PDA

View Full Version : Boiled Plastic?

DBMaster
06-21-2012, 03:01 PM
Read the section of the Rock Auto Newsletter titled "Boiled Plastic." Very intriguing, I must say. I am not sure how it would help with breaking clips because they would still be attached to the car.

http://www.rockauto.com/Newsletter/index.html

89HatchbackLxi
06-21-2012, 03:07 PM
Nice find! I'll have to try this with some of the spare clips I have and see if I notice any difference. If they seem to have improved, I'll do this to all the clips before I put the trim back on my car after I repaint it. Thanks for posting!

Legend_master
06-21-2012, 03:25 PM
That's actually pretty cool, I have all kind of stuff I need to boil now lol.

89HatchbackLxi
06-21-2012, 04:01 PM
Tried this on about 20 of my spare trim clips.. They look slightly cleaner, but I hadn't really cleaned them since I pulled them from the JY. I don't really see any difference other than that... They are perhaps a tad bit whiter, but the clips weren't too yellow to begin with. It didn't damage the clips at least. They seem a bit more flexible now, but it may just be my imagination. Article said to do it for a minute or so, so I let them sit in the water for about 5 mins.

lostforawhile
06-21-2012, 04:50 PM
they make plastic trim clip removal tools, companies like eastwood carry them, the cheap ones aren't much good but the good tools will pay for themselves when you can save hard to find clips,if you can remove them then you can boil them.

2drSE-i
06-22-2012, 07:15 AM
I wonder if this would work on the door trim? At least to clean it up?

2oodoor
06-22-2012, 08:14 AM
wonder if you could use the Ronco :)steam machine as seen on TV and accomplish the same thing

DBMaster
06-22-2012, 08:20 AM
Ron Popeil would be proud!

Dr_Snooz
06-22-2012, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the heads up, DB. That's a neat trick, if it works. I wonder what would happen if you boiled the newer aerodynamic headlight covers that all seem to turn yellow and cloudy after a few years.

Signing off to go boil stuff now.

2oodoor
06-22-2012, 01:13 PM
I don't know but the optical grade plastics may get worse by boiling . I know they get more porous is why they fog up.

Very interesting tip to try.

DBMaster
06-22-2012, 02:07 PM
I have pretty much accepted the fact, now that I also have a vehicle with the big-lensed plastic headlights, that replacing them at some point is just going to be a maintenance item. I tried one of those Turtle Wax "restoration kits" on my girlfriend's 2003 Highlander and while it cleared the plastic somewhat it did not last very long and now they look worse than before I "restored" them. I have seen some aftermarket ones for her car on Rock Auto for about $150 each and that is what I am recommending she buy at this point. You may be able to use plastic polish or sealant on the outside, but the INSIDE deteriorates, too, and there's not much you can do about that.

Legend_master
06-22-2012, 02:26 PM
I have pretty much accepted the fact, now that I also have a vehicle with the big-lensed plastic headlights, that replacing them at some point is just going to be a maintenance item. I tried one of those Turtle Wax "restoration kits" on my girlfriend's 2003 Highlander and while it cleared the plastic somewhat it did not last very long and now they look worse than before I "restored" them. I have seen some aftermarket ones for her car on Rock Auto for about $150 each and that is what I am recommending she buy at this point. You may be able to use plastic polish or sealant on the outside, but the INSIDE deteriorates, too, and there's not much you can do about that.

I learned a little trick one time to fix that for cheap. If you apply some power steering fluid to the headlights it will eliminate the haze and yellowness. Does nothing for the microcracks tho. It last about 3 to 4 months.

DBMaster
06-22-2012, 03:04 PM
Excellent. I will give that a try. Now that I don't have a Honda I can use a little of my leftover bottle of P/S fluid. LOL.

Dr_Snooz
06-23-2012, 09:06 PM

I never understood why they don't make those lenses out of glass. I guess I do understand it. It's just like everything else you buy nowadays. The sooner it turns to crap, the sooner you're back at the store buying it again.

I remember when Benz redesigned the E-class to have those lenses. After about 5 years, they all turned yellow. I lost all respect for Benz after that.

