PDA

View Full Version : Had an 89LXi hatchback, didn't know what I had... now have a line on an 86dx hatch.

goodluckfox
07-16-2012, 02:24 PM
It was 2003. I was riding a bike to work. I didn't have a daily driver after the divorce. My only car was my 68 Pontiac Catalina, and it wasn't in drivable condition... huge quantities of beautiful white smoke indicated Something Was Seriously Wrong with my .30" over 455.

Then came Hurricane Elvis, aka "The Mid South Derecho of 2003". It's on Wikipedia. In addition to 100+ mile an hour straight line winds, it dumped a ton of rain... and one of my coworkers tried to drive his 89 LX-i hatchback through some deep water, and it stalled out.

He knew that I was a car guy, or at least that I worked on my 68 Pontiac. He asked for help. The symptoms were that the clutch would not disengage. I did some research and told him to just bump the ignition. He did, and it worked. But by that time, he had his heart set on a new car, and he came from a pretty wealthy family. Well, compared to me, at any rate. They lived in the nice part of Memphis.

He sold me the car for 900 bucks, and let me pay it off over 3 pay periods and drive it in the meantime.

I had a car.

It was low slung and pointy, and had lots of pep. I named it Zippy. The only thing wrong with it was no AC, and an exhaust leak that made it sound a bit more badass than it probably was. I really enjoyed driving Zippy.

Dad died unexpectedly the next year, and I wound up (a) inheriting his brand new paid-off 2003 Lesabre and (b) going to law school, because I was tired of being poor.

I've since graduated and got a VERY good job. It's embarrassing when I think about how hard Dad worked and how much he made compared to me. But for the fact that I've got six figures of student loans with payments more than most mortgages I would probably go mad with power.

The sanitation worker on my route saw that Zippy had been sitting for a while. I bet the sanitation crews know where all the best cars are. He told me he had a teenage son and was looking for a car for him. I sold him Zippy for four hundred bucks.

Four years have passed now. I'm still driving the Lesabre; it's PAID for, and did I mention six figures of student loans? Besides, I have a wonderful new wife now, and I splurged and bought her a new Honda Fit that I hope to get paid off in a year or so (I hate paying interest, I hate being poor). Thing is, I want something else. The Lesabre is big and comfy with its leather and power everything and functional AC... but I want something else. Something FUN.

Don't get me wrong, the 68 Catalina is a monstrous fire breathing dragon, and I love it dearly; when the secondaries on the carb open up she roars down the highway and I am the envy of most any guy over the age of about 30. :) But she's an automatic vehicle with a low-revving high-torque engine and "wide-trak" 60s era sales literature to the contrary, she doesn't exactly carve through the corners. Lately, she doesn't even do that; rust has gotten to her fuel tank and there are some electrical gremlins that need to be flushed out.

But I remember Zippy... 5-speed in a small light car. I was able to fit everything I owned in it, and it was sooo much fun to drive. I want another just like it, or as much like it as I can find, that I can then build up and modify to my hearts content.

That's when I found out that Zippy was special, since it was the end-of-generation LX-i model. CRAP! Oh well.

But as luck would have it, there's a lady at work who drives a third-gen Accord hatchback. It's only a DX, but it looks just like Zippy... and it has functional AC (critical here in the Deep South). It's a 86 Accord DX hatchback with a 5-speed transmission. Probably about as close to what I'm looking for as I'm going to get.

I sent the lady an email... and she responded that she had just been thinking about selling the car. Sweet!

Even if there's things wrong (it's probably due a timing chain, probably needs CV joints, that type of thing),. I"m pretty sure they can all be fixed.

I'm currently reading through the FAQs here, looking to see what sort of things are reasonably possible. I'd like to soup the car up some, but I really am not interested in doing an engine swap myself, and I don't know yet if the HP/'torque gains are worth it. Maybe I could find some SCCA autocross events, or I could troll the local police by not being what they expect when they pull me over for driving a "punk kid's" car. It'd also make a nice "toad" behind my RV, as soon as THAT projects gets completed (doesn't need much, just lipstick as they say in the real estate biz).

If anyone has advice on what sort of modifications are worthwhile, I'm all ears.

2oodoor
07-16-2012, 03:09 PM
Welcome! I love your story.
Im on a mobile so short and sweet , weber carb swap if you're not emissions tagged, lxi sway bars , 89 brakes, 15 inch light alloy wheels, megajolt programable ignition, 20 % tint on all windows, new joints and bushings, new cv axles, 2.25 inch exhaust
You will love Zippy once more....

Dr_Snooz
07-16-2012, 08:45 PM
Welcome! Hope you get the car.

lostforawhile
07-16-2012, 08:55 PM
you will like the dx better, lighter and it doesn't have those stupid belts attached to the doors, manual windows, and none of the hatchbacks had power door locks anyway, Like roodoo said if you don't have emissions do the carb swap, or you will be fiddling with that possessed POS forever trying to fix it

2oodoor
07-17-2012, 01:37 AM
^^^yeppers , the 86 DX 5 speed I had that I put the modified intake manifold and 38 Weber I got fom Cygnus...responded so well to the modification and with no other mod at all. It changed the whole personality of the car and I don't mean into a whiz bang ricer either . It had soooo much more low rpm torque i really didn't need to thrash it to feel the difference.

goodluckfox
07-17-2012, 05:05 PM
^^^yeppers , the 86 DX 5 speed I had that I put the modified intake manifold and 38 Weber I got fom Cygnus...responded so well to the modification and with no other mod at all. It changed the whole personality of the car and I don't mean into a whiz bang ricer either . It had soooo much more low rpm torque i really didn't need to thrash it to feel the difference.

