PDA

View Full Version : Removing a CB Antenna?

mattisonfire
07-09-2012, 06:51 PM
Does anyone know how to remove a CB antenna without scratching or damaging the window? Any tool I should use?

I also took a video of what it looks like;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ENswK9kkkg&feature=plcp

Thanks!

derolph
07-14-2012, 10:21 AM
I also have one of those antennas on my 88 LX-i and would like to know how to remove it. I see that parts of the antenna are bonded to the window both outside and inside.

DBMaster
07-14-2012, 03:15 PM
This looks like it might work. If you have an Xacto knife you can buy blades that look like tiny, thin chisels. I have used them. Also, a singled-edged razor blade (the type used in scrapers) might be able to get under the mount.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5507116_remove-cell-antenna-glass.html

obdriver6
08-05-2012, 08:17 PM
I had one too but I can't remember how I got it off! :P

lostforawhile
08-05-2012, 08:32 PM
hahahahahhahahahahhaha!!! thats not a CB antenna, kids today, thats a cell phone antenna lol, if the wire is still there follow it and I'll bet you find the transceiver part of the phone in the back somewhere, the phone went in the front and connected to the transceiver part with a cable similar to an ethernet cable. http://image.highperformancepontiac.com/f/14597378/hppp_0904_07_z+1992_pontiac_firehawk+in_car_phone. jpg mine worked up until the day they turned off analog

mattisonfire
08-10-2012, 09:31 AM
This looks like it might work. If you have an Xacto knife you can buy blades that look like tiny, thin chisels. I have used them. Also, a singled-edged razor blade (the type used in scrapers) might be able to get under the mount.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5507116_remove-cell-antenna-glass.html

You were right, it was only glued and this is exactly the tools they used at the garage who took it off for me.

http://www.mediafire.com/conv/92d6ac60d77cec08998bd9587738c4b5c6e7cda941ccafdd48 7012725e084ff86g.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/conv/0ff086e292b5154253518d6b54185e86e53c4ef77f290dfcfa e1105f023c52ab6g.jpg

DBMaster
08-10-2012, 12:28 PM
Excellent. In the earlier days of digital cell phones - the late 90's - there were cradles specifically designed for certain phones and some of the older phones had connectors on the back that would allow you to connect your phone with the wire to the antenna. As Lost mentioned, members under the age of 30 won't have lived through early analog cell phones and the first digital models that operated on VERY limited networks. My 1998 vintage Sprint (Samsung) phone was my first and it only had service in major metro areas. Communications have come a long way in a short time.

Glad you were able to remove the thing.

Dr_Snooz
08-10-2012, 06:47 PM
Wow. Back in the day, those were a real status symbol because cell phones were so expensive. Having one made you cool. That was shortly after the car bra fad faded away.

Ah, memories.

lostforawhile
08-11-2012, 05:47 AM
Wow. Back in the day, those were a real status symbol because cell phones were so expensive. Having one made you cool. That was shortly after the car bra fad faded away.

Ah, memories.

mine still worked until they turned off the analog service about 8 years ago, I got a lot better reception with the analog then I do with the digital around here,here the signal drops out and you lose calls constantly with the old analog I always had a clear and strong signal

DBMaster
08-11-2012, 09:02 AM
You already know this, but with digital there is a threshold. You have signal, then you don't. Analog could keep you talking, but you would have static noises. It took me a while to get used to digital communications because the signals are compressed and you don't get "all" of someone's voice. At first, things sounded almost robotic. Now we're all just used to it. That is why, I learned, that compressed voice over IP phone lines cannot be used for faxing. It may sound like it's all there, but it's not.

import racer
08-12-2012, 03:31 PM
sometimes progress is not always better.

lostforawhile
08-12-2012, 04:31 PM
sometimes progress is not always better.

especially in rural areas, many sparsely populated areas out west completely lost cell service when analog shut down, the big carriers don't want to cover miles and miles of area with just a few people. a lot of the analog towers out there were owned by very small or one person operations

DBMaster
08-12-2012, 07:47 PM
I didn't know that. I live in a rapidly growing metro area. Coverage has been improving steadily over the years. Since I didn't have the dough to have a cell phone in the analog days I never realized there were actually those who LOST coverage during the digital switch.

lostforawhile
08-13-2012, 08:23 PM
I didn't know that. I live in a rapidly growing metro area. Coverage has been improving steadily over the years. Since I didn't have the dough to have a cell phone in the analog days I never realized there were actually those who LOST coverage during the digital switch.

they don't want to put coverage where there aren't many subscribers, they would put it along popular roads,populated areas etc, but there are large areas in the country that simply don't have coverage, don't believe the maps I was supposed to have good coverage from T mobile here LOL, it's economics, towers cost money to build and operate, if you have just a few people in sparsely populated areas you lose money building coverage, many of the old analog towers were able to reach wide areas, the old phones were also much higher powered, digitals are lower wattage and the coverage simply isn't as good, requiring more towers

dieselgus
08-13-2012, 08:30 PM
I miss the hell out of my Nokia C12 bag phone. That thing got reception anywhere!

Oh, and the easy way to get those things off the window is a plastic trim tool. The other method (which also works awesome for getting any 2 sided taped emblem or whatnot off) is to use a little WD40 and some non waxed dental floss to saw through the tape.

DBMaster
08-14-2012, 11:51 AM
Dental floss. That sounds like a good one. I have used monofilament (fishing) line the same way. It works, too.

Dr_Snooz
08-14-2012, 08:34 PM
they don't want to put coverage where there aren't many subscribers, they would put it along popular roads,populated areas etc, but there are large areas in the country that simply don't have coverage, don't believe the maps I was supposed to have good coverage from T mobile here LOL, it's economics, towers cost money to build and operate, if you have just a few people in sparsely populated areas you lose money building coverage, many of the old analog towers were able to reach wide areas, the old phones were also much higher powered, digitals are lower wattage and the coverage simply isn't as good, requiring more towers

Hey, they don't even want to serve the populated areas. If you use too much data, they throttle you. There was a time in this country when customer demand for a service was considered a good thing and you built out your product to meet demand. I miss those days.