89HatchbackLxi
06-23-2012, 10:46 PM
About 4-5 months ago I restored the headlights (via sandpaper and buffing/polishing method [not w/ an actual headlight repair kit]) on my mom's Honda Odyssey then put headlight sealant on them and they are still looking pretty good so far. They haven't turned back to yellow, or at least not yet. I didn't recall seeing any deterioration on the inside of the lenses though, maybe that only happens on specific vehicles?

lostforawhile
06-24-2012, 06:12 AM

the ones on the Lincoln are shot, and you can't buy them at the dealer or aftermarket, I have a couple of spares,going to separate the glue in hot water and see if I can clean both the inside and outside of the lenses up.

lostforawhile
06-24-2012, 06:17 AM
I never understood why they don't make those lenses out of glass. I guess I do understand it. It's just like everything else you buy nowadays. The sooner it turns to crap, the sooner you're back at the store buying it again.

I remember when Benz redesigned the E-class to have those lenses. After about 5 years, they all turned yellow. I lost all respect for Benz after that.
you can thank our government for that, you can buy glass lenses for cars that originally had them,but new lenses have to be plastic, "to protect pedestrians" you might hit, doesn't matter that you can't see them with your yellow lenses, but they won't get hit with that sharp glass!!

DBMaster
06-24-2012, 06:30 AM
I am going to make sure to wax the lenses on the headlights and taillights when I wax the rest of the car. It worked really well on the black plastic mirrors on the LXi. If I'm not mistaken, most modern car waxes have UV inhibitors in the formulations. I also have a very light abrasive plastic polish (Novus brand) that I bought at The Container Store about a hundred years ago. It kept the plastic trim on the front of the Accord looking new and kept the taillight assembly smooth and shiny.

You know what I'll bet is similar if you can't get plastic polish? The compound that comes with a CD/DVD restoration kit. I have used my plastic polish, successfully, to get scratched optical discs working and they are made of polycarbonate.

Of course, these things won't help cloudy, yellowed lenses. Maybe maintenance is the key. I guess I'll find out.

lostforawhile
06-24-2012, 08:14 AM
I am going to make sure to wax the lenses on the headlights and taillights when I wax the rest of the car. It worked really well on the black plastic mirrors on the LXi. If I'm not mistaken, most modern car waxes have UV inhibitors in the formulations. I also have a very light abrasive plastic polish (Novus brand) that I bought at The Container Store about a hundred years ago. It kept the plastic trim on the front of the Accord looking new and kept the taillight assembly smooth and shiny.

You know what I'll bet is similar if you can't get plastic polish? The compound that comes with a CD/DVD restoration kit. I have used my plastic polish, successfully, to get scratched optical discs working and they are made of polycarbonate.

Of course, these things won't help cloudy, yellowed lenses. Maybe maintenance is the key. I guess I'll find out.if you look on honda tech I think,there;s a good guide to restoring the plastic with finer and finer sandpaper,then you use plas-x on the final step to protect them, the issue isn't maintenance, it's the fact that UV light deteriorates the plastic, not only from the sun,but from the bulbs themselves, that deterioration happens on the inside of the lens, they are designed to fail. I'm seriously thinking of making molds and pouring new polycarbonate lenses for the lincoln, there is simply no other way to fix them,no way to get new ones, and they are so bad, I can't see at night. I have a spare set I can pry the lenses off of. You can get the optical grade polycarbonate and mold material at craft supply stores,it's the same stuff they pour to trap objects in for paperweights

DBMaster
06-24-2012, 09:12 AM
Tim, that is a good observation. That also makes me question why the manufacturers don't add more UV inhibitors to their plastics. Perhaps they cannot do it AND maintain transparency? Planned obsolescence seems to be the common thread. That was why I liked my glass lens H4 housings. They may not have looked as trendy as the plastic versions, but mine were still good after 13 years installed.

lostforawhile
06-24-2012, 10:03 AM
Tim, that is a good observation. That also makes me question why the manufacturers don't add more UV inhibitors to their plastics. Perhaps they cannot do it AND maintain transparency? Planned obsolescence seems to be the common thread. That was why I liked my glass lens H4 housings. They may not have looked as trendy as the plastic versions, but mine were still good after 13 years installed.
yea I need to get some of those myself the old sealed beams are getting harder and harder to find,walmart here doesn't even carry them anymore,actually I don't think anyone in town carries them, I think you are right on parts being made to fail,when you can't find parts anymore,you get frustrated and get a newer car, at least the general population does

89HatchbackLxi
06-24-2012, 09:46 PM

Of course, these things won't help cloudy, yellowed lenses. Maybe maintenance is the key. I guess I'll find out.

