PDA

View Full Version : Oem fog lights

89GhostLxi
07-02-2012, 10:11 AM
i just recently came across some oem bosch fog lights, they came with the switch and brackets. The only thing they are missing is the harness. I tried looking in the how to section but the wiring diagram isn't showing up. how would i wire them with the stock switch functionality (lighting up the button lights)? i want it to look stock but i don't see the chances of finding another oem harness. i searched for questions relating this but nothing really answered my question.

thanks in advance!

Dr_Snooz
07-02-2012, 07:10 PM
Well, the OE switch doesn't light. At all. No bulb. So you can save yourself that trouble. The relay mounts on top of the DS shock tower and the ground screw is next to the radiator on the DS kinda toward the top. The wires are wrapped in some kind of black plastic that resembles shrink wrap that hasn't been shrunk. Here's a pic of my engine bay so you can see where the relay mounts.

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq132/dr_snooz/DSCN2071.jpg

As for wiring diagrams, I've searched high and low and cannot find one anywhere. The closest I was able to come was a basic sketch for the newer Civics. I thought I saved it, but cannot find it now. The fogs must have been a dealer installed item because the factory manual doesn't mention them anywhere.

So basically, I've written a lengthy post with little useful info.

You're welcome.

89GhostLxi
07-02-2012, 10:36 PM
Well, the OE switch doesn't light. At all. No bulb. So you can save yourself that trouble. The relay mounts on top of the DS shock tower and the ground screw is next to the radiator on the DS kinda toward the top. The wires are wrapped in some kind of black plastic that resembles shrink wrap that hasn't been shrunk. Here's a pic of my engine bay so you can see where the relay mounts.

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq132/dr_snooz/DSCN2071.jpg

As for wiring diagrams, I've searched high and low and cannot find one anywhere. The closest I was able to come was a basic sketch for the newer Civics. I thought I saved it, but cannot find it now. The fogs must have been a dealer installed item because the factory manual doesn't mention them anywhere.

So basically, I've written a lengthy post with little useful info.

You're welcome.

I just got them out of the mail box and I looked at the switch lol. Well since I thought I was going to lose some functionality in it i wanted to ask and make sure, I have never seen one of these in person before. IMO they should've lit up, would've gone with the entire dash at night but whatever lol. As for the diagrahm I've looked every where as well.. The service manuel doesn't even cover fog lights or even a switch to it. Thanks for the help! I'll have to pick up a harnes from oriellys I guess!

89GhostLxi
07-03-2012, 05:50 PM
I haven't looked but I'm assuming I need to take the bumper off to put the foglights on right?

89HatchbackLxi
07-03-2012, 06:20 PM
I haven't looked but I'm assuming I need to take the bumper off to put the foglights on right?

Unless you are a pro at fishing wire in tight spaces.

89GhostLxi
07-03-2012, 08:26 PM
Unless you are a pro at fishing wire in tight spaces.

I don't even see the mounting holes, bumper is gonna come off

charliekuney
07-03-2012, 09:05 PM
The OEM brackets I had mounted with the bumper. They matched up to the back of the bumper mounts (the square ones mounted on the chassis that the actual metal bumper attaches to) and screwed on with the same three bolts. Sorry if that's a terrible explanation...

So yes, the metal bumper (along with the plastic cover) needs to come off, as well as the mounts behind it (one on each side, square with rubber in the middle, three bolts).

Ignore the circle, it's actually the whole part.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e186/paso100/3.jpg

lostforawhile
07-03-2012, 09:44 PM
that makes sense ,then the bracket would be bent where the threaded holes were inside of the covers. on the switch, does it have a pigtail with wires? I don't see why it wouldn't light,every other switch does. if it doesn't have a pigtail and just has a plug, send it to me and I will modify it with a pigtail so you can hook it up. I just remove the plastic around the pins,figure out the circuit, and solder the wires directly to the pins, if it has five pins it should be illuminated, most honda switches the icon lights up with the lights, then there is a lighted indicator when it's on. as far as the wiring,it's just like wiring most aftermarket fog lamps, standard bosch type relay, they all have the same numbers, go to the yard and get one cheap out of a ford or a Nissan,

pin 30 power from battery,starter terminal etc, this MUST be fused as close to the source as possible, usually a 20 amp fuse is fine.

pin 87 this goes to your lamps, one relay will handle both lamps fine

pin 86 goes to your low beam headlamp circuit, tie in at a lamp,this only lets the light operate when the low beams are on, fogs should only be used with low beams anyway, alternately you could tie this into a running lamp bulb, this would still make sure they are off with the lights

pin 87 grounding this pin will cause the relay to close when the parking lamps or low beams are on,depending on how you wired it. when the relay closes the fogs come on,since most Honda switches are a grounding type switch, I will assume it's setup this way. I will need more info on the switch first though

