PDA

View Full Version : Engine removal.

elarson88
07-14-2012, 08:12 PM
So I'm going to attempt removing my engine. How much of the work has to be done from under the car? I have a jack but it doesn't lift very high. How high should the car be off the ground for this?

ShyBoyCA6
07-14-2012, 08:27 PM
Some of these questions are common sense.... you need enough space for YOU to go down there. I'm guessing you haven't searched on this. So search! Its there you just got to look for it.

A18A
07-14-2012, 08:49 PM
Only things under the car that needs doing to get the motor out is to remove the axles, remove the shift linkages (or cable if auto) and the exhaust. everything else is done from up top.

You're not actually under the car when removing axles though, just do that while the car is in the air

elarson88
07-14-2012, 08:52 PM
Only things under the car that needs doing to get the motor out is to remove the axles, remove the shift linkages (or cable if auto) and the exhaust. everything else is done from up top.

Thanks. That was the type of answer I was looking for :) I have never removed an engine before so nothing has become common sense for me yet...

import racer
07-15-2012, 11:34 AM
I just did mine and I disconnected as much as I could before I rented the hoist.The only thing I was under there was the trans mount because I was switching to manual from auto.The only problem I had was the hoist dropped a couple inches and broke my dip stick tube so I have to get that out and find another one.Sorry for jackin your thread man.

Dr_Snooz
07-15-2012, 03:54 PM
I put a couple jackstands under the front subframe and that was pretty much all the space I needed for pulling the engine and doing the MT swap. Changing out the shifter was tight, but do-able. Unless you are able to string a come-along from the rafters, an engine hoist is non-negotiable.

POS carb
07-16-2012, 05:20 AM
are you trying to remove it from under the car with a floor jack?
If you are you will have to get the car up pretty damn high. get yourself an engine hoist, they are about $250, I'd put the aggravation level of pulling and installing a motor with floor jacks at over $100000000 :)

elarson88
07-16-2012, 07:48 PM
Yeah I'm Probably just going to go rent an engine hoist when the time comes. I might go try to get the new motor first because they have free engine hoists at the junkyard and I can "practice" I'm just kinda sketched out by working under the cars there as they are only sitting on stacks of old rims.

Dr_Snooz
07-16-2012, 08:29 PM
It's worse when you run across the occasional car that has fallen over......