PDA

View Full Version : hydro lock????

89AccordHatch
10-19-2002, 05:52 PM
i wanted to build a cold air intake...but someone metioned hydro lock......is that like...water in the carb or somthing?

mike_fx_u
10-19-2002, 08:14 PM
hydro lock is when u take a larger amout of water in the cylinder. what happens is water cant be compressed like a air gas mixture so you will blow something up in this situation.

hope helps
Mike

bobafett
10-20-2002, 02:34 PM
how efficient is a bypass valve, i am worried that even with one of those i would get too much h20 in there.. :) damn washington weather!

mike_fx_u
10-20-2002, 04:15 PM
iam not sure, i heard someone say it gets wet when it rains but cause's no problem even without a bypass valve. but if u by chance went in a puddle of water i think u would be fucked so be safe and use a bypass valve.

Mike

smufguy
10-20-2002, 07:08 PM
sounds like a project coming up for someone. :D

anchovies
10-20-2002, 08:32 PM
it works when the end of the intake pipe (ie filter) is submerged in water.
I have a cai and didn't worry about the bypass. I've run the car for a while with some water on the fender liner. Filter tip is touching water. No probs.

Immeraufdemhund
10-21-2002, 04:20 AM
well i had hyrolock with my stupid car when i had my stupid stock air.. The worst part is is that the water was only ankel deep. Ugh... stupid water.. So my engine went bye bye. We decided to drop a new engine in it. so i got my car back now. I put on a air intake, but it's just a short pipe with a filter on it.

jteuton
10-21-2002, 08:58 AM
Rain itself will not hydrolock an engine. You actually have to submerge the filter in water to do damage. As long as you don't drive in a flood and go through deep water there is no reason for a bypass valve. They did a test on a aem bypass valve on a nsx and submerged the filter completely in water and the flaps on the bypass valve came open to suck in air in the bay instead of water. It considerablely held the power of the engine back but saved the engine in the process.

shepherd79
10-21-2002, 10:16 AM
just get two intakes. one CAI for the summer and the other short one for the winter.

mike_fx_u
10-21-2002, 01:25 PM
do what ever makes u not worry. if you worry like a little bitch "woman" over hydrolock then use a bypass valve. u shouldn't have to worry too much over something and if u do fix it.

Mike

1988starter
10-21-2002, 06:30 PM
My friends had a talon and cut his pipe then re attached it with a rubber sleve so when it rained he could remove the end after the rubber sleve and attach the filter on the end.

jteuton
10-22-2002, 07:53 AM
I've got no inner fenders and my air filter is located right in front of my passenger tire. I admit my car is not my daily driver so when it rains hard I don't take it out but it has been in sudden showers before and I dare the thing to lock up on me

Immeraufdemhund
10-22-2002, 08:00 AM
it rains a lot in TN, why in the world would you put it so low? I've had flash floods like crazy over in Ktown. and to reply to another post further up. why would you want a short pipe for winter and not summer? snow should not become a problem, or from what i know. It would seem more logical to have it the other way around, A long pipe for the winter, and a short one fo the summer. I only have a short one. I'm still curious as to how water got up into my engine though, because i found were the water got sucked up into. When you take off your bumper there is this big black box with a little hole in the bottome. the entire thing is not air tight, so i'm thinking that even if water did get stuck in that little tank, it would seem to me that the water would not be able to make it from my bumper all the way to my car. It would seem that the stock hoses would leak enough air to keep the water down in the box. ugh.. oh well. it happened anyway.. (oops, time to get to class..)