89GhostLxi
07-03-2012, 10:27 PM
that makes sense ,then the bracket would be bent where the threaded holes were inside of the covers. on the switch, does it have a pigtail with wires? I don't see why it wouldn't light,every other switch does. if it doesn't have a pigtail and just has a plug, send it to me and I will modify it with a pigtail so you can hook it up. I just remove the plastic around the pins,figure out the circuit, and solder the wires directly to the pins, if it has five pins it should be illuminated, most honda switches the icon lights up with the lights, then there is a lighted indicator when it's on. as far as the wiring,it's just like wiring most aftermarket fog lamps, standard bosch type relay, they all have the same numbers, go to the yard and get one cheap out of a ford or a Nissan,

pin 30 power from battery,starter terminal etc, this MUST be fused as close to the source as possible, usually a 20 amp fuse is fine.

pin 87 this goes to your lamps, one relay will handle both lamps fine

pin 86 goes to your low beam headlamp circuit, tie in at a lamp,this only lets the light operate when the low beams are on, fogs should only be used with low beams anyway, alternately you could tie this into a running lamp bulb, this would still make sure they are off with the lights

pin 87 grounding this pin will cause the relay to close when the parking lamps or low beams are on,depending on how you wired it. when the relay closes the fogs come on,since most Honda switches are a grounding type switch, I will assume it's setup this way. I will need more info on the switch first though

On the back of the switch it just has 3 pins. There's no spot for a light bulb and the actual button is not going to let light through even if a light bulb was some how mounted back there. It's strange to me the switch isn't lit but neither is the power mirror adjuster switch..

as for mounting the brackets I'm kinda following what you are saying, I think I'm going to have to just take it apart to figure it out.

lostforawhile
07-03-2012, 10:38 PM
On the back of the switch it just has 3 pins. There's no spot for a light bulb and the actual button is not going to let light through even if a light bulb was some how mounted back there. It's strange to me the switch isn't lit but neither is the power mirror adjuster switch..

as for mounting the brackets I'm kinda following what you are saying, I think I'm going to have to just take it apart to figure it out.

it sounds like you can just wire the switch with one wire to ground,and then a grounded output,that will work with the relay as I described

89GhostLxi
07-03-2012, 10:40 PM
it sounds like you can just wire the switch with one wire to ground,and then a grounded output,that will work with the relay as I described

Yea I found a wiring harness that has a diagrahm with it, it's pretty basic though because it's universal.

charliekuney
07-04-2012, 04:33 PM
it's pretty basic though because it's universal.

These cars are pretty basic. Anyway, here's what I can clarify: the mounts for the fog lights are like giant washers you put behind those square bumper mounts when you install them, then the fog light mount hangs below and comes through the two holes in the bumper beneath the turn signals.

Also, your button sounds just like my OEM button - three pins, no light or bulb locations. Mine looks nearly identical to the cruise control button.

89GhostLxi
07-05-2012, 01:20 PM
Call me a moron but I can't get it, this isn't working I've tried mounting them any way I could and it's not working

89GhostLxi
07-05-2012, 04:06 PM
So I tried to mount them between the plastic bumper and the metal bumper support and it lined up. The problem though is my bumper holes won't allow the Bosch head lights to fit in. I noticed on the brackets they say "86" I'm assumeijg it's be because it's from an 86, would it mater they are from an '86 since mine is an '89? I have t looked at the prefacelift and facelift bumpers enough to notice any real difference dimensionally..

lostforawhile
07-05-2012, 05:50 PM
So I tried to mount them between the plastic bumper and the metal bumper support and it lined up. The problem though is my bumper holes won't allow the Bosch head lights to fit in. I noticed on the brackets they say "86" I'm assumeijg it's be because it's from an 86, would it mater they are from an '86 since mine is an '89? I have t looked at the prefacelift and facelift bumpers enough to notice any real difference dimensionally..

unless it's a hatch the bumpers are different

Dr_Snooz
07-05-2012, 06:57 PM
Any chance you can post pics of what you have and how you are trying to mount it?

89GhostLxi
07-05-2012, 11:05 PM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7108/7513096806_d677e48e52.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/76908000@N03/7513096806/)
Image (http://www.flickr.com/photos/76908000@N03/7513096806/) by 89Sei (http://www.flickr.com/people/76908000@N03/), on Flickr

i lined it up here and figured thats the way the way the brackets should be sitting. This obviously didn't work when my bumper goes on due to the mounts integrating with the metal reinforcement of the actual bumper. i then tried to put the mount in front of the metal support and behind the styrofoam of the actual plastic bumper and it did not sit right. if i actually tightened the bolts and put the entire bumper on the bracket would hang down in the opening like it would work but it is to far back for the fog light to actually mount on to.

charliekuney
07-05-2012, 11:12 PM
I have t looked at the prefacelift and facelift bumpers enough to notice any real difference dimensionally..