Interesting. I'm especially interested in low-RPM torque. I don't see myself driving at ludicrious top-end speeds; 90 to 100mph is a rare thing for me. I think what I would like most is being able to get up to 60mph as quickly as possible, and to be able to go around corners really well. In other words, the idea is to make day to day driving fun, and maybe try this autocross thing. :)

So this MegaJolt thing... let me get this straight. You take some sort of distributorless ignition system part off a particular Ford, hook up the MJ box, and it reads your crank and tells the spark plugs when to fire? And it makes allowances for vacuum advance? What sort of effect does it have in the real world? I mean, how does the car behave differently? It sounds like something I may want to put on my 462 cubic inch Pontiac V8, and maybe my 403 Olds engine in my GMC Motorhome.

(Full disclosure: I own a 1968 Pontiac Catalina 2 door hard top, a 1977 Palm Beach GMC Motorhome, a 1978 Royale GMC Motorhome, a 2003 Buick Lesabre, and my wife's 2012 Honda Fit. My wife says I have a hoarding problem, and is digging her heels in about the 86DX hatch... My reponse is that the RVs are at the storage place, but her counter is that she doesn't want four cars in our driveway. I'm open to suggestions that don't involve (a) selling anything or (b) buying warehouse space. The back yard is not reachable and the side yards are too small to put a car of any sort, even the little hatchie. HELP!) :)

Dr_Snooz
07-17-2012, 10:08 PM
Give the motorhomes to ME!!!! Those old GMC motorhomes are AWESOME! Post pics.

goodluckfox
07-17-2012, 11:52 PM
Give the motorhomes to ME!!!! Those old GMC motorhomes are AWESOME! Post pics.

If you go to Youtube and look up user "goodluckfox" that's me. I've got a ton of videos, a few of which involve my GMC RVs and my 68 Catalina. :) The LXi never got to star in any of my videos. :(

lostforawhile
07-18-2012, 03:44 AM
on the motorhomes I think all the conversion stuff has already been figured out using off the shelf parts, most of the motor home guys spend a lot of time mainly trying to figure out ways to make that GM stuff more efficient to save gas

2oodoor
07-18-2012, 03:47 AM
I checked out a few of those :lol: you are crazy like a fox !
I wish I had video documented more of my vehicle ventures... awesome stuff .

I never realized some of those good looking GMC campers were FWD.

The megajolt ignition allows you to custom tune your advance curve to suit the needs of the particular vehicles application.

Like the 68 Poncho, you used to be able to take the distributor out and put it in a Sun distributor tuner to read/modify the advance curve, that is REALLY old school stuff right there.
http://www.arruzzahighperformance.com/Package/shop/dist2.jpg

88LXi68
07-18-2012, 05:07 AM
Welcome to the site and great story! Good luck with the new zippy.

goodluckfox
07-18-2012, 06:33 AM
The lady is having it repainted by a friend that does that sort of work, in preparation for selling it. Fortunately, I've seen the car (lusted after it covetously) in the parking lot for months; it's got a straight body and truth be told i didn't see the need for any paint. But, she can't back out on her friend, and as long as the paint is right, it will make the car that much spiffier.

It's got 130k miles on it. Owned by an older lady for years, by my older coworker lady for three years. I am going to assume that means that (a) the car hasn't been thrashed much, and (b) the timing belt will need changing. Right? What's the interval on timing belts?

New AC was put in during the previous 3 years, and the radiator and axles were "done" in her words.

She's asking $1400. Pre-painting, I offered $1000. I can afford it, I just don't want to get robbed... and there's not another one around that I can find. :)

SeanSelander
07-18-2012, 01:49 PM
1400 for a DX hatch with 130 and a straight body isn't that bad a deal IMO. My best advice would to talk her down to 1200, say it needs a little work and she should budge a bit ;)

As for performance, I'm no expert on the 3g but I know there's quite a few you can do.

If you stay carb'd, a performance carb will make a world's difference.

If you have the time, $$ and expertise I'd go the FI route :

CAI
Headers
2 1/4" exhaust
Short throw shifter
good plugs is a must for either setup
obd1 if FI, a good carb tuning if going carb

And you'll have your self one peppy little hatch without too much work!

lostforawhile
07-18-2012, 04:50 PM
I checked out a few of those :lol: you are crazy like a fox !
I wish I had video documented more of my vehicle ventures... awesome stuff .

I never realized some of those good looking GMC campers were FWD.

The megajolt ignition allows you to custom tune your advance curve to suit the needs of the particular vehicles application.

Like the 68 Poncho, you used to be able to take the distributor out and put it in a Sun distributor tuner to read/modify the advance curve, that is REALLY old school stuff right there.
http://www.arruzzahighperformance.com/Package/shop/dist2.jpg
where did you find that picture?

goodluckfox
08-02-2012, 12:25 PM
I just got a closer look at the car. The good news is that it's an LX-i hatch with the louvres. Yay! I wanted fuel injection, dangit! :)

The bad news is that I was so bedazzled by the idea of getting another Zippy that I didn't notice that it appears the current owner rearended somebody and messed up the hood, headlight, fender, and other stuff in that general vicinity. :( :( :(

The guy that's going to fix it for her had a death in the family. He's apparently going to give her a "friend price" That's good for me, because it give me time to rathole some money away to pay for the thing, and it'll be looking sharp once I get it. :)

Getting significant pushback from the wife, and finances are sketchy right now. :( (Sketchy as in I'm being responsible and don't have a ton of money I can fritter away on toys... if I wanted to skip paying the credit cards and student loans i could do it no problem. :) )

obdriver6
08-02-2012, 08:17 PM
Pretty cool story and welcome!