PDA

View Full Version : Center Console

HelenKellerrr
06-26-2012, 02:22 PM
Why is it soooo hard to find a SE-i center console with cupholders and the armrest in tan? Its depressing:madflip:

obdriver6
06-26-2012, 02:28 PM
I know your pain but you just have to be patient!

DBMaster
06-26-2012, 02:33 PM
Funny thing. I could have bought a center arm rest when my car was new. Now that I have a car that came with one from the factory it just seems to be in the way. Also, the "factory" cupholders are not that great. I installed one of these and liked it much better.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/folding+cup+holder.do?sortby=ourPicks

Very well made and holds a variety of beverages securely. Only drawback for me was that it was installed on the door so if there was a drink in it you needed to close the door carefully. :)

89HatchbackLxi
06-26-2012, 02:34 PM
Took me almost a year to find cupholders...

ShyBoyCA6
06-26-2012, 02:38 PM
thats the only thing honda messed up on. Say if you put a 16oz tall can it will block the radio completely.

Dr_Snooz
06-26-2012, 06:44 PM
I looked for a few months to find an armrest in tan. I found a few that were completely destroyed. Which isn't much help, really. If you manage to find one that wasn't ripped out of the car in several pieces by others and driven over by forklifts, the hinge will always be broken from wear and neglect. The rubber cover over the e-brake is always going every which way. The leather is always completely fubar, of course. After months of searching, I finally found one that was only mostly destroyed. I was able to repair it with parts from another armrest I found elsewhere in the same yard. I at least have a working one that I can clean up and reupholster now. I haven't decided whether I will install it yet. I haven't figured out a way to deal with the rubber cover and looking at it each time I get in the car will drive me bananas.

Anyway, plan on a long search followed by a lot of restoration work.

obdriver6
06-27-2012, 12:29 AM
^^ Makes me glad that the one I found was pretty good other than the blue cover on the back! :P

Vanilla Sky
06-27-2012, 12:41 AM
I've had cup holders and I sold them. They're only worth tracking down for the rarity, not for actual usage. I have a tan armrest here that I'm going to look at restoring. It has no pad and the leather is only barely there. The only oddity is that I have a maroon interior. I guess I'll have to paint it.

The tan ones do seem to be the most common. I've only seen a maroon one with my own eyes once, but I've seen so many tan ones that my head is full of fuck.

Snooz, have you thought about removing the rubber, knocking the flocking off, and baking it flat at a low temp? I've done that with other rubber that I needed to make lay flat again with good success. If my trashed armrest has one, I'll give it a go and take pics and do up a how-to.

MessyHonda
06-27-2012, 10:12 AM
thats the only thing honda messed up on. Say if you put a 16oz tall can it will block the radio completely.

if you have an aftermarket stereo like everyone should now days you could use the remote...thats what i use

Bassmastry101
06-27-2012, 10:44 AM
Plastic can be repaired if you have the patience. Even if its in perfect shape, you can always paint it. Had a maroon and grey center console and painted it flat black. Blends in perfect with tan/black dash.

Dr_Snooz
06-27-2012, 10:13 PM
Snooz, have you thought about removing the rubber, knocking the flocking off, and baking it flat at a low temp? I've done that with other rubber that I needed to make lay flat again with good success. If my trashed armrest has one, I'll give it a go and take pics and do up a how-to.

I hadn't considered it. I don't really know what to do with it, truthfully. A how-to that works would be awesome.

senor honda
06-28-2012, 12:02 AM
Is everyone here a car restorer?
Reading this thread, my car must look really strange to someone restoring a stock car.

I did some things to get more access under the dash and to save me time when I am tracing wires.

I long ago removed the console and recarpeted the tunnel. It looks cleaner
with only the shifter and boot. I removed everything on up to just below the
A/C controls and that gives me better access to the under dash wiring. I made quick release brackets to keep the air controls snugged against the A/C vents.

I fabricated air ducts from the A/C center and A/C d-side stock vents
so the fabricated vents aim specifically at the driver, in the belief that if the driver is cooled or heated, then the rest of the car is irrelevant.

I trimmed and mounted universal cup holders on the doors, forward of the door handles and the window switch on the p-side. and mounted them level with the window opening. Nothing sloshes when I close the door since I always have a lid on my cups.

On the p-side I made a quick release bracket down low to hold my spotlight
which perfectly fits into the former speaker hole in the p-side door.

Under the glove compartment is where I mounted my MSD ignition box
to keep it dry and out of the weather.-Bob

Legend_master
06-28-2012, 09:25 AM
Is everyone here a car restorer?
Reading this thread, my car must look really strange to someone restoring a stock car.

I did some things to get more access under the dash and to save me time when I am tracing wires.

I long ago removed the console and recarpeted the tunnel. It looks cleaner
with only the shifter and boot. I removed everything on up to just below the
A/C controls and that gives me better access to the under dash wiring. I made quick release brackets to keep the air controls snugged against the A/C vents.

I fabricated air ducts from the A/C center and A/C d-side stock vents
so the fabricated vents aim specifically at the driver, in the belief that if the driver is cooled or heated, then the rest of the car is irrelevant.

I trimmed and mounted universal cup holders on the doors, forward of the door handles and the window switch on the p-side. and mounted them level with the window opening. Nothing sloshes when I close the door since I always have a lid on my cups.

On the p-side I made a quick release bracket down low to hold my spotlight
which perfectly fits into the former speaker hole in the p-side door.

Under the glove compartment is where I mounted my MSD ignition box
to keep it dry and out of the weather.-Bob

I would like to see pictures of the cupholders, sounds interesting.

Bassmastry101
06-28-2012, 10:24 AM
Bob, do you have any pics? This sounds pretty cool!

Dr_Snooz
06-28-2012, 08:00 PM
We definitely need pics!