PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Gears for 5th Gear

jackal
06-18-2012, 09:34 PM
Does anyone know where to find a set of replacement gears for 5th gear?

I am considering going on a junkyard tour to see if I can find a transmission with a good 5th gear. Is there anything in particular I should look for in a donor set of gears? Is there an easy way to see that 5th gear is good or bad?

wjc9898
09-22-2012, 08:41 AM
I have a 1989 Honda Accord SEi that i just replaced fifth gear in. I bought new gears on E-bay for about $90.00. I was going to replace the Trans but the 90 bucks was worth not going thru the hassle of trans replacement and my current trans shifts great and I know what I have, sometimes a used one can have other issues, any way, if you take the cover off of a doner trans the fifth gear set should mesh well, have good deep gear contact and rotate freely when in neutral, also look for gear condition and any galling or burnt apperance. The great thing is this can be accomplished with the trans in the car. Very easy job. Just remenber the large gear nut is LH treads and the small gear nut is RH threads. Good luck!

2ndGenPreludeSi
09-22-2012, 04:49 PM
Damn son! Nice first post

ecogabriel
09-25-2012, 04:35 PM
I have a 1989 Honda Accord SEi that i just replaced fifth gear in. I bought new gears on E-bay for about $90.00. I was going to replace the Trans but the 90 bucks was worth not going thru the hassle of trans replacement and my current trans shifts great and I know what I have, sometimes a used one can have other issues, any way, if you take the cover off of a doner trans the fifth gear set should mesh well, have good deep gear contact and rotate freely when in neutral, also look for gear condition and any galling or burnt apperance. The great thing is this can be accomplished with the trans in the car. Very easy job. Just remenber the large gear nut is LH treads and the small gear nut is RH threads. Good luck!

great post!

POS carb
09-27-2012, 11:44 AM
Rookie of the month

rocketman
10-05-2012, 03:56 AM
Good info wjc! I have an '89 DX with a sometmes noisey 5th gear, as for now a mix of Honda gear oil and Lucas has kept it quiet (er) and operating for me. Good to know what you posted. Rocketman