Glass polish also seems to work really good. Then again, finding that stuff anywhere except online or by making it yourself is nearly impossible.

DBMaster
06-25-2012, 05:28 AM
Tim, I think that JC Whitney sells the Maxtel housings. I actually bought them online based upon someone else on this forum buying them here.

http://www.rallylights.com/

This company does not carry them anymore. They do have Hellas, which are better and more expensive. I bought all of my replacement bulbs here. They tended to last a lot longer than anything else I purchased and the Hella long life H4's were still in the cars after several years of use.

2oodoor
06-25-2012, 09:08 AM
I wouldn't put anything on the headlights, not till it's out of warranty anyways.

Tim, I'm pretty sure Keystone has those Lincoln headlights.

Before any of the headlight restoration products came out we used to use Meguiars plastic cleaner and then plastic polish. It smells like bananas, and we used to restore golf cart windshields made from Plexiglas and Lexan. LOL it also worked pretty good on my polycarbonate spectacles. Not ones with scratch coat on them though.
Maybe try mushed up banana peels? :rolleyes:

I don't believe in putting wax on new cars or new paint too so everybody has their basis for forming opinions.

DBMaster
06-25-2012, 10:24 AM
Hmm. I did some amount of online research about whether or not to wax multi-stage paint on new cars. It seemed like the unanimous opinion was "yes" with a lot of differing on what product to use. I have used Meguiar's standard maroon package cleaner/wax for many years. I used to attend car shows and noticed that people were using the stuff on their $3,000+ paint jobs. It kept the Accord's paint shiny and beading water for 23 years. I can tell you that I saw MANY other polar white Accords that had chalky messed-up paint due to not waxing.

If I could find something conclusive that actually says not to wax I would be thrilled. It's not exactly a fun chore.

89HatchbackLxi
06-25-2012, 12:07 PM
I don't believe in putting wax on new cars or new paint too so everybody has their basis for forming opinions.

Same here.

It really just depends how long the paint has been on the car. If the paint has been on the car for 90 days or more, it's pretty much a guarantee that waxing the car it won't harm the paint. As long as there's the clear coat layer on top, the number of candy or tint layers under it shouldn't effect whether or not you should wax the car. If the car's paint was applied less than 60 days ago, it might be a good idea to wait another month or so before you wax it for the first time. Especially in cooler climates.

DBMaster
06-25-2012, 02:51 PM
Rock Auto appears to have headlight assemblies for the 1990 Town Car at under $100 each. Still not chump change, but at least they are out there.

2oodoor
06-25-2012, 04:19 PM
I expect the increased role these newer car headlights play in the entire facia , and the size, they are made of improved grade plastics.
Honestly is been longer than i care to say, that i've even had anything worth putting wax on. Going by what i see happen to vehicles at work though it wears down the clearcoat and makes the car age. These are cars that stay outside all the time though and never get pampered. It erks me too to see wax on black matte and all in the cracks, poor applications.

Garages are a blessing to have.

lostforawhile
06-25-2012, 05:26 PM
Rock Auto appears to have headlight assemblies for the 1990 Town Car at under $100 each. Still not chump change, but at least they are out there.
I can mold new ones for the cost of one lens, and I believe I can get a uv inhibitor for the acrylic, people have molded impossible to find taillight lenses and turn signal lenses for decades, headlight lens should be the same only bigger

DBMaster
06-26-2012, 08:30 AM
Guy, I agree about garages. I lived in Corpus Christi for a couple of years when the Accord was only a whipper-snapper and the heavy dew combined with all the ocean and chemical plant crap that gets blown around by the constant 30 mph winds would quickly corrode a car. I saw plenty of 3G's back then with visible rust, especially around the trunk lid.

A friend of mine down there had a new Cadillac STS which she did keep in the garage. She told me, "How much is the crap worth that fills most people's garages?" Good point. In my area they park on the street because their garages are full of crap. So, a brand new car sits on the street getting beat on by the Texas heat, rain, HAIL, and the occasional drunk that runs into parked cars. I guess it must be easier in states where the houses have basements. Still, I get pissed at my neighbors for congesting the neighborhood streets.