PDA

View Full Version : How to replace side marker light in 88 Accord?

derolph
06-09-2012, 02:31 PM
The outer lens/covering on both side marker lights is broken. I searched youtube for a video and found one for 5th gen Accords but found nothing for 3rd gen Accords. How are these lights removed on 3rd gen Accords?

A18A
06-09-2012, 03:28 PM
the ones next to the headlights? you pop the lights up, and look in the little gap between the light & the headlight, there will be 2 screw holes, unscrew the 2 phillips screws and pull the light towards the front of the car to remove it

derolph
06-09-2012, 04:10 PM
Thanks. That helped.

derolph
06-15-2012, 08:49 AM
I bought a pair of side marker lights on eBay and installed them yesterday. The original light assemblies had a boot (see photo; it shows new and old) over the electrical connector. The new ones had no boot. I wonder whether this is something to be concerned about.

I could have removed the old light sockets and wiring from the old assemblies and used them in the new assemblies.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/farmpond/Automotive/sidemarker.jpg

HLW
06-15-2012, 10:48 AM
The boot is there to help keep water form easily getting to the connection. It should usually be OK without the boot.

If you want to use the new wires and cover the conection, you can wrap the conection in electrical tape, use some heat shrink tube that is just larget than the plug and shrink only the portion over the wires or you can transfer the boot from the old wires to the new wires. To move the boot, you need to remove the pins from the plastic of the connector and pull the wires through the boot one at a time. Then do the same on the new wire to put the boot on, but make sure you put the wires back in the same place in the plastic part of the connector.

derolph
06-15-2012, 11:11 AM
I did not know those wires could be removed and reinstalled in those plastic connectors. I'll give it a try. Otherwise, I'll try your alternate suggestion. :cheers:

HLW
06-15-2012, 09:13 PM
The pins clip in so you need find the clip and use a small thin screwdriver to open the clip. I've done this on some connectors I got from the JY to replace broken connectors.