PDA

View Full Version : brakes, turn signal, clock not working

DemonicAngel
07-14-2012, 10:24 PM
I am finishing up my efi conversion but the following do not work:
turn signals, brake lights, clock, gauge cluster light and probably other stuff as well.
However, my head lights and tail lights do work.
I tested the clock wire harness plug and it has power and is grounded properly yet does not work.
Please help

lostforawhile
07-14-2012, 10:37 PM
I am finishing up my efi conversion but the following do not work:
turn signals, brake lights, clock, gauge cluster light and probably other stuff as well.
However, my head lights and tail lights do work.
I tested the clock wire harness plug and it has power and is grounded properly yet does not work.
Please help

which circuit in the clock has power? the one for memory or the one that is switched on with the key? what wiring did you change?

DemonicAngel
07-15-2012, 12:15 AM
i tested each wire on that plug as described by the manual so i would assume that both the memory and turn key to on position work. it passed all the tests the manual suggested or at least i believe i did it properly.

i changed the engine and main wiring harness for the efi conversion. i kept my old dash harness as it was optional for the conversion.

lostforawhile
07-15-2012, 05:00 AM
i tested each wire on that plug as described by the manual so i would assume that both the memory and turn key to on position work. it passed all the tests the manual suggested or at least i believe i did it properly.

i changed the engine and main wiring harness for the efi conversion. i kept my old dash harness as it was optional for the conversion.

I can't remember did it plug in? I'm thinking there are differences, I would bet you have a ground point off somewhere, I know the efi cars have cruise control built into the harness as well as the power mirrors vs the manual mirrors as part of the harness, the check engine light is also part of the EFI harness for the dash, I have to look at the electrical manual again, how do you have a check engine light if you kept the carb harness? you should have just gone ahead and swapped out the dash harness and the instrument cluster, the carb cluster has no provision for the check engine light, it's deleted in the cluster

lostforawhile
07-15-2012, 05:32 AM
if it shows you have voltage and yet the clock doesn't come on, assuming the clock used to work, you need to do a voltage drop test, use a 12 volt bulb or something like it with leads, connect it first between the switched lead at the clock harness, and ground, measure the voltage across the bulb, if it's dropped a lot, you have a bad connection or a bad ground connection, now repeat this test with the memory lead, a meter can indicate voltage in a circuit,even with a bad connection,because it's a high impedance device, it takes so little current when measuring voltage, that enough will flow through a bad connection to indicate voltage, when a load is added though, current can't flow properly, and you will see a voltage drop, never believe a meter,especially a digital one,in an automotive circuit, connections go bad from corrosion, vibration,dirt,etc, and the meter will still indicate it's good, it has it's place, but pair it with a test lamp, often the meter will indicate voltage, but the test lamp won't light,or is very dim indicating a problem