PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a clutch for nippondenso compressor

POS carb
07-06-2012, 07:31 AM
Compressor clutch took a dump on me. I can't seem to find one at a reasonable price, it's like $40 more to get the whole compressor. Any suggestions?

Can I use a clutch from a different compressor? I don't care if it has 6 grooves

Compressor is Nippondenso 10P15E
Here are the part numbers I have found so far:
38900-PH3-N01
473-0107

DBMaster
07-06-2012, 08:18 AM
I found this just on a quick search. This is probably what you mean by too expensive.

http://www.discountacparts.com/addtocart~year~1987~make~Honda~model~Accord~descri pt~A-C_Compressor~part~60-01173.asp

How old is the compressor itself? If it were me I would just replace the whole darned thing, but the climate down requires nearly year round use of the compressor.

POS carb
07-06-2012, 09:16 AM
compressor is probably about 3 years old.
Last week the clutch started making noise and when I looked I noticed it was spinning slowly with the a/c off. Today it wouldn't engage at all.
I am hoping maybe the center is a pretty universal diameter where I can install a clutch off another car, it's a pretty basic design

Will any of these work?
http://www.polarbearinc.com/PBPC/homepage/Search/CL/CL_Nippondenso_Dimensions_1.html

DBMaster
07-06-2012, 10:36 AM
Never replaced just a clutch, but that is what burned up in my first Denso compressor after 11 years. The one that was in the car when I wrecked it was only two years old and it was noisy after only about a year. The old one made noises for at least 8 of those 11 years. Why, oh why, couldn't Honda have picked a decent compressor for these cars. If I were having to replace the whole thing I would SERIOUSLY consider an aftermarket new compressor!

lostforawhile
07-06-2012, 11:18 AM
compressor is probably about 3 years old.
Last week the clutch started making noise and when I looked I noticed it was spinning slowly with the a/c off. Today it wouldn't engage at all.
I am hoping maybe the center is a pretty universal diameter where I can install a clutch off another car, it's a pretty basic design

Will any of these work?
http://www.polarbearinc.com/PBPC/homepage/Search/CL/CL_Nippondenso_Dimensions_1.html
it's going to look like it's spinning,thats normal, it's just not engaged, are you sure it's actually the clutch? jumper power directly to the clutch wire with the car off first, a number of things can cause it to not engage including low system pressure or an electrical issue. if you jumper power and it clicks,it's good

POS carb
07-06-2012, 12:05 PM
yea man I know it's fudged. The center is spinning about 1/2 the speed of the outer part and making noise, it should be stationary when the clutch is off. I wonder if I could kludge a custom clutch...

2oodoor
07-06-2012, 12:49 PM
I don't even know why they sell comp clutches, it's better to replace the whole unit in the long run. The success rate for not having the front seals leak after replacing just the comp clutch is pretty low. It's a gamble I wouldn't take unless it was a used clutch for a few bucks or free
Lost the front of it isn't supposed to be moving at all when disenguaged.

lostforawhile
07-06-2012, 02:14 PM
I don't even know why they sell comp clutches, it's better to replace the whole unit in the long run. The success rate for not having the front seals leak after replacing just the comp clutch is pretty low. It's a gamble I wouldn't take unless it was a used clutch for a few bucks or free
Lost the front of it isn't supposed to be moving at all when disenguaged.

mine always moved a little I thought it was supposed to, it always worked until the compressor blew a seal

2oodoor
07-06-2012, 04:09 PM
No, that is the first indication the clutch is failing.
It is the (I will call them) grommets, usually three, placed to cushion the clutch enguagment and position the outer clutch surface. One or more are no longer holding the outside hub horizontally center.

This makes one edge of the outer hub ride on the opposing clutch surface even when the coil is disenguaged, basically behaving like a slipping clutch.

The entire assembly then overheats and can take out the remaining grommets, and cause the outer hub to lose center. Everything riding on the compressor hub can be affected, including the shaft seal.

When we would replace compressor clutches, one of the procedures was to check the measurement between the two surfaces with a feeler guage and use shims to achieve the correct gap.

Dr_Snooz
07-06-2012, 07:50 PM
yea man I know it's fudged. The center is spinning about 1/2 the speed of the outer part and making noise, it should be stationary when the clutch is off. I wonder if I could kludge a custom clutch...

Kludges require pix.

2drSE-i
07-06-2012, 07:51 PM
It seems like a waste to replace the whole compressor, but honestly, it's probably your best bet. Get a NEW compressor though, these reman parts SUCK

POS carb
07-09-2012, 05:49 AM
compressor is fudged. Ordered a new one. no vaseline