PDA

View Full Version : steering wheel nut

jzdude
07-06-2012, 09:32 PM
Can you reuse the steering wheel nut? I replaced the column multi-switch with a LX column multi-switch. When I tightened the nut up it was too tight and the steering wheel rubs against the connector wheel and squeaks. The manual says to replace the nut, is this the reason why?

conozo
07-07-2012, 07:57 AM
I believe that they tell you to reuse because it has the plastic self locking threads on it and the plastic threads may wear out. I would just look at the threads and see if they are in good shape and reuse it if they are. I have taken mine off about 4 times without any problems.

lostforawhile
07-07-2012, 09:46 AM
Can you reuse the steering wheel nut? I replaced the column multi-switch with a LX column multi-switch. When I tightened the nut up it was too tight and the steering wheel rubs against the connector wheel and squeaks. The manual says to replace the nut, is this the reason why?

is it hitting the plastic surround around the wheel? the DX switch and the LXI switch sit differently on the column the bracket is in a slightly different location, this means there are two different plastic surrounds that go around everything, the lx one may be the same

Legend_master
07-07-2012, 09:47 AM
Shouldn't be a problem, I re-used mine many times.

2oodoor
07-07-2012, 10:23 AM
is it hitting the plastic surround around the wheel? the DX switch and the LXI switch sit differently on the column the bracket is in a slightly different location, this means there are two different plastic surrounds that go around everything, the lx one may be the same

this^^^
My LX does this but only if the outside temperature is above 87 degrees, I may have the wrong switch.

lostforawhile
07-07-2012, 01:27 PM
this^^^
My LX does this but only if the outside temperature is above 87 degrees, I may have the wrong switch.

I measured the location of the welded on bracket once and it's different, I had to do a crap load of work to make an LXI hatch combo switch work in my dx, If I had known they were different when I grabed the switch I would have just grabbed the entire column and surround and swapped it

Dr_Snooz
07-07-2012, 07:37 PM
If you're concerned, just hit the nut with some blue loctite. That's what I do with those replacement nuts.

MessyHonda
07-08-2012, 01:47 AM
its safe to reuse the same nut.