PDA

View Full Version : Help my 4gee Please It wont start no where else to turn

bryan42688
06-14-2012, 09:05 AM
so as the title states i have a 4gee ( also a 3gee) and i have been though hell and high water i just need one technical question answered , i think i have found my problem to be the fuel filter witch the dealer states shouldnt be the problem because it should last the life of the car . if i unplug the fuel filter towards the engine and crank the car nothing comes out the filter , i have confirmed that the pump is pushing gas i removed the line from the pump and when i crank it gas comes out of there, is this a bad fuel filter and is this stopping me from driving thanks and sorry for posting about 4gee in the 3geez forms

ps my 3gee is running great ,

cygnus x-1
06-14-2012, 09:25 AM
so as the title states i have a 4gee ( also a 3gee) and i have been though hell and high water i just need one technical question answered , i think i have found my problem to be the fuel filter witch the dealer states shouldnt be the problem because it should last the life of the car . if i unplug the fuel filter towards the engine and crank the car nothing comes out the filter , i have confirmed that the pump is pushing gas i removed the line from the pump and when i crank it gas comes out of there, is this a bad fuel filter and is this stopping me from driving thanks and sorry for posting about 4gee in the 3geez forms

ps my 3gee is running great ,

You're 90% of the way there. Try disconnecting the fuel filter entirely and crank it over. If you then get fuel flow, the problem is most likely the filter. The only other possibility would be a weak fuel pump, but it would have to be REALLY weak to not push through the filter.

If you don't get fuel flow with the filter completely disconnected, there is a blockage somewhere between the pump and the filter.

C|

bryan42688
06-14-2012, 09:30 AM
thanks im going to pick up a filter just in case it is , the pump is brand new btw

derolph
06-19-2012, 06:15 AM
... the dealer states shouldnt be the problem because it should last the life of the car ... Are you kidding, a dealer said that? Unbelievable! I just looked in the Owner's Manual for my '91 Accord. It says replace the fuel filter every 60K miles.

DBMaster
06-19-2012, 06:28 AM
Strangely enough, a lot of new cars (even cars from the 90's) specify no interval for replacing the fuel filter. The 3G FI model specifies 60K miles. With filters built into gas pumps I don't think that car fuel filters pick up much junk anymore. I have a new fuel filter to replace the one on my daughter's 99 I30 that has been in since 1999 and 200K miles. The car is acting like it has a partially clogged filter. I guess we'll see.

Since ALL of the 4G Accords were fuel injected I would think that the filters should go for AT LEAST the 60K miles that the 3G filters went, if not longer.

derolph
06-19-2012, 06:52 AM
Since ALL of the 4G Accords were fuel injected I would think that the filters should go for AT LEAST the 60K miles that the 3G filters went, if not longer.And, presumably, bryan42688's 4G Accord is way beyond 60K miles. LOL

DBMaster
06-19-2012, 07:26 AM
I'm sure. I missed the bit in your post stating that your O/M had the 60K mile interval in it.

Legend_master
06-19-2012, 07:39 AM
I was always told (when I worked for Honda Service) that the filter should only need to be replaced if there is some sort of contaminate in the fuel. Running the tank down to empty (sediment from the bottom), or someone putting sugar in there could cause this. I have never actually cut a fuel filter apart, I wonder if the material inside breaks down.

DBMaster
06-19-2012, 09:57 AM
Legend Master, I have heard that statement about running the tank empty throughout my entire driving life. What I don't get is how that would cause any more contamination of the fuel filter. First off, the fuel pickup ALWAYS draw fuel from the bottom of the tank and secondly, there is a screen on the end of it. So, I have always tended to think that was bs. Sugar in the tank won't wreck the engine, but will clog a fuel pickup or filter, as you state. Most fuel filters look a lot like oil filters inside - made out of pleated paper and/or fine metal mesh.

kentwat
06-20-2012, 07:05 AM
I'd recommend finding another dealer for servicing your vehicle.

pickupman6
09-18-2012, 08:16 PM
Did you ever get it runnin?