 AM
^^True. I may have to advertise the thing on Craig's List to find the right buyer. I realized I have several spare parts that are worth a lot as well.

Original alternator with new brushes - bearing is fine. Good to go.
Original TEC distributor that I rebuilt - new bearing, bushing, seal, o-ring, springs, bronze weight bushings, cap rotor, and vacuum advance.
Power antenna motor
Headlight door trim
Original chrome lug nuts (had to get new ones for aftermarket wheels)
Drum brake hardware kit - unopened in box

You guys know how it is. You tend to accumulate stuff over 23 years of owning the same car.

Vanilla Sky
06-08-2012, 09:21 AM
How's the center tail light section? There's about 50 of us that want one of those.

DBMaster
06-08-2012, 10:50 AM
Center section and right section are totally undamaged. I have a coworker whose son is a mechanic. She is interested in the car. Let's see what happens there first. I would rather sell the whole thing than part it out. I am going to want it out of my sight asap. It is unbecoming for a man of my age to cry. :(

obdriver6
06-14-2012, 01:00 PM
Oh man that sucks but I'm glad you're ok!

Dr_Snooz
06-14-2012, 09:54 PM
DB, did you trade it in with the tail center section? An unbroken center section is pretty much the holy grail of 3geedom.

DBMaster
06-15-2012, 05:45 AM
Yes, I did. I had no idea that this was such a rare part. Mine had a small piece cracked out of it on the bottom, toward the back. It was not visible with the trunk closed.

Sorry, guys. I am still playing games with some people who PM'd me for free parts and have not responded back top pay for shipping. I am giving it until Monday, posting the parts I still have in a new thread, and then tossing in the trash if this happens again.

At least the alternator, distributor, and shop manual have found good homes.

Vanilla Sky
06-15-2012, 05:58 AM
Yeah man, I expressed interest and have money in hand. I seriously wasn't exaggerating when I said that there's about 50 people here that wanted it.

DBMaster
06-15-2012, 06:04 AM
And, I doubt that would have affected the $500 they gave me for the car. Darn it! I really would have liked to have seen it go to a good home.

Maybe whoever buys it from auction will fix 'er up.

Vanilla Sky
06-15-2012, 06:47 AM
Cars that old and damaged go straight to the crusher from the dealership most of the time. Hopefully yours will end up going through an auction and go into a junk yard where it has a chance of being found.

DBMaster
06-15-2012, 07:36 AM
They did remark, just based upon the interior and engine compartment that it was obvious the car had been well maintained. At this point, I don't want to know. I was careful at first, but found that I could drive it at highway speed. I wouldn't have wanted to go cross-country in it, but I still managed to pass a number of pokey grannies on the way. The way these morons drive around here is an embarrassment to the human race.