PDA

View Full Version : Ut oh,...trouble in paradise Damaged my front Koni's

Jims 86LXI HB
05-11-2002, 09:29 AM
Ut oh, the other day I was impatient and hooked a max-g left turn into del taco, because I didn't want to wait for traffic. At the last moment I realized that their driveway had a big fat curb lip. So I did a max brake application,...bad idea:rolleyes: Because the front suspension was compressed their wasn't much room to soak up the curb lip. BAM!!!!! my uncut bumpstops got compressed to the thickness of a sheet of paper.:mad: Now I can see I've damaged the front struts, as they are starting to fade and get loose. So I'm thinking about my options.

1. Find out how much to rebuild the front Koni's and if it
doesn't cost anything have them valved a tad stiffer.
2. Just get a new front pair of koni's.
3. Send the Bilsteins off to Bilstein and have them revalved
30%-40% stiffer (this is my cheapest option and frankly I'm
curious if they would outperform the koni's once their revalve).
I still have the Bilsteins that I had pulled off the car for the konis

4. I'm also looking into some other option, but they will cost
allot more, $600-$1200:(

Jerren
05-11-2002, 09:53 AM
it sounds like you have it bad jim. maybe you should just sale me your car. if you do that, you won't have any thing to worry about.

88LXi68
05-11-2002, 10:01 AM
Jim would those more expensive options be from OPM motorsports?? Hopefully you can fix the problem soon.

RCracer
05-11-2002, 10:38 AM
Hi
Jim will the expensive option not be tooo hard? I know what you are saying about revalving the shocks as even though the koni reds are the stiffest for our cars without resorting to "something sprecial" they still are a tad on the soft side as they are nearly on 3/4 as soon as we put them on.
Then again it sounds like your roads are smoother than the roads in the UK so maybe that would be the way to go.
Just my 10 pence worth
Paul

Jims 86LXI HB
05-11-2002, 11:37 AM
Jim would those more expensive options be from OPM motorsports??

Yes and no, I'm more likely to want the shocktec units, opm has some convincing to do with me.:rolleyes: I'm looking into other options as well.

it sounds like you have it bad jim. maybe you should just sale me your car. if you do that, you won't have any thing to worry about.

No it ain't that bad, I still don't have bounce. If I did I would not be on the computer right now, I'd be removing struts right NOW!

they still are a tad on the soft side

For a sport strut they are on the soft side, compaired to stock, they are firm. For most normal spirited driving these struts are more then firm enough. However I have run into instances where I needed more dampning and stiffer springs, but I HIGHLY doubt that many 3rd gen owners would ever do what I was doing on a public road. Flat out max to the absolute limit for myself and the cars abilites, fun, but I want MORE:D

Jim will the expensive option not be tooo hard?

Well here's a link to read on how those $1200 struts act on any one of their 5 different settings. Unlike the koni specials these special custom struts will adjust for compression and rebound, not just rebound.
http://www.hotshox.com/products/products.html

My roads smooth, I WISH!!! Right now I do not have any roads that I avoid, the car ain't that stiff.

Jims 86LXI HB
05-13-2002, 07:10 PM
http://www.hotshox.com/products/products.html

Well I can cross the above company off my list. I called Bilstein today and they told me lots of people had been calling to have their shocktec struts worked on. Because shocktec, is out of business. I called their phone number today and surprise, phone is no longer in service. Oh well. I guess it was to good to be true.

AccordChemist
05-13-2002, 07:56 PM
looks like it time for an air ride system like tkc89

Justanothermike
05-13-2002, 08:29 PM
i wonder how an air ride system would hold up when ur taking max G turns:rolleyes:

Jims 86LXI HB
05-13-2002, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by mike89lxi
looks like it time for an air ride system like tkc89

:lol That has got to be the funniest thing I've ever had said to me on any web forum I belong to. :lol :lol :lol

That would be like asking a rap artist to give it up for country music, umm no, no way. I'll buy another car first. You have to understand I live to push my car, air ride/bag systems are at the opposite end of that love, taking it easy, NOOO NOT THAT!!!!:huh:

Besides I made a bunch of phone calls today and I'm going to send the Bilsteins out to be revalved. It's only gonna cost me $110. And in a month or so I'm going to try something else out that the Bilstein tech suggested and go with that. And if that works out I'll offer the Bilsteins for sale for what I paid to have them revalved.:D

AccordChemist
05-14-2002, 03:00 PM
i know silly, i wasnt serious, it was a joke, lol...:lol

Jims 86LXI HB
05-14-2002, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by mike89lxi
i know silly, i wasnt serious, it was a joke, lol...:lol

I thougt so, but wasn't quite sure:lol That was to funny man.