The two bumper styles have completely different fog light locations. The older ones are farther back as the bumper goes back more at the bottom.

1986-1987 sedan and 1986-1989 hatch:
See the vent things under the turn signals and note how the fogs are kinda tucked back...
http://www.3geez.com/forum/vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=485&d=1194140964
http://www.carstylingpics.com/pics/cars_large/26311_65886.jpg
http://www.torehaugen.com/assets/images/1986_Honda_Accord_Aerodeck_20_EXI_1_600.jpg
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/3136/1861/7838430134_large.jpg
http://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2011/10/18/20/15/1987_honda_accord_sedan_lxi-pic-3390781334390236925.jpeg

1988-1989 sedans and coupes:
See the openings and fogs are more forward...
http://www.pbase.com/jcb/image/115057850.jpg

charliekuney
07-05-2012, 11:14 PM
Yep, those ones are for 1986-1987 because they mount to the front of the bumper mounts. 1988-1989 mount to the back.

89GhostLxi
07-05-2012, 11:15 PM
yea i started looking around and started seeing they were a bit set back more on the bottom.. i don't think my mounts are for the sedan, and thats what i need.

edit: just saw charlies post. that blows.

charliekuney
07-06-2012, 01:01 AM
Sucks, but at least you can sell them here. Plenty of people want those.

JC Barker
07-06-2012, 07:16 AM
Just to clarify, you DO NOT need to remove the bumper(on an '89), to do the install.

charliekuney
07-06-2012, 08:21 AM
Just to clarify, you DO NOT need to remove the bumper(on an '89), to do the install.

How so? Where do yours mount to?

JC Barker
07-06-2012, 08:48 AM
How so? Where do yours mount to?

Don't remember, right off the bat, but they wouldn't be on there if I had had to take the bumper off. :)

lostforawhile
07-06-2012, 11:02 AM
Don't remember, right off the bat, but they wouldn't be on there if I had had to take the bumper off. :)

it takes five minutes to take the bumper off, take out the turn signals, four bolts,four screws at the edges of the bumper and it pulls straight off, I just took one off at the yard

89GhostLxi
07-06-2012, 11:41 AM

my brackets actually say "86 L" and "86 R" so I'm sure they're not for my 89. i curious as to how the 88-89 mounts go in. i just got back from the junkyard and every 3rd gen didn't have the mounts. so ill just have to keep looking.

Dr_Snooz
07-06-2012, 08:39 PM
Are you sure you can't just do some bending with a bench vise and a 5# sledge to make them work?

lostforawhile
07-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Are you sure you can't just do some bending with a bench vise and a 5# sledge to make them work?

I was looking at the pictures and they mount a totally different way for the 86 VS the 89, one mounts on top of the mount,one behind it, thats a good three inch difference at least

89GhostLxi
07-07-2012, 11:21 PM
I was looking at the pictures and they mount a totally different way for the 86 VS the 89, one mounts on top of the mount,one behind it, thats a good three inch difference at least

I was going to see if I could find something to extend the thread a good couple inches lol that's all I can think of I only need about 2 inches to connect the back of the fog to the mount

obdriver6
07-08-2012, 05:40 PM
I have a partial harness for the fogs if you still want pics but I have to find it first.

Hash_man_Se_i
05-12-2013, 07:07 PM
I don;t want to start a new thread as this thread seems to be on the same topic, wondering if anyone can give me some insight on what I am doing wrong as I feel stumped. Given I have probably taken far too many allergy and sinus pills today so my mind may not be working right, but this just seems stupid. I mounted my fog light brackets up to the bumper mounts which seem to fit quite well. However when I go to put the bumper on they appear to sit too high and the bumper won't slide into place. I tried mounting them behind said bracket as someone mentioned in here, but they don't seem to line up properly when doing so. Any insight would be great. Here is where I am at right now... and for the record I feel stupid for not being able to figure this out, but it just wont work...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7311/8734296944_f425f94697_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7296/8734297380_66b085315e_z.jpg

charliekuney
05-13-2013, 08:53 AM
People need to pay more attention when removing parts such as these. lol

ghettogeddy
05-13-2013, 10:13 AM
Allot of the time they are not the onrs that removed them.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Hash_man_Se_i
05-13-2013, 10:16 AM
Allot of the time they are not the onrs that removed them.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Precisely... These were pulled off a car in New Zealand, then shipped to me...

carotman
05-13-2013, 02:14 PM
You need to cut your bumper metal reinforcement. The JDM cars had basically no reinforcement compared to our North American Version. This is what I had to do on my car to fit the OEM JDM fog lights.

