PDA

View Full Version : Prepaid Debit Card

conozo
06-21-2012, 10:07 AM
So im starting to work on my DX-I again and i wanted to reserve some funds on a prepaid debit card. Does anyone have any experience with these or have one they prefer. I wont be making a whole lot of purchases with it per month if that makes a difference, i did see a few where you had to make 30 purchases or more a month or something like that which is not what i want.

lostforawhile
06-21-2012, 10:38 AM
Look into a basic free checking account at a bank those cards are a rip off they charge you to put your own money on the card and to draw it out the fees add up quick a bank account will come with a debit card that does the same thing, just opt out of the overdraft option

derolph
06-21-2012, 12:58 PM
Look into a basic free checking account at a bank those cards are a rip off they charge you to put your own money on the card and to draw it out the fees add up quick a bank account will come with a debit card that does the same thing, just opt out of the overdraft option
Is that all one sentence? LOL I hope he reads it right.

lostforawhile
06-21-2012, 01:20 PM
Is that all one sentence? LOL I hope he reads it right.

Im on my phone don't troll or at least add something useful to the thread

2oodoor
06-21-2012, 01:47 PM
Why not a paypal card? I didnt like the process of the restorable visa cards its attached to your ssn .

stat1K
06-21-2012, 01:55 PM
paypal is the best idea. banks don't have free checking and if they do it will be gone in a month. this is true for most banks.

i would pick paypal since there are no monthly fees and you can add the funds from your bank account. hell my paypal mobile will let me take a picture of a check just like b of a.

derolph
06-21-2012, 02:21 PM
banks don't have free checking ...Well, some do, although getting free checking often requires maintaining a certain minimum balance. So, if you're thinking of getting a new checking account, this is a point of comparison.

I second stat1K's suggestion re: PayPal.

stat1K
06-21-2012, 02:31 PM
that's not the definition of free checking i use. i work and have worked in banking for 7 years now. and it was roodoo's suggestion i'm reitterating.

cygnus x-1
06-21-2012, 02:53 PM
So im starting to work on my DX-I again and i wanted to reserve some funds on a prepaid debit card. Does anyone have any experience with these or have one they prefer. I wont be making a whole lot of purchases with it per month if that makes a difference, i did see a few where you had to make 30 purchases or more a month or something like that which is not what i want.

What is it that you are trying to get out of the card? Do you not have a credit card and want to make purchases online? If you just want a place to save money then get a savings account, or stuff it under your mattress.

For general banking you might try and see if you can join a local credit union. They usually have much less in the way of fees for things. For example, my credit union has no fees for checking (unless of course you over draft). There is no minimum balance for checking accounts. The only stipulation for membership is that you keep at least $50 in a savings account. I also have a master card debit card that can be used either with a PIN or without (for online purchases for example), and you can set a daily limit on it in case it gets lost or stolen. The money comes right out of my checking account, and it can also be used to get cash at ATM machines. No monthly fees for this card either. Plus there is no credit behind it so I'm not tempted to over spend.

C|

derolph
06-21-2012, 03:35 PM
that's not the definition of free checking i use. i work and have worked in banking for 7 years now. and it was roodoo's suggestion i'm reitterating.If you mean totally free checking (no minimum balance requirement), then, yes, it's hard to find. However, here's one I'm aware of: https://www.huntington.com/pas/free_checking.htm

A20A1
06-21-2012, 09:23 PM
I have a free checking account, actually I have two. One account I use for paying bills and the other is for savings, but if I wanted an actual savings I am required to have $300 minimum.

conozo
06-22-2012, 03:10 AM
Thanks for the replies, I do have a credit card and several savings accounts but I just wanted to keep this money separate from the other accounts so that it only gets used for the 3gee. I may just add another savings account then transfer money when I need it.