PDA

View Full Version : warm start issue

rocketman
07-01-2012, 05:44 AM
I know that this forum is for 3G Accords, but I've always received decent advice here, so here goes. My '89 Accord is running fine with almost 550k on it. I just (last month) bought a '93 del Sol for my 16 year old, had a new transmission, clutch, water pump, timing belt done (have receipts) 10k ago, like 195k on the car. We're doing the body work . . . car runs perfect, except for one small thing. Once in a while it won't start. Is will start when dead-cold from overnight, but if you shut it off after running it for 5 minutes, cranks all day, not start. Lots of spark . . . can't determine if there is a fuel issue as the plugs are somewhat wet from just having been run. Not flooding. Car will start from cold, problems if warm. It's a 1.5 with F/I. Suggestions? Rocketman

MessyHonda
07-01-2012, 09:07 AM
sounds like the main relay

Keachman1
07-01-2012, 09:44 AM
The main relay is the first place I would start also. Pull it out and resolder the joints or get one from the jy. Hondas are notorious for bad solder joints when the circuit boards get a few years on them.

If that doesn't work, check the fuel pump for flow and pressure. There should be a wire to activate the pump for testing purposes. Check you manual.

Also, a compression test will tell you alot about the shape of the engine is in. Low compression can make an engine hard to start when its warm.

rocketman
07-03-2012, 04:09 AM
Thanks guys! Any idea where I could find this main relay? Fuse block? Under the dash? Rocketman

Keachman1
07-04-2012, 08:31 AM
Download this manual for the 93 civic and it should give you an idea where to look for the relay. The civics are similiar to the Del Sols if I remember correctly. Page 950 of the manual gives the location of the main relay as being located in the driverside kick panel.

http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals/Civic/

rocketman
07-05-2012, 03:43 AM
Thank you Keachman! Rocketman