PDA

View Full Version : Component Life Expectancy

Andy
06-18-2012, 07:43 AM
Got my intake manifold out and cooling system drained, and thinking about what else I can do while this area is wide open. Or what else I should do. My heater core is original at 416 K miles. My radiator started leaking a couple of years ago somewhere in the 300's. Is anyone still on their original core further out than this? Or maybe the mileage actually helps and the question is stupid, since more miles would seem to imply more coolant drains/refills over the same time frame based on a 60K timing belt / water pump change. How about the master brake cylinder? These parts are still currently available but I have noticed recently how stuff has been dropping off. Very surprised to see something like a head gasket listed now as unavailable.

DBMaster
06-18-2012, 08:02 AM
My car needed master cylinder replacement every 90-100K miles like clockwork. I followed Honda's recommendations from the time it was new to replace the brake fluid every 30K miles. I may be unusual in that I brake quite hard and quite late as a habit. My brake pads last forever, but the MC does not. I bought a lifetime unit from O'Reilly's Auto Parts, decent quality, for $55. It was still on the car when I wrecked it. They are nice because they are brand new and come complete with a new reservoir. As long as you maintain the coolant the heater core ought to last nearly forever. The only time I ever hear about people replacing them is if they leak. I replaced my radiator in 2000.

2oodoor
06-18-2012, 08:24 AM
Personally I would be reluctant to change out a heater core as preventive maintenance. I assume these are well made since I have not seen a lot of posts about them.
You may want to inspect that steel cross over coolant pipe that goes under the intake, for rust or signs of seepage.
It is also a good time to replace the oil filter base adapter gasket when the intake is off. Hellova lot easier when you have it right there on top and you're not wrestling it under the car, burrowing through years of caked black gooey PS fluid seepage on the rear cross member. :thumbup:May as well repl the oil sender too, and degrease that mess while you have access.

Vanilla Sky
06-18-2012, 08:47 AM
I'd also replace all of the little coolant lines while you have the manifold out. So much easier to do when you know where they are in your head.

DBMaster
06-18-2012, 10:19 AM
^^YES, YES, YES! I replaced all those little coolant lines in 2009. It only took a couple of hours but I am sure my neighbors can still remember all my creative obscenities.

I saved myself a lot of grief by purchasing ALL of the bypass and heater hoses from Majestic Honda for about $55.00. They are molded to just the right shape.

cygnus x-1
06-18-2012, 10:58 AM
Replace anything related to the PCV system; any seals and hoses connected to the little black box.

C|

Legend_master
06-18-2012, 11:47 AM
All the above, and really I would just do a visual inspection of the area. If you find something that has not failed, but looks old. You might consider replacement. I'm thinking about purchasing parts I know will go out in the future. I'm afraid something will break, and no longer be available. Currently Rock auto has a lot of the parts, but many of them were down to 1 or 2, and being cleared out.

DBMaster
06-18-2012, 03:42 PM
I know exactly what you mean ^^. That's why I had goofy stuff like the rubber seal on top of the radiator support. Majestic Honda always has that extra $5 on top of shipping for "handling." A lot of times I would order when I needed something, but kept a list of miscellaneous parts to add to make the handling worthwhile. I also figured a lot of stuff would eventually start being discontinued. In the HVAC business you are obligated to carry certain critical parts for systems for fifteen years after the last manufacture date. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some legal obligation like that for cars.

lostforawhile
06-18-2012, 04:11 PM
one of the odd things that cases heater core failure are bad grounds in the audio system, if your grounds are bad current makes it way to ground through the cooling system,and this eats away at the metal a bit at a time, there was an entire section in the book that came with my heater core about this. weird but it happens

lostforawhile
06-18-2012, 04:18 PM
http://www.sancarlosradiator.com/electrolysis.htm

Dr_Snooz
06-18-2012, 06:11 PM
x2 on the PCV. Definitely check it out. If it's covered in black goo, it needs love.

Also x2 on the coolant pipe. Those things can corrode out pretty bad. Just make sure it isn't leaking or seeping because it's a bear to replace when the manifold is in.

x3 on the bypass hoses. I got about 150k good miles out of mine before they burst and left me stranded. Replace them all together, unless you like tow bills.

Also take a look at your PS lines. If they are excessively hard or seeping, replace them. You might also consider replacing the PS high pressure line at this time. There will be a lot more room to work down there now than after you put all the stuff back in.

As for the heater core, my cooling system was never serviced for about 180k miles. When I got it, it was a rusty mess and failed routinely. The only part I didn't replace was the heater core and it works just fine. I even replaced a couple freeze plugs before it was all over.

A20A1
06-18-2012, 07:31 PM
http://www.sancarlosradiator.com/electrolysis.htm

It talks about a regular drain and flush not being enough to neutralize the acid during a flush, so why not use Sodium Carbonate or Sodium Bicarbonate to lower the acidity while flushing?