PDA

View Full Version : how to repair gouge in bumper?

derolph
06-14-2012, 06:58 AM
I don't know how this happened but the front bumper has two gouges in it; the one to the right is deeper than the one to the left. At some point, I'd like to do some paint work on this car and I'm wondering how those gouges might be smoothed before painting the bumper.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/farmpond/Automotive/frontbumper.jpg

derolph
06-14-2012, 09:09 AM
I found some references such as http://www.ehow.com/how_7335417_repair-rubber-car-bumper.html. Looks like the technique will involve use of a heat gun and some type of filler. Since I would need to buy heat gun, I might inquire about cost from a body shop before deciding whether to try repairing it myself.

RAZR
06-14-2012, 09:33 AM
Heat gun $12.99 Harbor Freight and Tool

derolph
06-14-2012, 12:09 PM
Thanks, I would have guessed they cost much more. Actually, now that I've looked, many do cost more. I did not find any selling for $12.99 on Harbor Freight and Tool's website but I did find one currently selling for $13.99. It's this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-watt-dual-temperature-heat-gun-572-1112-96289.html

So, yeah, I might get one. Then, the challenge will be to successfully use it.

Vanilla Sky
06-14-2012, 12:43 PM
A heat gun is not the proper tool to stitch ABS with. You need a hot iron. Think of a 100 watt pencil soldering iron with a flattened tip.

There is a really top notch epoxy made specifically for repairing bumpers. I'd check into that before I attacked it with molten plastic.

89HatchbackLxi
06-14-2012, 02:20 PM
I agree. A heat gun would help for blackening the material, but not exactly for smoothing it out like you want to do. You'll need to do some body work using some plastic body filler. I used plastic filler for repairing a few minor gashes in my bumper, however it wasn't the top part of the bumper that I used it on, but it would work for that part just as well.

Also, you'll notice there is a pattern on the top side of the bumper which you'll have to find a way to replicate with a spray texture or something, or just sand the entire bumper and leave it without a texture. I have yet to tackle this area on my own respray project. Let me know what you decide to do and how it comes out.

derolph
06-14-2012, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the suggestions and precautionary advise. I agree a heat gun might not be the right tool for this and using one could do more harm than good. I'll look into the epoxy or something of that nature to use as a filler and let you know how it turns out.

Also, you'll notice there is a pattern on the top side of the bumper ...I believe strip that's normally black, right? That "texture" was not my doing. Apparently, somebody applied some silver paint to that strip. I want to remove it or prep the strip for painting and put some flat black paint on it to restore it to the standard look.

89HatchbackLxi
06-14-2012, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the suggestions and precautionary advise. I agree a heat gun might not be the right tool for this and using one could do more harm than good. I'll look into the epoxy or something of that nature to use as a filler and let you know how it turns out.

I believe strip that's normally black, right? That "texture" was not my doing. Apparently, somebody applied some silver paint to that strip. I want to remove it or prep the strip for painting and put some flat black paint on it to restore it to the standard look.

I think it depends on the body style and trim model of the car. For example, my 89 Hatch (Lxi) has all black on the top of the bumper and the rest is painted to match the car. The texture I was talking about is on the original finish of the bumpers where black was showing. For some reason I was thinking the silver was just a reflection the first time I saw it, I see now that it's actually on the bumper. If there's already paint on the bumper chances are the texture isn't there anymore anyways, so unless you really want to re-texture it with spray texture or something, it'd probably be a lot easier to just skip the texture, and just make it smooth.

In my opinion, best way to attack it would be to start with some rougher sandpaper (since its a bumper and not a metal panel). 80-160 should work to get the edges down a bit as well as get the damaged area ready to grip to the plastic filler/epoxy. Wipe it down and apply the filler, shape it, then switch to a DA with 220 smooth it and feather the edges. Prime it, block it, paint it. Good to go. You might want to go with a trim or bumper specific paint rather than just a regular flat black. Might look a little closer to OEM stlye than a flat black paint would. Also, bumper paint (should) contain a flex agent in it which allows for more durability than standard paint, so it'll hold up better against future road debris.

lostforawhile
06-14-2012, 06:27 PM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47771&highlight=bumper+repair

the pictures are really old and it's the old grill etc lol, but it's your basic information you need