PDA

View Full Version : Stock stereo problem.

elarson88
07-04-2012, 09:35 PM
I just picked up a stock Honda stereo from the junkyard, and only the tape deck seems to work. It is the base model one with the manual tuner. The AM/FM lights do not come on. There is no static or anything, it is completely dead other than a slight click from the speakers when the power is turned on. When a tape is inserted, then it plays and can be heard fine. My wiring harness was cut off, but I cut off the plug from the junkyard one and wired it back into the hacked off one in the car. The antenna jack is plugged in and everything seems in order. Any idea if this is something repairable or should I just return this one?

lostforawhile
07-04-2012, 10:06 PM
I just picked up a stock Honda stereo from the junkyard, and only the tape deck seems to work. It is the base model one with the manual tuner. The AM/FM lights do not come on. There is no static or anything, it is completely dead other than a slight click from the speakers when the power is turned on. When a tape is inserted, then it plays and can be heard fine. My wiring harness was cut off, but I cut off the plug from the junkyard one and wired it back into the hacked off one in the car. The antenna jack is plugged in and everything seems in order. Any idea if this is something repairable or should I just return this one?
it's probably junk,the only simple fix that it might be, there is a microswitch that tells the deck when a tape is inserted, if it's stuck, the deck thinks there is always a tape in,that could possibly be fixed

DBMaster
07-05-2012, 05:56 AM
I had some issues with the power/volume knob on my original head unit. I took the front panel off and sprayed it really well with tuner (electronics parts) cleaner. You can get a can at Radio Shack or a hardware store. It works for many things.

Dr_Snooz
07-05-2012, 07:15 PM
Most car stereos have a fixed life span. I think any stock 3g stereo is way, way beyond it now. I'm a huge fan of restoration, but even I have an aftermarket deck. I tried to keep the stock one, but it just wouldn't do it. If you're a real factory original snob, there are repair places you can send them and for a few hundred dollars, they will fix them.

elarson88
07-05-2012, 08:47 PM
I think I'm just going to take it back to the jy and exchange it with a newer Honda stereo with cd that will just plug in. Either way I only paid $7.50 for it so who cares if it didn't work out.

lostforawhile
07-06-2012, 10:58 AM
I think I'm just going to take it back to the jy and exchange it with a newer Honda stereo with cd that will just plug in. Either way I only paid $7.50 for it so who cares if it didn't work out.

I would keep it and get another one someone might want it,they are really hard to find, I would almost bet it's that microswitch, that switch tells it to go from tuner to tape

elarson88
07-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Theres 2 more just like it in the jy here. I took this one bacause it was the cleanest. Doesn't seem like too rare of a part in this part of the world anyways. They also have 11 3rd gens there right now. (most are just base models, so no fancy parts really) If I knew how to pull an engine I would be all over that though!

lostforawhile
07-06-2012, 11:11 PM
Theres 2 more just like it in the jy here. I took this one bacause it was the cleanest. Doesn't seem like too rare of a part in this part of the world anyways. They also have 11 3rd gens there right now. (most are just base models, so no fancy parts really) If I knew how to pull an engine I would be all over that though!

just read through the how to's on here it's not that bad

elarson88
07-07-2012, 07:42 AM
I did but the only one I could find was the "quick advanced" method. I would need more of a how to with step by step instructions and pictures. Is there a link to something more along these lines?

lostforawhile
07-07-2012, 07:47 AM
I did but the only one I could find was the "quick advanced" method. I would need more of a how to with step by step instructions and pictures. Is there a link to something more along these lines?

have you looked at the factory manual on the wiki? it's free to download, and you might want to start a thread also, we can probably walk you through it step by step

Dr_Snooz
07-07-2012, 08:30 PM
The manual makes the job super easy.