PDA

View Full Version : Running like a subaru

Project 86 3G
06-25-2012, 07:45 PM
So I searched around and didn't find a real answer to my problem. My 86 Accord LX (carb) was stalling out of no where last week so based on the info I found here I replaced:

Air Filter
Distributor Cap & Rotor
The actual Distributor (Hitachi) with a brand new one
Ignition Coil (MSD)
Spark Plugs (NGK)
Spark Plug Wires (NGK)
Fuel Pump
Fuel Filters (ALL)
Cleaned Carb

Now here comes the best part. I started it up this morning after installing everything and oh boy did it run like a champ!!!

20 minutes later it started knocking under acceleration only and then I lost all of my power.:wtf: It sounds like a Subaru while idling around 1200rpm and stalls when warmed up.

I checked everything I replaced and all parts seem to be good but not sure if the distributor is defective. All plugs fire and no water/oil mixture.... so I am baffled at this point and quickly turning into an alcoholic. I think I will need therapy after this.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone

Dr_Snooz
06-25-2012, 08:13 PM
Start by checking your timing.

Project 86 3G
06-27-2012, 10:55 AM
ok, so I checked the timing and it is dead on. I did pull all the plugs and cyl. 3 and 4 are fouled but cyl. 1 and 2 are normal. I checked spark and they are firing.. any suggestions? Would the MSD Blaster 2 coil cause the distributor to go bad?

I am thinking the distributor might be defective. Kragen ordered a new distributor so I can swap it, just to rule it out.

Project 86 3G
06-27-2012, 05:51 PM
Alrighty then... just replaced the distributor with another new one and no change in condition. :banghead:

Anyone???

Dr_Snooz
06-27-2012, 09:17 PM
Honestly, it sounds like your carb is going into retirement. I'm not the resident carb expert though.

HLW
06-28-2012, 12:30 AM
I agree with Dr. Snooz that it is probably your carb. I see you're in Orange County, CA, you can take the car to Carburetor Land, they have 2 locations, one in Carson and the other in Lakewood. I have taken 3 cars to them to rebuild the carbs. They do a good job in 4 hours if they have to rebuild our carb, but if they have a rebuilt on on the shelf, they will give you that one and it will only take 2 hours. I took my 86 to them in October, something clogged the primary jets so I took it back and they cleaned the jets. Since then the car has been running smooth.

Oldblueaccord
06-28-2012, 09:03 AM
I would recheck the sparkplug wires esp. They can go bad. The ends on the cheap ones are not molded on and can break easily.To me if it was running great and 20 mins later its not something you did recently is suspect.

Another thing real quick is get it running around 2000 rpm and then slam the choke down until the car almost stalls and rev it up real quick. Do it three times and see what that gets you.

wp

Dr_Snooz
06-28-2012, 08:05 PM
Do it three times and see what that gets you.

wp

Here's praying that it will be a gigantic explosion. That would be cool.

Project 86 3G
07-05-2012, 06:55 PM
Here's praying that it will be a gigantic explosion. That would be cool.

:rofl:

Ok, so I am not sure what that was supposed to do but I ended up getting a new carb (Thanks HLW). Ran much better but just out of curiosity I rechecked cyl #3 and #4 and to my surprise almost no compression. YAY. More $$$ down the drain... my eye is now twitching.

Vanilla Sky
07-05-2012, 07:14 PM
Yeah, sounds like a blown head gasket between the third and fourth cylinders. Head gaskets aren't terribly difficult on these cars, and a top end gasket kit doesn't cost much.

Project 86 3G
07-06-2012, 09:44 AM
Yeah, sounds like a blown head gasket between the third and fourth cylinders. Head gaskets aren't terribly difficult on these cars, and a top end gasket kit doesn't cost much.

So the mechanic wanted to charge me 900 to change the head gasket. I gave him the finger. He said that these heads are known for cracking. Wasn't sure about that. Anyone? I just don't want to dump more money into changing the gaskets if the head ends up being cracked. Any idea what it would cost for a new head?

POS carb
07-06-2012, 02:11 PM
if it sounds like a subaru thats a sign 1 or 2 cylinders are not firing.
This could be caused by many things, I would not start on the carb. If all 4 plugs are sparking and are not physically damaged I would do a compression test. You can even get the gauges as loaners from autozone
Remove all 4 plugs and test each cylinder. if one cylinder fails miserably pour some oil in it (about 2oz) and test again. If pressure increases you have a problem with your piston rings. If no increase then you have a burnt valve or a hole in the piston.
If you can shoot some compressed air into the spark plug hole you can listen to the carb throat, exhaust pipe, radiator cap hole, and oil filler hole to see where you are loosing pressure (this must be done on the compression stroke for each cylinder).
Don't throw money at it! :b

Vanilla Sky
07-07-2012, 07:53 AM
Charging extra because there might be an issue is asinine. The most I've paid for a cylinder head is $50 from a junkyard. Look for a car that has crash damage that would put it into a junkyard.

POS carb has a good point. Don't just throw money at it. A leak down test will let you track down what is leaking.

Dr_Snooz
07-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Charging extra because there might be an issue is asinine.

x2. Sounds like the mechanic is sandbagging you. I wouldn't let him touch the car.

Project 86 3G
07-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Thanks everyone. Looks like I will be getting rid of the car since it is going to cost more to replace the head or engine.

Vanilla Sky
07-12-2012, 04:39 PM
There's only a small chance that your head is cracked. These heads are NOT known for cracking unless severely overheated. I'd replace the head gasket and keep the car. It's a whole lot cheaper to repair the car you have than replace it, especially if you sell the car broken.

Tread
07-12-2012, 07:35 PM
It's a whole lot cheaper to repair the car you have than replace it, especially if you sell the car broken.

x9000 You are absolutely correct!:D

ecogabriel
07-12-2012, 07:44 PM
Thanks everyone. Looks like I will be getting rid of the car since it is going to cost more to replace the head or engine.

Do the compression tests suggested, and if worse comes to worse, grab the service manual from this website, read it carefully and follow instructions TO A T. Then loan a torque wrench from Autozone, remove the head and inspect. You would not spend money doing that, and you may get the car back in business in no time if the gasket is the problem

Any brand suggestions for the gasket?

2drSE-i
07-12-2012, 08:03 PM
Mechanics kill me. Rather than diagnose the ACTUAL problem, they throw money at it. Only catch is, its your money!

Sounds like you know what the issue is. It's always cheaper to fix the car you have now, than to buy a car that has issues you don't know about.