PDA

View Full Version : camber question

import racer
07-12-2012, 10:09 AM
Hey guys I'm getting started to change motor&trans because my auto crap went.So took the spindle off and the axle,found the bottom bj was shot so beat that out.Then I noticed that the upper ball joint/control arm was odd.I looked at the ends where it bolts on and one end has a camber offset block.I checked the other side and the same,both are towards the front of the car.Anyone know why this was done.http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z304/importracer1987/Picture012.jpg

DBMaster
07-12-2012, 12:05 PM
The car was not lowered, was it? I actually put an Ingall's kit on my passenger side years ago to correct some negative camber that existed from the day the car was new. It made my tires last longer. When I later replaced the UCA's I did not re install the Ingall's kit because I didn't need it anymore.

import racer
07-12-2012, 04:23 PM
No the car wasn't lowered,just don't why it's on both sides but just on the front of both upper control arms.

DBMaster
07-13-2012, 05:53 AM
I think there's a good chance that somebody had the same problem as I did. In the OEM configuration there is no adjustable camber and if you have a little negative camber (mine was 1.5 degrees) you'll wear off the inside edges of your tires before the rest of the tire wears out. In the long run it's quite a bit cheaper to add the camber kits than it is to keep prematurely replacing tires. Only problem is that now you'll have to get an alignment when you put it back together. I know NTB charges extra money to adjust alignment if you have add-on stuff like the camber kits. I doubt all places charge extra, though.

import racer
07-14-2012, 12:26 PM
Yeah I'm not sure why it was done but I guess I'll leave it the way it is.

Oldblueaccord
07-15-2012, 01:44 PM
I run about -2 all the way around. I don't get any bad wear if fact the tires I run wear very even or better than stock and the tread rating is usually 200. Used to be the tires would wear the outside edges a there mileage limit with the stock specs

wp

DBMaster
07-15-2012, 02:24 PM
You are fortunate. For years, the only issue with my alignment was a -1.5 degree on the front right and the inside edge would wear noticeably faster than the rest of the tread. You can't compare treadwear rating numbers from one brand to another, but my tires (195/60H14) were always 400 or better. I don't know your driving habits but mine are, putting it mildly, aggressive. I often took corners at the car's handling limits. That was one of the things that made it fun, even if it meant getting less life out of my tires.

import racer
07-15-2012, 05:07 PM
Yeah I'm not sure why it was done but I guess I'll leave it the way it is.
Drive It Like You Stole It