Also, I found out a couple of minutes ago that the OEM Acura Legend 1991-1995 fog lights are the same as our JDM version. They're just clear instead of yellow.

Hash_man_Se_i
05-13-2013, 03:48 PM
You need to cut your bumper metal reinforcement. The JDM cars had basically no reinforcement compared to our North American Version. This is what I had to do on my car to fit the OEM JDM fog lights.

Also, I found out a couple of minutes ago that the OEM Acura Legend 1991-1995 fog lights are the same as our JDM version. They're just clear instead of yellow.

Thank you for the info Carot! it is much appreciated. I thought that might be the case, but wanted to hear from someone who had done this before I went and cut up my bumper.

AccordB20A
05-13-2013, 10:46 PM
i put the brackets on like you have in your pics, then the bumper back on and bolted up. and while the indicator lenses are still out install the foglight thru the hole and bolt it to the bracket. align it tighten it and done

mine sit pretty much perfect.

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv240/accordb20a/newfogs_zps27b837a8.jpg

Hash_man_Se_i
05-14-2013, 06:35 PM
i put the brackets on like you have in your pics, then the bumper back on and bolted up. and while the indicator lenses are still out install the foglight thru the hole and bolt it to the bracket. align it tighten it and done

mine sit pretty much perfect.

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv240/accordb20a/newfogs_zps27b837a8.jpg

Yea, I will need to trim this part of the bumper like Carot said though, if you didn't have to then NZ must have the same bumpers as Japan/Europe.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7314/8734423830_b5d8c960ac_z.jpg

AccordB20A
05-14-2013, 10:12 PM
yeah my cars a jap import so we dont have railway lines to re-enfoce the bumpers

A18A
05-14-2013, 10:23 PM
must be why all of our bumpers are warped, and none of theirs are

Hash_man_Se_i
05-17-2013, 05:41 PM
yeah my cars a jap import so we dont have railway lines to re-enfoce the bumpers

Lol... Railway lines hey? One of you guys should take a picture of the back side of a NZ spec bumper when you get a chance, I am curious.

AccordB20A
05-17-2013, 09:07 PM
yeah theres not much to them, probably why none of them ever line up straight over here

mint89
08-01-2014, 08:32 AM
hello all

I know this qustion has been asked time and again. I picked up some auto Si fogs from local junk yard. ( Prelude SI)I have most of the wiring harness, but its not complete. it includes connections to lights, the relay, ground wire and three groups of leads. one set has two wires: yellow/green and red blue. I think these are the switch leads. the two others groups coming of the harness have 3 leads each. red/white, red/greem and red/blue. they are the same colors for both of these groups. I also have a oem accord switch with the foglight emblem and red dot botton. on back are three contacts one clearly marked ground. back to the harness. I dont know were the three lead groups should go or how to wire them for my 89 honda lxi,

Pease help.

charliekuney
08-01-2014, 03:12 PM
^ #doublepost

Civic Accord Honda
08-04-2014, 01:31 PM

strange. the orange Dot on all 4 of my oem fog switchs lit up O.o

gti69
06-08-2017, 08:34 AM
I don;t want to start a new thread as this thread seems to be on the same topic, wondering if anyone can give me some insight on what I am doing wrong as I feel stumped. Given I have probably taken far too many allergy and sinus pills today so my mind may not be working right, but this just seems stupid. I mounted my fog light brackets up to the bumper mounts which seem to fit quite well. However when I go to put the bumper on they appear to sit too high and the bumper won't slide into place. I tried mounting them behind said bracket as someone mentioned in here, but they don't seem to line up properly when doing so. Any insight would be great. Here is where I am at right now... and for the record I feel stupid for not being able to figure this out, but it just wont work...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7311/8734296944_f425f94697_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7296/8734297380_66b085315e_z.jpg

Hi,

Would you have dimensions for this bracket by any chance? I want to fabricate mine. Especially distance between the two mounting holes as they are not lined up - just need to know what is the off set. Dimensions of the 'up' and 'forward' arms would be good as well.

Cheers,
Tom

William
10-02-2018, 10:32 PM
I clarifies the advantages of front mist lights, the parkway code expresses that you should utilize headlights when imperceptibility is truly lessened, you may likewise utilize front or back haze lights yet you should turn them off when imperceptibility progresses...